Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M450 (Unique Issues)

M450 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M450 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M450 Parts here too. NO DISCUSSION OF ANY OF THE M450 LAWSUITS ALLOWED HERE.

Site Search:

Old 03-12-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Karen Gulrich is making progress on the indexing, she sent the first batch of M380 & M450 index pages to me yesterday. (Thanks Karen!).
Thanks Karen, this is a huge help
Old 03-12-2019

I've put floors in a few 450s
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 03-12-2019

Both 450's at Natchez were beautiful. Jerry and Natalies is like a sales brochure....maybe it was! Gorgeous coaches
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 03-12-2019

I think the 450 guys are so close that they just use their email chain instead of the public forum.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 03-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Karen Gulrich is making progress on the indexing, she sent the first batch of M380 & M450 index pages to me yesterday. (Thanks Karen!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Thanks Karen, this is a huge help
You're both very welcome! I'm a bit slow but I'm working on them!
(678) 438-3184
georgiacorvette@outlook.com
MeWe: https://mewe.com/i/karengulrich
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Old 03-12-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWBIRD View Post
I think the 450 guys are so close that they just use their email chain instead of the public forum.

And that may be,but my point was they sure are not helping each other sell their coachs.
If buyers knew more about them they may get higher prices for the used coachs.
Public support.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-12-2019

I want a 450 mostly for the 3 slides and the Girrards. I love the 450 08 Randy has listed. Actually cost less than my 94 was in 02. I just dont have the guts to drop a quarter mill until I get an end date. Surprised they don't have steer tags. and often wondered how the slides seal up?
Old 03-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
And that may be,but my point was they sure are not helping each other sell their coachs.
If buyers knew more about them they may get higher prices for the used coachs.
Public support.

I agree. If I was going to buy one, I would want to know what I was getting into; the good, the bad, and fixes and tricks. Then, once I knew everything I could find out, I would buy. Unless, of course, the skin falls off like the early Prevost XL2. Before I bought my Bird, I had an beautiful XL2 under contract but the prospect of potentially reskinning, resealing and repainting scared me off.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 03-12-2019

Wow. I am sorry I was late to this party. It is about my favorite subject.

A couple of things right off. I am a working guy. A corrosion technician to be specific. I don't have a trust fund and never will. I have worked on the road since 1999 and lived in an RV all of the time I was not at home. The fact that the BlueBird 450 was an orphan (no company support) didn't scare me because I never deluded my self into thinking that I would be able to pay people to maintain and repair things that I could do myself. If I had the money I wouldn't mainly because I often don't see value of the payment and the service being equal very often these days. If I do it, I know what has been done and to what level.

The M450 - It does have round head lights, they just don't work worth a ****. Led bulbs help, but if you are going to do any real night driving more should be done, at least for my 54 year old eyes. I am thinking on the subject with some good ideas coming in from others.

The email chain I would not say is that close. Out of 40 some odd people on the chain, only 5 to an occasional 10 post anything. With that said it is still the center of the body of knowledge on the 450. Not very efficient and often redundant. Nothing quite as much fun as having a fellow reply to an email discussing belt part numbers asking how to turn on his ice maker.

Why don't they come here? I can only speculate like most of you. The filing and searching ability should make it an obvious choice although some Facebook folks say it is difficult. I use both so nether can be that difficult. I suspect that the email chain got started and people got use to it.

The Girrard awnings sure look nice and they do clean up the roof line. I will let you know how I like them when I get mine working.

I have a few paint issues. I have heard several reasons that may have caused the problem. It doesn't concern me much. Heck, the skeleton and skin are stainless, its not like it will rust......lol

I have seen floors that Earnest E put in a 450. His work is excellent. I just wish he was younger. I am not sure I will be able to get my coach to him before he retires.

The slides are heavy duty. I have not had any trouble with mine but I know of some that have. Many have had the air locks disabled and that seems to take care of their problems. I find, as have others, that putting the slides in and out with the bus at road ready and not at level helps.

The toilet - a Macrophor air toilet. It was terrible. Every time the weather would change, it would too. I have recently replaced it with a Dometic maceration model an it works consistently. I will do a wright up and post it here. One of my best upgrades so far.

The 450 is a bus and it will have bus types of things in common with its Blue Bird brothers. With that said it is very different in many ways as well. It has a Multiplex system for controlling systems and a Dinex system to power systems. It has 12V and 24V Bus power and House power taps. I still have allot to learn here and everywhere else for that matter. There are very few electrical relays comparatively speaking.

It really is a Blue Bird. You want to know how I know. When something needed 3 screws to hold it down, they used 13.....lol

Buck Jackson
Dickinson, TX
2006 M450 Lxi
Old 03-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
... The M450 - It does have round head lights, they just don't work worth a ****. Led bulbs help, but if you are going to do any real night driving more should be done, at least for my 54 year old eyes. I am thinking on the subject with some good ideas coming in from others... The Girrard awnings sure look nice and they do clean up the roof line. I will let you know how I like them when I get mine working... I have seen floors that Earnest E put in a 450. His work is excellent. I just wish he was younger. I am not sure I will be able to get my coach to him before he retires...
Buck -

M380’s and 450’s have many common items. If you haven’t seen the WOG LED headlight thread, it’s worth a look HERE. Several have rewired them such that both hi/low beams work in the High beam position. That and cutting out one’s not-so-clear fiberglass openings so the Hellas can “breath” makes a big time difference at night.

RonR and I added LED strip lighting to our old style Girard Awning housings. If yours have the channel along the bottom, am sure you’d love the LED addition as described in this thread.

Had Ernie floors done several years ago. Even though I have done wood flooring in houses and considered doing them myself, having the Master do the job was worth every penny. He was saying the “retirement” word allot back then too. No doubt we’re all wishing we were a bit younger! His wood flooring install would definitely be a project worth putting on the front burner.

Have always considered my detailed upgrade WOG posts to be pay-it-forward for all the help I’ve received from the WOG and it’s members over the years. By not posting here, the M450 crowd is not only missing out - they are also handicapping the NEXT owners of their coaches and as Randy says hurting their resale potential as well as coach values. Thankfully, the M380 gang is quite active here on the WOG .

When we were shopping, we looked at 450’s but their size didn’t match our preferred boondocking/off-grid style of “camping”. However, that has never stopped me from being envious of many of the upgrades your 7’ of extra length allows.

Don’t be a stranger here on the WOG!