Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 02-10-2017

The PTO Saga Continues:
I was able to get pump parts from QCC and I have a rebuilt pump. I installed all new rubber and a new input gear, which is the splined shaft.
The rebuild process is not that hard but it did take a couple parts orders and a couple trips to the local Parker/Chelsea dealer.
I am using a used but in fine shape PTO that was my spare.

I was just about to install the PTO and I realized that the pilot studs are missing. Whoever was in there last decided they wern't needed which may be why this PTO messed up in the first place (not the spline wear but the spun bearing) From what I see the pilot studs locate the PTO in the exact position for proper gear mesh. Without them, you are just "close."

So ..... one more parts order of an install kit and I should be back on the road for Flywheelers. I will say that this project, that I had plenty of time for when it started, is going to come down to the wire. Labor time is only a few hours but parts locating and wait times have been a real drag! They just don't have this stuff on Amazon Prime!
Birdless for now!
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 02-11-2017

I'm in the same boat with the time element
Coming down to the wire - to make Flywheelers
Why is it all Bluebird projects take 5-10 times as long as they should.
Feverishly attacking 3 priority lists - HI (must do), MEDIUM (should do), & LOW (wanna do). I don't think the must do will even get completed - may have to to finish at Flywheelers
I will make it unless that monkey with his wrench pays me an unwelcome visit
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 02-11-2017

You better come! I have a box for you. I'll be there if I have to bring a tent!
Birdless for now!
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 02-14-2017

WOOHOO! Bus is running and so is the fan!
Big thanks to Andy Harmon for sending me a set of locator pins.

Had a bit of a scare when I fired it up. The fan didn't run!
First I figured .... air in system. give it a minute! (Patience is not one of my better qualities!)
Still Nothing! .. OK, shut it down and restart .... still nothing!
OK, is the pump running. Long piece of steel from ear to PTO and then pump. Different rotational noises Pump and PTO appear to be spinning. About now all kinds of crazy " did I build it right" thought are going through my head.

I look at the fan again and still not moving. I want to grab it and spin it by hand but then I dont want to stick my hand in there..
I spin it with a wrench. really just moved it a little, and it spins right up!
Must have been an air lock at the motor. Works perfect now!

On another note, all the weird noises that were coming from what seems to be the fan motor are gone! If you have weird noises at the fan, check your shafts!
Birdless for now!
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 02-14-2017
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrimp View Post
WOOHOO! Bus is running and so is the fan!
Big thanks to Andy Harmon for sending me a set of locator pins.

Had a bit of a scare when I fired it up. The fan didn't run!
First I figured .... air in system. give it a minute! (Patience is not one of my better qualities!)
Still Nothing! .. OK, shut it down and restart .... still nothing!
OK, is the pump running. Long piece of steel from ear to PTO and then pump. Different rotational noises Pump and PTO appear to be spinning. About now all kinds of crazy " did I build it right" thought are going through my head.

I look at the fan again and still not moving. I want to grab it and spin it by hand but then I dont want to stick my hand in there..
I spin it with a wrench. really just moved it a little, and it spins right up!
Must have been an air lock at the motor. Works perfect now!

On another note, all the weird noises that were coming from what seems to be the fan motor are gone! If you have weird noises at the fan, check your shafts!
YOOHOO!

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 03-12-2017

Follow up on rebuilding pumps and PTO's:
Mallie donated his old pump and PTO to me.(Thanks again!) I have disassembled them for inspection. This will be the third set I have inspected.

PTO's
I have now inspected 3 PTO's 2 of the 3 were easily rebuildable and the third needed a case because it spun a bearing. The parts are relatively cheap and readily available from Driveline America and other places.
I can buy a new output shaft, seals and all 4 bearings (just because) for around $150. That basically gets you a new PTO. It comes apart easy but you should use a shop press on the bearings. Discounting cleaning time I can do one in a hour or so.

Pumps:
Again 3 inspections and only one was rebuildable and that one the shaft was not badly worn. I got it from Randy D so it may have come out of a wreak or something and may not have been in service very long.
The two I have with fully worn shafts also have wear pretty much everywhere else. At a minimum, I would replace both shafts and the main cast iron body along with seals. Parts for the pumps are available but they are "gold." I didn't price them but based on the parts I bought for the one in bus I would guess $6-800 bucks! At this point it would be cheaper to just buy a new pump.

Bottom line: Rebuild your PTO but buy a new pump.
Birdless for now!
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 03-12-2017
Forum owner

I have a new pump in stock,7/8 spline,13 tooth.
Also,i just bought a new PTO and pump,1'' shaft,15 spline with a wet kit,its already spoken for but it did take a few weeks to get it.

I was talking to Mallie and some of the guys at the rally in La.
We talked about how several years ago a few of us got together and bought a new PTO and pump,everybody involved pitched in $200.
We put this unit in stock in case someone needed it,if you break down we would send it to you and then you would replace it with new,which we would put back in stock,ready to ship to the next guy.

The last time we did this we ended up shipping it to Pete Haggins and he sent everyones money back,we never bought another one,for some reason.

I have sent a new one out before to a member in need and he sent me a new one back.
I have seen it take 8 weeks to get a new pump.

The last time we had a group owned unit i kept it in my coach,that way no matter if i was home or on the road i could ship it to whoever needed it.

I keep a used (good ) unit in stock in my coach already,but Mallie and the guys think we should have a new one ready to ship,so if we can get 10 guys or so to donate $200 each so the WOG group can have one in stock...
I will be glad to keep it n my coach,ready to ship,the person needing it would have to pay shipping and pay to replace it.

Is there any interest in this?
all WBs with S60 engine,all LXIs and all LXs have this unit.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-12-2017

It would sure beat sitting in someone's repair yard for 2 or 3 months while a pump is made. We all know what a disaster it is to leave our coaches in a shop. Dead batteries, broken glass, unexplained delays, etc, etc. I would be in if there is enough intrest.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-12-2017
Forum owner

even though i have spare parts,i'm in for $200.
I have fan motors in stock too.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-13-2017
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I doubt I will ever need another, but who knows. New is no guarantee it can not break. And that break down can leave your coach stranded waiting for a pump to be built. It is to all our benefit to have parts available.
Randy, count me in.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com