Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 05-22-2018

I just bought a scan gauge D plugs into your data port and will readout transmission temp according to the manual 160.00 auto zone should carry them just throwing out a option for you
Old 05-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis hight View Post
I just bought a scan gauge D plugs into your data port and will readout transmission temp according to the manual 160.00 auto zone should carry them just throwing out a option for you
Good suggestion, thanks Dennis. I’ll look into that.

Anyone know where the port is on a 2003 LXi? Don’t see anything easy to get to under the dash. It’s totaly carpeted.

Oops. Scratch that. I think I may have found it. Above the foot rest and floor horn button, left side of the steering wheel. Also found what looks like a button that is labeled “ABS DIAGNOSTICS”. That opens up a new question for a later time.
VerleyBird
Old 05-22-2018

You found it.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
You found it.
Thanks Rick.

I’m thinking that I’ll let the pros check it tomorrow for peace of mind, and then look at getting a Scan Gauge for the long haul. Just found it on sale at PPL Motorhomes for $139.99 through 5/25. Probably cheaper than one reading by the pros. Had a Silverleaf system on my last coach, and really used it.
VerleyBird
Old 05-22-2018

arlin if your close to anyone with silver leaf or scan-gauge you could just plug there's in and check temps - just a thought
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 05-22-2018

I put a Scangauge D on my coach. It did give me some peace of mind,as the oil pressure gauge on the dash was reading slightly below the recommended value. The Scangauge took the number direct from the DDEC and showed it to be normal. It also showed that the fuel flow rate at 1800 RPM and full throttle was about 26 gallons/hr.

Please note that you must get the Scangauge D, as the others are set for the automotive CAN bus and are not and cannot be made to be compatible with the heavy Diesel communications bus. (per conversation with the rep at Scangauge)

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 05-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahansm View Post
I put a Scangauge D on my coach. It did give me some peace of mind,as the oil pressure gauge on the dash was reading slightly below the recommended value. The Scangauge took the number direct from the DDEC and showed it to be normal. It also showed that the fuel flow rate at 1800 RPM and full throttle was about 26 gallons/hr.

Please note that you must get the Scangauge D, as the others are set for the automotive CAN bus and are not and cannot be made to be compatible with the heavy Diesel communications bus. (per conversation with the rep at Scangauge)
I’ve been doing a little reading from the “Quick Start Guide” whenever I get a few minutes this afternoon. Working my way to the Users Guide. I’m not sure how anyone can get a good comfort level with the various dash gauges. Too many “hash marks” without values. Until the trans temp gauge went over 300 I was pretty much oblivious. Nothing but hash marks between 200 and 300. And no way that I can figure to discern what each hash represents. Are they ratioed based on spacing, or is it 25/hash if there are three between hundreds regardless of the spacing? I’ll probably look into Silverleaf once I get the hang of the rest of the coach. Scan Gauge looks like a good interim solution.
VerleyBird
Old 05-23-2018

Convention is that the hash marks are equal divisions of the range between the marks with numbers. Some gauges are nonlinear and the unevenly spaced hash marks are like that in order to enable you to get a correct reading.

Best/worst example of hash mark spacing is fuel gauges. Most autos have evenly spaced marks on the fuel gauge even though the needle response is not linear with regard to tank level. Mercedes fuel gauges, on the other hand, had the marks near full very close together and the ones near empty quite far apart. Experience showed, though, that they corresponded very closely with the actual fuel level remaining in the tank.

I'm actually more likely to believe a gauge with uneven marks, as that makes it obvious that someone has tried to compensate for non-linearities in the system.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 05-23-2018

Well, we stopped at Advanced Transmission this morning. They ran some diagnostics and found no issues/codes. Transmission sump temperature was only 165 despite making some pretty steep climbs from Bullhead City to Kingman. The gauge had gone as high as about 285 during the drive. The tech crawled under the coach, as well as the computer check. We shot the IR at a few places, including the sending unit, and got nothing higher than 166+. Once we departed and got down the road several miles, I noticed the gauge acting more like a fuel gauge than temperature. It bounced all over the place like it was a float switch. I called the shop, and talked with the tech. I asked if he had wiggled the wire. He said it was pretty loose (not sure why he didn’t think to mention it). So it looks like it likely comes down to a loose contact. Not sure if I’ll get to it before we arrive in Colorado tomorrow, but I feel relieved.
VerleyBird
Old 05-24-2018

Where are you headed the weather up here is beautiful