Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 07-24-2015
alvahall's Avatar
alvahall alvahall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cynthiana
Posts: 1,163
Default

I can see why some would not trust a cable system, but it has several advantages that suit me. It is easy to install and extremely quick to hook up or disconnect. I've used mine for eight years without a single problem. The slack adjustment is critical, but the vehicle has power brakes which are very hard to apply without the engine running, so I don't believe they would be dragging excessively on long downhills.
__________________
John & Nancy Hall
Cynthiana, Ky
1988 Narrow PT40
"The Aviary"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-25-2015
pairodice's Avatar
pairodice pairodice is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,570
Default

I have had 4 coaches and have never *wanted* a toad brake system. I have never even noticed the toad back there much less a difference in braking. I drive carefully and I do see the merits of a toad brake so no lectures please. If I have a toad brake installed I want it to be simple and not have to worry about it - that is what makes me drawn to a cable driven system. I can see the point about going down hill (which in CO is about half the time...) and activating the system. I would probably adjust mine out so that the amount of braking is minimal so downhill would not be a problem. I don't care if it takes me 10 more feet to brake in my coach, my brakes are good and my suspension *will* be great (new airbags, shocks and tires).
Besides, I am generally going to be the runner-over not the runner-overee...
Since I already have a great towbar (BlueOx) why would I not want to just add a $500 dongle + attachments between the coach and toad to give me toad braking and break-away vs. a $1300 braking/breakaway system?
__________________
Karen & Adrian Abshire - Current coach: 1998 double slide 45' Newell
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 WB40 'Mauvelous'(sold)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-25-2015
al perna al perna is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ormond fla
Posts: 2,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairodice View Post
I have had 4 coaches and have never *wanted* a toad brake system. I have never even noticed the toad back there much less a difference in braking. I drive carefully and I do see the merits of a toad brake so no lectures please. If I have a toad brake installed I want it to be simple and not have to worry about it - that is what makes me drawn to a cable driven system. I can see the point about going down hill (which in CO is about half the time...) and activating the system. I would probably adjust mine out so that the amount of braking is minimal so downhill would not be a problem. I don't care if it takes me 10 more feet to brake in my coach, my brakes are good and my suspension *will* be great (new airbags, shocks and tires).
Besides, I am generally going to be the runner-over not the runner-overee...
Since I already have a great towbar (BlueOx) why would I not want to just add a $500 dongle + attachments between the coach and toad to give me toad braking and break-away vs. a $1300 braking/breakaway system?
there are 2 reasons for the braking system .

1. to stop the car in the event that it separate's from the coach ( it does occur)

2. In many states it is the Law

no lecture ,, just the facts
__________________
AL & ERIKA

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-26-2015
Mallie Lennon's Avatar
Mallie Lennon Mallie Lennon is offline
1995 WB 42’ Series 60
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Eufaula
Posts: 4,945
Default

I believe the Air Force One is about as simple a braking system as there is. Not cheap, but easy to install and easy to hock and unhook.
__________________
Mallie & Karen Lennon
Eufaula, Oklahoma
95 42' Wanderlodge
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-27-2015
pairodice's Avatar
pairodice pairodice is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,570
Default

Since the toad is not running would the hydraulic brakes work? Would the the hydraulic cylinder work better in this situation? I would think that it would be a lot of stress on a cable only system? It's like closing the door on a refrigerator: do you know the light went off?
__________________
Karen & Adrian Abshire - Current coach: 1998 double slide 45' Newell
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 WB40 'Mauvelous'(sold)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-27-2015
alvahall's Avatar
alvahall alvahall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cynthiana
Posts: 1,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairodice View Post
Since the toad is not running would the hydraulic brakes work? Would the the hydraulic cylinder work better in this situation? I would think that it would be a lot of stress on a cable only system? It's like closing the door on a refrigerator: do you know the light went off?
Yes, the brakes still work, it just takes a lot more pressure to put the brakes on full. I've been using the same cable for years with no problem. I once towed the Jeep around in a large parking lot with Nancy inside, she said the brakes worked fine.
__________________
John & Nancy Hall
Cynthiana, Ky
1988 Narrow PT40
"The Aviary"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-27-2015
gcyeaw's Avatar
gcyeaw gcyeaw is online now
Gardner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ridgewood
Posts: 8,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairodice View Post
Since the toad is not running would the hydraulic brakes work? Would the the hydraulic cylinder work better in this situation? I would think that it would be a lot of stress on a cable only system? It's like closing the door on a refrigerator: do you know the light went off?
My Air Force One system has a vacuum generator that supplies the brake system in the toad. That way the system is not trying to overcome the force needed to apply the toad brakes when no vacuum is present.
__________________
Gardner Yeaw
86 PT-36 Golden Memories
83FC35 SB $IXTEEN TON$ SOLD
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-27-2015
bubblerboy64 bubblerboy64 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Shippensburg Pa
Posts: 6,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Any kind of a cable operated brake is going to give trouble.
I had one and Randy is right. It's too loose or too tight. So it either doesn't work or it works when you don't want it to work. The concept is good the problem is in the application.

Having owned one the tow bar is fine and if you want one I'll sell you one cheap but the braking system isn't what you will be happy with.

Here is the problem. You are to adjust the cable so the on light braking it activates the toad brakes. Makes sense so that you have brake lights on the toad. The PROBLEM is that when you do that it tends to be just tight enough that you are applying the brakes harder then you want to. As suggested on turns or going down hills. Not saying it can't be done but I couldn't make it work for me. Ended up damaging the toad brakes.

The tow bar is a real heavy duty unit and very well constructed. Heavy to lift and move around which is why I don't use mine.
__________________

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by bubblerboy64; 07-27-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-27-2015
Boatman1197 Boatman1197 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 402
Default

John, what tow bar do you have available? Is it the Ready Brute without the brake system?
__________________

Tom Wunder
Wilmington, NC
1979 FC31RB
Echo
A Thing From The Past. A Gift For The Future
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-27-2015
photoadjuster photoadjuster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lubbock
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
My Air Force One system has a vacuum generator that supplies the brake system in the toad. That way the system is not trying to overcome the force needed to apply the toad brakes when no vacuum is present.
To say it another way: The toad has power brakes even when the toad's engine is off.

Any system that pushes or pulls on a dead brake petal (non power brakes) is not the best.
__________________
Mike Stephenson
Lubbock, TX
1978 FC35 (deceased)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Force One installation??? Jeff Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. 6 12-05-2014 09:02 PM
Are You Ready? Ernest Ekberg Under The Awning 9 02-07-2012 01:33 AM
Old Loring Air Force Base Land Speed Race / Mini Rally? iamflagman Under The Awning 77 08-31-2009 01:35 PM
Creditors force Country Coach into bankruptcy iamflagman Under The Awning 1 02-13-2009 12:32 PM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.