Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your SP model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....List your SP parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-27-2016

Location: Formerly Lincolnville, Maine - Full Time and moving since Jan 2011
Default AUX air system / SP Steps

I need a little information on the AUX air system. I've been having trouble with the steps not coming back in. Eventually, with the aid of a stephascope (lousy hearing even with the aids in), I've located an air leak behind the waste water switch. So, I think that my step problem is really a waste water switch problem. Does that make sense?

What really confuses me is that I now have a problem that the air bags won't dump when I park and hit the Susp Dump switch. After about 24 hours the air leaks out of the rear air bags but the front stays up. Could this somehow be related to the air leak at the wastewater switch too?
Old 09-28-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Free View Post
I need a little information on the AUX air system. I've been having trouble with the steps not coming back in. Eventually, with the aid of a stephascope (lousy hearing even with the aids in), I've located an air leak behind the waste water switch. So, I think that my step problem is really a waste water switch problem. Does that make sense?

What really confuses me is that I now have a problem that the air bags won't dump when I park and hit the Susp Dump switch. After about 24 hours the air leaks out of the rear air bags but the front stays up. Could this somehow be related to the air leak at the wastewater switch too?
My guess there are three different problems given there is full air pressure.
If the waste water switch is the gray or black dump, replace or try to take it apart.
The suspension dump could be a defective Yellow Cap air solenoid located in the front under the windshield behind the panel, there should be several,
two for the fresh air dampers, maybe two for the seats?? and one for the suspension dump. again replace or spray with WD40 or try to take it apart.
The step is another issue could be the air switch, buttons in the door , limit switches, relays, so we need more info. be careful of that step it can kill or maim.
Old 09-28-2016
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Hi Phil,

My interpretation of what you’re saying is different from how Bill interpreted it.

I get the impression that you're losing Aux Air pressure so quickly that the things that need Aux Air pressure to operate, aren’t working after you shut down the engine?

The Aux Air is used for the air step, the air bags and the suspension dump operation, the sewer dump valves, the air horns, etc, etc so if you're losing too much Aux Air, a lot of stuff will be affected.

Is the problem showing up while the engine is running or only after you shut off the engine?

I don't know if SP's have an Aux Air gauge but my WB has an Aux Air gauge by the sewer dump valve switches – if you have a gauge there, you should be able to see how much Aux Air pressure you have available and how fast it’s losing air. If you don’t have an Aux Air gauge, you may be able to plug one into the quick connect where the air hose plugs in…. if your coach has a quick connect air fitting for filling tires, etc.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 09-28-2016

Thank you both. I'm taking this in this morning for regular service and to have this issue addressed. I stopped by there yesterday and mentioned that I had a Bluebird Wanderlodge. His resposnse was a snarl and "Oh, one of those conversion things!' He didn't seemed pleased and when I told him it was NOT a conversion he seemed skeptical.
I figured I better be able to tell this guy enough to point him in the right direction or it was going to be a long morning.
John, in answer to your question, it is both with the engine on and off. When the engine is running (and has been running for a substantial amount of time) the stairs won't retract when I'm ready to pull out. For safety purposes I have removed the stairs. A second purpose of this was to see if something was catching or bent. - Still, the supporting framework does not retract until I have started moving the bus and am underway. (Probably because more pressure has built up.)
Yes, it does have a gauge at the wastewater valve but, honestly, I haven't gone to it to see how fast it it falling when this problem has occured.

I've done some reading here and found mention of replacing the switch with a Clippard Part # mjtv-4. Is that the correct switch for a 1990 SP-36?
Old 09-28-2016

Fix the leak and the steps should work. As you move down the road the the compressor is pumping faster and supplying more volume of air. It fills the tank and the steps come in. I would limit the repair shop to just fixing the leaks. If they start messing with those steps your going to be paying them to learn about your steps. You really want to do that. Wait to you get to Pine Mountain. Your going to the Rally, right?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-28-2016

Rick, Good advice! The sad news is, 'no', I will not be at Pine Mountain. We are near Sedona AZ for the winter and just about to settle into a new work camping job today. I do hope to get down to Q for a few a days so there might be some help and advice there.
Hoping to make it to WOG 2017 as I'm due for new tires and long overdue to see some old friends.
Old 09-28-2016

Made it to the RV repair shop and had him take a look at the waste water switch. He confirmed that it was an O-ring that was causing the leak but was unable to locate a matching O-ring anywhere near Cottonwoood, AZ. He did lubricate the O-ring and reinstall it so that it now works better than it did, BUT for how long?
My intention is to purchase two of the Clippard MJTV-4 switches and replace both the waste and gray water switches. Does anyone know if that part number is correct for a 1990 SP-36?
We did look at the Yellow Cap Solenoids forthe Suso Dump problem and found that all were getting power to them. There is one singular solenoid and then another set of three. Am I correct that the singular solenoid is likely the one that needs to be replaced?[/COLOR]
Old 09-29-2016
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Free View Post
Made it to the RV repair shop and had him take a look at the waste water switch. He confirmed that it was an O-ring that was causing the leak but was unable to locate a matching O-ring anywhere near Cottonwoood, AZ. He did lubricate the O-ring and reinstall it so that it now works better than it did, BUT for how long?
My intention is to purchase two of the Clippard MJTV-4 switches and replace both the waste and gray water switches. Does anyone know if that part number is correct for a 1990 SP-36?
We did look at the Yellow Cap Solenoids forthe Suso Dump problem and found that all were getting power to them. There is one singular solenoid and then another set of three. Am I correct that the singular solenoid is likely the one that needs to be replaced?[/COLOR]

Hi Phil,

The Clippard MJTV-4 is most likely what you have but you should be able to verify that by looking at the old ones – the number should be stamped into the brass body of the switches.

It might be a little premature to be changing clippard solenoid valves but my guess from the “much to be desired” 89 SP prints that I looked at, is that the Clippard solenoid that’s by itself is for drop down Driving Lights? (it might be labeled V1)

The three that are together appear to be for the 2 Air Vents (maybe V2 and V3) and Suspension Dump (maybe V4). Keep in mind that I’m guessing on all of these so unless someone else can confirm which is which, you may have to verify what each actually goes to.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 09-29-2016

I'll take a look in the morning providing we don't get the thunderstorms they have predicted. I could see lettering on the solenoid "ET3M 12VDC" It appeared to be the same letterring on all of them but I'll have to put a mirror in to get a better look.
Thanks John.
Old 09-29-2016

Phil, MJTV-4 is the correct part for the dump valve. Bought one from Dupree Products. Found out later you can easily replace a seal and end the leak.

Craig K
90SP