Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 11-14-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Repairing a metalic sound on a CAT 3208NA.

While I was here at Randy's one of the things that I had mentioned to him was that I thought that my CAT 3208NA was noisier than most NA's that I had been around, it wasn't the normal diesel knocking sound, nor was it the now familiar rattle that the Horton Fan makes at idle when it is engaged. I know that the TA or Turbo engine is a lot quieter but I had noticed that mine had what sounded like a metallic noise coming from underneath engine and I was concerned that this could possibly be a major problem, or maybe it just needed new rod and main bearings, the engine has 145,000 miles on it.

To my surprise the noise was caused by an exhaust leak at an old band clamp in the right exhaust pipe about 4 - 5 feet back from the exhaust manifold and was transmitting the noise up to the area around the manifold / exhaust pipe connection. A new stainless steel band clamp with some exhaust pipe sealer generously applied under the clamp to fill in some imperfections that were already in the pipe from before and then tightening up the new clamp and now the sound is gone, I would have never though that an exhaust leak would make a metallic sound like that, but it did and now I am a happy camper.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-14-2009
full time

John, Thanks for the information, I have a simular noise when applying heavy power, now I have a place to look next time I get close to Large Marge.
Bushnell, Florida
Old 11-14-2009

Ahah! I have a rattle we only hear inside around the exhaust stack area. Never thought of an exhaust leak as it sounds so metallic. Thank you, John. Gonna look at that one real close. ...but how in the world can you check the muffler? Looking down into the cavity from the top is about all I can do.
Old 11-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Sutton View Post
John, Thanks for the information, I have a simular noise when applying heavy power, now I have a place to look next time I get close to Large Marge.
I only noticed this noise when I was outside the coach and the engine at an idle. Yours may be something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Ahah! I have a rattle we only hear inside around the exhaust stack area. Never thought of an exhaust leak as it sounds so metallic. Thank you, John. Gonna look at that one real close. ...but how in the world can you check the muffler? Looking down into the cavity from the top is about all I can do.
It was a lot easier to do on my FC when you have Randy standing in the pit standing right under the band clamp.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-14-2009

Loose torque converter bolts will also make you think you have main or rod bearing troubles too. it will make noise at an idle, then when you spool it up, the noise goes away
Old 11-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Harvie View Post
Loose torque converter bolts will also make you think you have main or rod bearing troubles too. it will make noise at an idle, then when you spool it up, the noise goes away
On my 'Bird I couldn't hear the noise inside the coach at all, mine has been re-insulated around the engine, so it is fairly quiet and when I increase the engine speed I hear more of the air drivers side intake than the diesel knock/rattle, I have two 4 inch air intakes and the drivers side uses the front lower portion of the engine cover near the accelerator pedal for the left side of the intake and the intake pulses create some noise there, I need to insulate it better to eliminate that.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/30053636

When Randy held his hand over the old band clamp the noise went away on mine. I'm sure if it had been loose torque converter bolts on mine Randy would have noticed, but you make a good point, noises can appear to be one thing and in the end be something else, we need to listen close and search for the source.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-16-2009

Ron,

On our vintage, the muffler guts rust loose. You may be hearing the start of that occurring. You can stick you hand down the stack and grab hold of the guts to give them a good shake.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support