Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 07-24-2015

I can see why some would not trust a cable system, but it has several advantages that suit me. It is easy to install and extremely quick to hook up or disconnect. I've used mine for eight years without a single problem. The slack adjustment is critical, but the vehicle has power brakes which are very hard to apply without the engine running, so I don't believe they would be dragging excessively on long downhills.
"The Aviary"
Old 07-25-2015

I have had 4 coaches and have never *wanted* a toad brake system. I have never even noticed the toad back there much less a difference in braking. I drive carefully and I do see the merits of a toad brake so no lectures please. If I have a toad brake installed I want it to be simple and not have to worry about it - that is what makes me drawn to a cable driven system. I can see the point about going down hill (which in CO is about half the time...) and activating the system. I would probably adjust mine out so that the amount of braking is minimal so downhill would not be a problem. I don't care if it takes me 10 more feet to brake in my coach, my brakes are good and my suspension *will* be great (new airbags, shocks and tires).
Besides, I am generally going to be the runner-over not the runner-overee...
Since I already have a great towbar (BlueOx) why would I not want to just add a $500 dongle + attachments between the coach and toad to give me toad braking and break-away vs. a $1300 braking/breakaway system?
Old 07-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairodice View Post
I have had 4 coaches and have never *wanted* a toad brake system. I have never even noticed the toad back there much less a difference in braking. I drive carefully and I do see the merits of a toad brake so no lectures please. If I have a toad brake installed I want it to be simple and not have to worry about it - that is what makes me drawn to a cable driven system. I can see the point about going down hill (which in CO is about half the time...) and activating the system. I would probably adjust mine out so that the amount of braking is minimal so downhill would not be a problem. I don't care if it takes me 10 more feet to brake in my coach, my brakes are good and my suspension *will* be great (new airbags, shocks and tires).
Besides, I am generally going to be the runner-over not the runner-overee...
Since I already have a great towbar (BlueOx) why would I not want to just add a $500 dongle + attachments between the coach and toad to give me toad braking and break-away vs. a $1300 braking/breakaway system?
there are 2 reasons for the braking system .

1. to stop the car in the event that it separate's from the coach ( it does occur)

2. In many states it is the Law

no lecture ,, just the facts

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 07-26-2015
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I believe the Air Force One is about as simple a braking system as there is. Not cheap, but easy to install and easy to hock and unhook.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 07-27-2015

Since the toad is not running would the hydraulic brakes work? Would the the hydraulic cylinder work better in this situation? I would think that it would be a lot of stress on a cable only system? It's like closing the door on a refrigerator: do you know the light went off?
Old 07-27-2015

Quote:
Since the toad is not running would the hydraulic brakes work? Would the the hydraulic cylinder work better in this situation? I would think that it would be a lot of stress on a cable only system? It's like closing the door on a refrigerator: do you know the light went off?
Yes, the brakes still work, it just takes a lot more pressure to put the brakes on full. I've been using the same cable for years with no problem. I once towed the Jeep around in a large parking lot with Nancy inside, she said the brakes worked fine.
"The Aviary"
Old 07-27-2015
Gardner

Quote:
My Air Force One system has a vacuum generator that supplies the brake system in the toad. That way the system is not trying to overcome the force needed to apply the toad brakes when no vacuum is present.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Any kind of a cable operated brake is going to give trouble.
I had one and Randy is right. It's too loose or too tight. So it either doesn't work or it works when you don't want it to work. The concept is good the problem is in the application.

Having owned one the tow bar is fine and if you want one I'll sell you one cheap but the braking system isn't what you will be happy with.

Here is the problem. You are to adjust the cable so the on light braking it activates the toad brakes. Makes sense so that you have brake lights on the toad. The PROBLEM is that when you do that it tends to be just tight enough that you are applying the brakes harder then you want to. As suggested on turns or going down hills. Not saying it can't be done but I couldn't make it work for me. Ended up damaging the toad brakes.

The tow bar is a real heavy duty unit and very well constructed. Heavy to lift and move around which is why I don't use mine.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by bubblerboy64; 07-27-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2015

John, what tow bar do you have available? Is it the Ready Brute without the brake system?

Tom Wunder
Wilmington, NC
1979 FC31RB
Echo
A Thing From The Past. A Gift For The Future
Old 07-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
My Air Force One system has a vacuum generator that supplies the brake system in the toad. That way the system is not trying to overcome the force needed to apply the toad brakes when no vacuum is present.
To say it another way: The toad has power brakes even when the toad's engine is off.

Any system that pushes or pulls on a dead brake petal (non power brakes) is not the best.