Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-10-2009
Forum owner

NOTE: The word performance was used "lightly" in Johns last post!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-10-2009

A PO had installed your pedal wedge John. I'll look the cable over and ensure its clean.

I thought if I replaced the cable from a "Speed Shop" it would'nt hurt Randy.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 11-10-2009
Forum owner

good morning Rick!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-10-2009

Modifying the pedal is required, thankx John for stating the obvious but often overlooked 'simple' fix. However, like threaded fasteners, reused when they should be replaced, cables are a perishable that don't enjoy an unlimited service life. Back in the day when I used to work the NHRA races, it was common to see the Hurst and B&M shifter cables require replacement annually. These were a little smaller than size used for the throttle on FC's but same construction as in 'stranded' cable. Those strands will break off internally and damage the teflon liner over time. I noted on my last trip over to the Morse cable guy that they have changed from stranded cable to solid stainless wire.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 11-10-2009

Thanks Mike for the reminder. I'm in the process of changing the shifter cable on my 66 F100. I seam to remember that the inner cable is a single strand now. Can't recall what brand that shifter is but I'll check.

Hey Randy. Sure hope things have settled down for you. We were going to go by Gainesville when we left Saint Augustine but decided you were busy at Bainbridge. Then you really got busy.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 11-10-2009
Administrator

The cable picture that John illustrates in post #10 is a standard Marine, steering and/or throttle cable, Available at most Marinas or Boating Stores such as West Marine or Boaters Worlds.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/docume...002_5_1071.pdf
Old 11-15-2009
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Bill View Post
Rick, are your referring to the hand throttle or the accelerator cable.

If it's the accelerator cable. When I first got our Bird I went through a real ordeal of having to replace it. It was difficult to find not a big deal to install.
Ran the new one through a piece of fuel line to protect it.

The original failed after the support bracket above the turbo let go and the cable fell and baked on there for a while.

There is an extensive post with part #s etc. on WOO that I documented. I would post it here if I had access to it but I don't.

NH Bill
I recovered the information I wanted to share with you regarding my experience with the throttle (accelerator) cable. Here it is. I originally researched, wrote and posted this in November and December of 2007.

"Spoke with Wanderlodge 3-4 weeks to get throttle cable for 1983 FC.
Morse cable 3-4 weeks.

Does any body have one of these? It is 10/32 and just about 8' long.

Blue Bird Part # is 1129543 the Bluebird database references Accelerator Cable- Morse -D33111

Numbers stamped on the part: D303116 95"
Possible cross reference # 068334003 95"

We found one through a machine shop here in NH that deals with heavy truck business. They had a source. $150 + overnight shipping.

Just spoke with Scott at Holland Michigan. (Fort Valley said if anybody had on on the shelf it would be them). Scott said he gets about one request per year for throttle cables and it is usually for a pusher.

Apparently they don't usually break. Mine failed because it came in contact with the turbo and cooked over a period of time.

I will run the new one through a piece of fuel line or something along the path of the turbo and make sure it is suspended well away from it.

It may be a good idea for people to check theirs. You don't want to go through this aggravation!

I don't know what was holding it there before and I don't know why it let go. Mechanic said this is not something that he could see but something he felt.

I guess this is all part of my initiation into to wonderful world of Wanderlodge!

Again, this could have happened on the road somewhere. Its plugged in and safe in Purgatory (RV center).

I think I ll have it out of there this weekend...
If they ship the right cable!

BIRD FLEW IN SNOW TODAY AFTER COSTLY SEARCH AND RESCUE!

I am writing this from "Coach" parked and plugged in at home.

After sitting in purgatory at RV center for almost two weeks, Coach was rescued.

I finally got the new throttle cable installed today. The RV center walked away from the problem and I kept Coach plugged in on their lot while my outside mechanic from neighboring Massachusetts searched and located a new cable.

I was charged $168.72 for the cable and about $100 for shipping (two overnight charges). The mechanic found what I could not find. Blue Bird told me 3-4 weeks.

His search for the part was not easy even though he had a number off the original part (Part # D303 116 from the original cable). Blue Bird Part # 1129543 (I am not certain of this. I don’t have the tag yet), Morse # might be D33111.

The second cable they sent him had a Blue Bird tag on it. This is the one that was installed today. Somebody must be sitting on these somewhere. (I will try to find out where it cam from and post this information. Hopefully this experience won't be as painful for others.

My original cable was 95". This one is 104". We put the new one in a piece of fuel line to protect it (even though it is heat rated) and tied it way away for the heat that cooked the original one. I now have full throttle. Even when the other was running "right" I think it was less than full because the old cable stretched over time."

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898

Last edited by NH Bill; 11-15-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2009

Thank You Bill. I, as yet, have not started to fix this problem. I need to get out there and get it done. Should have that King Cruise next week and we need to have a sold system before adding more problems.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-23-2010

Default Throttle Cable

I discovered the throttle cable on my FC was rusted through the outer casing and needed replacement when I was removing the turbo. I remember reading on this forum about what a pain the cable was to find from a supplier so I was not looking forward to getting a replacement. I removed the cable Tuesday and dropped it off Wednesday at my local big truck parts supplier. They sent the cable to their Grand Rapids, MI main store where they build custom cables. I picked up my new complete cable assembly today from them and I must say it looks factory original in every detail. I have pictures attached of my old cable,but, my camera is dead right now and I can't get any pics of the new one. The cost was 79.00. pretty reasonable I think, labor to install is free of course . I considered going with the air throttle, but its just not in the cards right now. Check out the pictures of the cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable 001.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	4781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable 002.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	4782  
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 04-23-2010
Administrator

Aaron,

Good you caught this before a long trip.
can you post pictures of both ends??