Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-12-2009

Default mixing antifreeze?

Probably a dumb question, but I tried to search it and can't find the answer.
I just recently had the Air Compressor Coolant hoses changed. The shop didn't save the old antifreeze and added 8 gallons of "Purple" antifreeze. I had the Green already in it. Can the purple be added to the green with no ill effects?
Westchester Sandblast
Old 11-12-2009
ANOTHER REDNECK

no you cannot mix them sounds like they owe you a coolant flush and change

thanks again tom--stone was placed last weekend
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 11-12-2009

Tom, Did they use Royal Purple? If so they are going to tell you it's compatible with the green. Whether it is or not I don't know. I googled mixing antifreeze and you get all manor of opinions on that one. Another situation where you would think there would have to be good science which would be conclusive one way or the other. This will get interesting I am sure. I'd be like you, and what do you do at this point?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-12-2009

Interesting topic. Ours was green, but we had it flushed and replaced with purple low silicate antifreeze by a Detroit Diesel dealer a few months ago. Unfortunately, they forgot to cycle the dash heater which probably has several gallons in the lines and heat exchanger. Result by mixing red (purplish) and green is almost colorless so it is impossible to see whether there is fluid in the reservoir sight glass. Maybe it is just a weak purple. Can we add a dye?

I don't know about the chemical effects, but I suppose I will have to flush again next year rather than waiting two or three years. I would think mixing of transmission fluids would be a far more critical conversion than mixing of these two antifreeze products, but am sure interested in a definitive answer from someone who knows.
Old 11-12-2009

I don't know if was Royal Purple or not.
They did drain the block and radiator, but as in the same case as Ron they didn't drain the heating loops, so now I have a mixture of the two! Thats what I'm trying to figure out if its ok.
Just out of curiousity and maybe neccessity how do you drain the "whole" system? I see in the Bluebook how to fill it and bleed it.
Westchester Sandblast
Old 11-12-2009
Forum owner

we had a member here a few years ago that lost the engine in her bird because of mixing different colored coolants,it resulted in a jello like substance in her radiator,it didnt cool very well.
Julia Bonser? or something was her name.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-12-2009

Some time ago a PT owner in Caleefornia had a Detroit shop mix the coolant, turned to jelly down the road and cost him an engine. It was ugly. I know I wouldn't abide by what the shop did, mixing the purple with the green. Wouldn't be the worst idea to do a total coolant flush regardless. Another thought; Heat exchanger between engine and house loops would be a pretty good plan for the more complicated systems in the newer PT's.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 11-12-2009

Yep, I had a friend who had that occur with a car that his wife drove. It was a Volvo I think and he said the radiator was like it was filled with jello. So there certainly are some that don't work together. Go to the auto parts store and you will see some advertised to be compatible with all. Another thing to give you heart burn.

I have to have mine checked today for ph and and nitrates. It has the green stuff in it but you know not all of the green is identical either. So???? And then there is the distilled water issue. I've been using 50/50 prestone but I am not certain it's recommended for heavy vehicle use.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-12-2009
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

That would be more than enough qualified opinions for me!

Holy ******* Tom! Get that stuff out of there!

The DD shop probably thought they got all the old stuff out. But, at the rate they are charging, they should know better... specially when dealing with a unique machine. They should have done a little due diligence. This would be the position I would take.

This happened to me when I first bought the coach and told them to flush and replace all the coolant. When I looked at the receipt, they charged me for 8 gal or 32 quarts. This was at a facility that assured me they worked on Blue Birds on a regular basis and the PM I brought it in for was a common occurrence to them. WRONG! They Lied!

I know the system in our FC takes about 60 quarts. I was fortunate in that they replaced it with the same green stuff. They removed that item from my bill.

So even though the DD shop is highly qualified to work on the DDs, they don't necessarily know about these coaches. They are relatively rare. I'm learning not to assume anything when I bring it to an "expert" for something. I ask a LOT of questions at the risk of sometimes stating the obvious and I certainly try not to come off as an a--hole. I try to explain how I learned this the hard way because these machines are pretty unique.

As Woody stated, and I agree, I think THEY owe YOU a TOTAL flush and refill.

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898

Last edited by NH Bill; 11-12-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-12-2009

The problem is that unless you have some SCIENCE behind you, you are not going to get any shop to just do it NO CHARGE because you say so. That is the problem and in addition do you ever get it all out by flushing? If there is a little bit left is it a problem and how much is a little bit. I would be inclined to research this before I did anything and if I decided something was needed I'd go armed with plenty of back up for my position.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold