Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Ladies > Ladies General Discussion

Ladies General Discussion Discussion of general topics that the ladies of WOG may find interesting to talk about.

Site Search:

Old 09-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrl View Post
I am wanting to remove our convection/microwave oven but am hesitant to replace it with a new one. I would be just as happy to put a toaster oven in it's place and call it a day! We also have the original stove that has NEVER been used. Will probably be removing that too. Has anyone just used a toaster oven? Thoughts?
Is that all you have at home now??? If moving in full time at a later date you may want to duplicate much of what you have at home. I eat more than toast.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrl View Post
I am wanting to remove our convection/microwave oven but am hesitant to replace it with a new one. I would be just as happy to put a toaster oven in it's place and call it a day! We also have the original stove that has NEVER been used. Will probably be removing that too. Has anyone just used a toaster oven? Thoughts?
Why would you remove the Microwave/Convection oven? With the right couple of products in the coach you can cook excellent (dang near gourmet) meals in either one. A toaster oven is good for toast and reheating pizza.

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Old 09-01-2016

ok boys (and men) ((and ladies)) - (This is not being posted by Kevin)

First off - I removed my microwave convection oven IMMEDIATELY upon purchase of the bird. I HATE microwaves and what they do to food. Totally my preference and I don't expect anyone else to share my view and I don't push my view on others. I looked around for a replacement that would work for us. We full time in our bird, so this is not coming from a weekend camper.

We installed a counter top convection/toaster oven. It worked beautifully! It was an oster brand, a bit larger than what most people think of as a toaster over. I could easily roast a chicken, pork roast, probably not a turkey, unless it was a very small one, but everything else - beautiful.

It was way more than reheating pizza. I used that oven for everything a regular oven would do, including broil. The convection part was especially useful for baking to move the air around and eliminate hot spots that you typically get from the smaller size units.

If you are considering going to a small oven instead of the microwave, I encourage you to check out the larger "counter top" ovens available. The work very well!!!

Arla - Not Kevin for this post.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 09-01-2016

Every person/family has unique food preferences, but here's a thought.

If you also have propane for your stove, an added benefit to your setup would be two separate paths to heating food. In case your Bird has a maintenance item arise, you may one day be thankful for an electric path and also an LP path for cooked food prep.

Either way, sounds like you're on an exciting adventure. Congrats.
Old 09-01-2016

Thank you Arla, you read my mind and share my sentiment about microwaved food. I was unaware of a convection toaster oven...sounds perfect! And btw, we do use our large toaster oven for all sorts of things besides pizza. We like it because it takes less time to heat up due to the internal space being much smaller than a traditional oven. My hubby is an Italian cook and he bakes lots of things in there. I haven't tried to bake a cake in there yet, but pies come out ok.

Lee County, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 09-01-2016

Default Convection Oven and Baking Bread

We discovered a couple of years ago, on a day that the electricity at our house went out, that the convection oven in the RV works very well for baking bread.

You got to do what you got to do when your dough has finished rising and it is time to bake the bread.

Keirn Rush, Carolyn Rush
and Mike the Wanderdog.
New Bern, North Carolina
keirn@keirnrush.com
252-249-2628
95 BMC 37
Old 09-01-2016

And the convection/ microwave that is in there now is showing scorch marks all around the outside of the cabinetry that houses it. Due to this fact alone....I do not even want to see if it still works. Not trying to set my bird on fire just yet. And the never used oven is just taking up valuable storage real estate.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 09-01-2016

For the record, I misspoke earlier...we are keeping the stove/ burners...but getting rid of the oven and convection microwave and replacing it with a convection toaster oven. This way we have toaster oven on electric and burners on gas....alt power covered.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 09-01-2016
Learning about Bluebirds!

We share the sames views regarding microwaves and have not used one for over a decade. Microwave came out immediately and was replaced with a Cuisanart convection steam combo oven that also works as a toaster. We love it. I think we paid $250 CA for it.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cu...-0431274p.html

To avoid overheating I installed a temperature activated fan in the cabinet. We went with white.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...FQ6oaQoddEkB6w

Sorry I don't have pics right now.
2009 Mini Cooper S 'Bert'
2013 BMW R1200GS ' Ernie'
Pokornikdani@gmail.com
Old 09-01-2016

Thanks! That sounds like a winner!

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com