Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 05-19-2018

Default Transmission temperature

We are on an extended trip in our 2003 LXi. During our travels, the transmission gage has indicated temperatures over 300 degrees. This has occurred when climbing, as well as going down hill a while after a climb. External temperatures have been in the 90’s. I have contacted the dealer I purchased from to see if there were any previous issues. He indicated that the sending unit was replaced due to damage done by a repair facility while working on another issue. The gage was also replaced at a later date.

I have pulled the dipstick, and do not see any sign of fluid discoloration, nor do I smell anything abnormal. I cannot believe the gage is correct. The engine temps are normal during these occurrences. I could not locate my infrared temp gun, so I have purchased a new one for our next leg (next Wednesday), and will attemp to get a reading on the transmission after I get to temperature. I’ve tried flushing the radiators/coolers as much as possible with a hose.

We are currently in Bullhead City, Arizona with temps in the upper 90’s. We will be heading to southwestern Colorado next week. We have a lot of climbing to do, so I’m sure we’ll see high numbers on the gage again.

The dealer has offered to check the sending unit and gage again when I pass through Dallas again in July. Hopefully that is the problem.

Any other suggestions?
VerleyBird
Old 05-19-2018

Sounds like the shop replace the sending unit with the wrong one. You have to have like value gauge and sender.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-19-2018
Not so Junior anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Sounds like the shop replace the sending unit with the wrong one. You have to have like value gauge and sender.
If you can make it to Kingman Arizona there's a great western truck center that has done work on a couple of Wanderlodges in the past, I know because mine is one of them. They have a place to plug-in and I would hope that they be able to check out a thermostat in a gauge for you.
Towed 1986 Suzuki Samurai OR 2014 Jeep jk
Old 05-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Thanks for the confirmation Rick. That was my first thought as well, and then I found a comment on an Allison forum that indicated it too. I believe the sender is a Napa unit, and the gage is a replacement VDO. Based on what I was told of the sequence of events, the sender was replaced prior to the gage. I’m guessing they saw issues but didn’t complete the process. I’ll suggest they order a matched set of VDO’s (sender and gage) to change them out.
VerleyBird
Old 05-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkYuma View Post
If you can make it to Kingman Arizona there's a great western truck center that has done work on a couple of Wanderlodges in the past, I know because mine is one of them. They have a place to plug-in and I would hope that they be able to check out a thermostat in a gauge for you.
Thanks Mark,

I presume they work on Allison. I’ll give them a call on Monday to see if I can get in. I have to go through Kingman to get to where we are headed, and it’s only about 40 miles from here. I’d rather get it checked than chance something more severe.
VerleyBird
Old 05-19-2018
Thomas Rembert

I would be shooting the transmission with a IR gun to make sure it’s not really 300 degrees in a he mean time.
2018 Allegro Bus 45ft 4 slide
Alachua, FL/Blackhawk, CO.
Old 05-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxis View Post
I would be shooting the transmission with a IR gun to make sure it’s not really 300 degrees in a he mean time.
We are parked until Wednesday. I plan to do just as you suggested at that time. That’s why I bought a new gun.

Thanks.
VerleyBird
Old 05-21-2018

Quote:
Mark,

Called Great West Truck. Unfortunately, they don’t work on Allison transmissions. They referred me to a local transmission shop that works on autos, but their number doesn’t seem to work. Looks like I’ll have to drive on. I’ll check the trans temp with the infra-red once it gets warm.
VerleyBird
Old 05-21-2018
Not so Junior anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlinV View Post
Mark,

Called Great West Truck. Unfortunately, they don’t work on Allison transmissions. They referred me to a local transmission shop that works on autos, but their number doesn’t seem to work. Looks like I’ll have to drive on. I’ll check the trans temp with the infra-red once it gets warm.
I don't know the phone number or the name for it but two blocks away from Great Western it's a shop that works on school buses. They were the first place in town that was recommended to me even above the truck shop. If I can dig up the name I'll let you know or maybe the folks at great western know the name of that one
Towed 1986 Suzuki Samurai OR 2014 Jeep jk
Old 05-21-2018

Quote:
I don't know the phone number or the name for it but two blocks away from Great Western it's a shop that works on school buses. They were the first place in town that was recommended to me even above the truck shop. If I can dig up the name I'll let you know or maybe the folks at great western know the name of that one
I called the transmission place again, and managed to get through this time. Not sure what the difference was, but it doesn’t matter.

They say than can check it, and have the ability to work on it. So, I’m headed there Wednesday morning.
VerleyBird