Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 01-06-2015

All good advice so far, and I will add a little. Custer State Park as mentioned has several paved road loops, but we found that there are several cross loop gravel roads that are very drivable in the family sedan, and we found herds of bison on those back roads. There are wild burros in the evening on the wildlife loop, take some apples slices, carrots to feed them. Ask people if and where they have seen the bison, as thats how we found out about the gravel roads.
Old 01-06-2015

Much nicer in September. I can't take the crowds. I know with school you probably have to compromise but if you can find a way. I love the west and REALLY hope I can make a trip out this coming year. I may just take the month of September "off" and do it.

Anyone want to run with me????

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 01-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
You will be able to stop at Wall Drug on the way. There's probably a sign directing you there.

When my youngins were small we went to Rushmore on the way to Yellowstone. Seems their favorite attraction was called cosmos or something similar where you can watch water run uphill and stuff like that.

Bring a toad.
You really got to be on the look out for the signs to Wall Drug, I believe there are 2. Tell the kids to be on close watch for them and tell you when they see one!!
Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 01-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherBroke View Post
... There are wild burros in the evening on the wildlife loop, take some apples slices, carrots to feed them.
GopherBroke:

Are you referring to these fine looking specimens?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burros.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	33298  

len.mcleod@gmail.com
Old 01-06-2015

Yep, and the two signs to Wall Drug are moved daily so you really DO have to be watchin for them. Like the South of the border deal going into South Carolina from North right?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 01-06-2015

That's them. We were very hesitant to leave the safety of the car, but we watched others out with them and they deserve respect but they are friendly.
Old 01-07-2015

We have stayed at ElkHorn Ridge in Spearfish which is nice if you want a pool and hot tubs. Good option for sight seeing the north side of the Black Hills.

Also stayed at Hart Ranch Resort which is on the east side of Rapid City. Centrally located and an easy drive to Rushmore and sights. We took advantage of the 3 days for $15 night package, they are a membership resort so you gotta meet with a resort host. Was expecting the high pressure sales pitch but actually very nice with no pressure at all. After the 3 nights the resort will allow non-members to stay if space is available and the rates were reasonable.

Camped at Angostura state campground south of Hot Springs which has a man made lake in the park. Nice campground with a sand beach. We stayed here in August and it was HOT so we toured the Mammoth Site which is covered by a dome and air conditioned.

All places I would stay again just depends on what part of the Black Hills you want to see. As others have said, lots to see.

As for sight seeing, you want your own vehicle because some of the best places are not easily accessible.

We have visited 2 times during the July 4th Holiday and were told that if you want to see the fireworks over Mount Rushmore plan on getting your spot by 10:00 AM. Not willing to wait 12 hours for fireworks so can't vouch for the show.

Last trip we were visiting Wild Bill's grave site when a B1 or B2 bomber roared thru winding between the hills (plane was fully tilted on the side, wings pointing to the sky and the ground). Only got a glimpse of the plane thru the trees. Coolest thing I ever seen, the roar was so loud people were crouching down expecting a plane to come crashing to the ground.
Old 01-07-2015

We have stayed here: http://www.hiddenvalleydeadwood.com

a number of times over the years. First camping trip with the BB last year here! Nice, small, private. Central location. Between Deadwood and Rushmore.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 01-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.wernlein View Post
Check into RafterJBar Campground. We stayed there a few years ago and enjoyed the campground. As I recall...they offered a car rental service.

http://www.rafterj.com/
Stayed at this campground also, I believe in 2010, nice campground.
Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 01-07-2015

We went through there just before the weekend of the 4th in 2013, and due to dry conditions, they had cancelled the fireworks show. Keep an eye on their website:

http://www.nps.gov/moru/index.htm

Chris Blegen
La Crosse, WI
1989 SP36 Silver Edition