Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 06-17-2018

Default Questions converting to DC fan

After reading about converting the ac generator squirrel cage to a DC Hayden fan. Can I just pick up the DC anywhere in the area? Just put an inline fuse to the fan.Should I put a relay to control the fan so it will go on automatically?
Anything else to do.?
Thanks,

Nelson
Old 06-17-2018

There are DC connections behind the drivers side headlight door. This is where I was going to look at making my 12v connection. The 12v fans I have been looking at require about 20 plus amps, so it's going to put a bit of a load on that system. Maybe some other folks will chime in where they made their 12v connection. I was going to evaluate the current loads being served by the breakers and then compare that to the cable supplying the breakers to make sure I am not overloading it. The fan on my bus was changed to run all the time, so I do not have any fan relay etc to re-use. I noticed my buddies bus has a fan thermostat that could be used to control the 12v fan since it has both AC and DC ratings. I wish I was further along in the process, but other more important things have come up.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740

http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 06-17-2018

I would pick up 12 VDC from the generator starting battery. Use at least 10 gage wire to at least A 30 amp rated relay thru a 30 amp fuse to the DC fan. The relay can be triggered by 12 volts from the generator hour meter or gen on light signal. This is just one way, their are many others. Just DO NOT under size the wires or relay.
Old 06-17-2018
Gardner

Here's what I did: (fuse in 12 volt from battery not shown)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GenFanWiring-2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	56011  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-17-2018

I stole this from a post Barry Rhodes submitted. It works great and runs when the generator runs. Had a buddy I know take the original steel mounting plate for the squirrel cage fan and cut it down so the DC fan sits inches above the radiator and is enclosed on the sides so the air is forced directly onto the radiator.
If you try and match the CFM rating for the radiator according to the powertech service manual , you can do it but need to buy a racing fan most likely to get above 2000 CFM. I did this, however, the fan is so dang loud compared to the squirrel cage, it was quickly changed to a Hayden standard fan that is rated below the recommended CFM output in the manual. Around 70 bucks I think at autozone. I have run it in 90 plus degree heat for hours with suspension dropped and gen door closed . Still a little louder then The squirrel cage in my opinion but....... it has never pushed the thermostat rating beyond normal. Knock on wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37E29908-B361-4C52-8157-A97C94BE109D.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	56012  
260-414-3253
Jonadair68@yahoo.com
Old 06-17-2018

Should have mentioned, I picked up the 12v directly from my generator battery if you have one in the 94, not sure? Otherwise, as suggested by others
260-414-3253
Jonadair68@yahoo.com
Old 06-17-2018

Thanks for the info.
I think I will go with Jon recommendation. I do not have a starting battery for my generator, although I did see some large battery type cables just above the squirrel cage. I would like to have it mounted with and absorption type rubber mounts for the fan. I will try to fabricate a mounting enclosure like Jon said.I use hayden fans on some of my corvettes that I race and are very happy with them. The one in my cars are controlled by water temperature .

I was suppose to be home today but it got so hot in the bus and in heavy DC traffic , I decided to pull in a RV park just to be able to get electric and I am only an hour from home. Too hot to go any further.
Thanks for the information.

This forum helped me so much these last 3 weeks that it was actually possible to enjoy this trip. I could never thank all of you that helped me so much.

Have a few minor things to repair and should be off again in about 3 weeks, than return to Germany.
Thanks,
Nelson
Old 06-18-2018
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

I'll throw mine into the works too, it is also used on a Powertech 17k BB that was transplanted into my 82FC35RB 'Bird;

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
UPDATE 10/21/2013
I was totally wrong on this one, it turned out that my previous Barney Fife wiring job for the 2 speed fan relays to the Hayden Electric Radiator Fan for the Kubota that has lasted almost two years without incident shorted out due to my missing to cover a bare spade connector and that destroyed the twin Hayden relay module thus no fan operation, this was hidden from immediate view as the wiring that shorted was inside of a wire loom. It took removing the bad wires and the twin speed relay module and replacing that with new wire connectors (covered) and a new Tyco relay and pigtail wired into the High Speed side of the electric fan, which now runs full time whenever the Generator is running.

Another update 1/7/2014;

I didn't like the way that the fuse was getting so hot, almost to the point of melting the plastic fuse itself, so I decided to use a 30 amp circuit breaker and a Cole Hersee 24059 Continuous Duty 85 amp Solenoid. I found a Imperial Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Control 226203 it is exactly like the one that I have used on my work van's radiator electric fans for over 15 years and in the 'Birds battery chargers and inverters compartment to control the exhaust and circulation fans, at Advance Auto parts for $18.69 and installed it rather than a snap disc. The angle makes it look like the switch (blue arrow) is touching the circuit breaker but it is not. The switch was wired in using the fan ground wire. The yellow arrow indicates where the thermocouple fits down through the shroud and into the radiator core, I put some silicone on the hole to hold the lead so it won't rub on the shroud.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-18-2018

John thanks for the information. I will wire my new setup like yours. Very easy to check everything.
Again, great info on this forum.
Thanks,
Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I'll throw mine into the works too, it is also used on a Powertech 17k BB that was transplanted into my 82FC35RB 'Bird;
Old 06-18-2018

Should of known Murphy got me again. After 8 hours in traffic and no AC.
Went to take a shower and no hot water. The cold shower did feel good after a long day.
All circuit breakers ok, switch under sink on and red. Turned off all ac devices and than watched the amp meter to see if I got any movement on the amp meter when cycling the hot water switch.Did not get any movement.
What should I check next?
Did arrive home safe just not to sound.
Thanks again for everyone’s help.
Nelskn