Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 11-25-2009

Default RV Drivers License

South Carolina now requires a Class E (single unit) or F (for towing a trailer or toad) for RV's over 26000 GVWR. Got mine today, Class "F".

Easy but time consuming with Test, pretrip inspection, and road test. A commercial class "A" will suffice also.

I don't think they are enforcing the law yet; but wanted to get it out of the way.
Old 11-25-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmp View Post
South Carolina now requires a Class E (single unit) or F (for towing a trailer or toad) for RV's over 26000 GVWR. Got mine today, Class "F".

Easy but time consuming with Test, pretrip inspection, and road test. A commercial class "A" will suffice also.

I don't think they are enforcing the law yet; but wanted to get it out of the way.
Jerry,

I got stopped the other day by a Texas DPS officer (Highway Patrol) who wanted to measure the overall length of my 'Bird and enclosed trailer, once he was done measuring he informed me that Texas length law allowed 65 foot and mine measured 62 feet (I already knew this) and then he asked for my license which he looked over carefully front and back and then wished me a good safe trip as he let me go.

I too decided to get the proper South Carolina Class F drivers license last summer and I'm glad I did. The word I got about enforcement in South Carolina was that they are looking for the correct license now more than they ever did, after one of the state legislators received a ticket for not having the correct one while he was driving his RV in California and was involved in an accident, so my advice is if you need to upgrade that drivers license, better to do it now than later after it costs you $$$$$$$

Don't take the word of a salesman trying to sell you a 'Bird that tells you you don't need a special license to drive it.....take the time to check directly with your states Department Of Transportation to get the facts straight for yourself.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11

Last edited by iamflagman; 09-08-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2009

[QUOTE=iamflagman;37399]Jerry,

I got stopped the other day by a Texas DPS officer (Highway Patrol) who wanted to measure the overall length of my 'Bird and enclosed trailer, once he was done measuring he informed me that Texas length law allowed 65 foot and mine measured 62 feet (I already knew this) and then he asked for my license which he looked over carefully front and back and then wished me a good safe trip as he let me go.

QUOTE]

Not to change the subject John, but was this Trooper just head hunting or was there a reason to stop you other than length?

I ask because I get to Texas a couple times a year and I'm just a bit longer than you, 10' longer .

I hope the Big T isn't going the way of California. My trailer is barely big enough now.
Old 11-26-2009
Complete Greenhorn

Default Compliance Question

I am in compliance in my home state (FL) as I do not need a special license, but do their rules apply in other states? If, for instance, I go to SC, am I supposed to have an "upgraded" license or am I covered by being in compliance with my state of issue?

1979 FC33 Buddy Luce's bus (looking for a name)

LARGE MARGE - She left me for another man
Old 11-26-2009
ANOTHER REDNECK

state of coach tags and drivers home of record for that state
you have to meet the states requirements and the others must obey that states rules.

it dont hurt to have them printed off for ammo if and when this happens

i used to carry the state of okla rules with me as i was wrong in some states with my truck and trailer but within the laws of okla...CYA~~~
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 11-26-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

[QUOTE=Bumpersbird;37413]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Jerry,

QUOTE]

Not to change the subject John, but was this Trooper just head hunting or was there a reason to stop you other than length?

I ask because I get to Texas a couple times a year and I'm just a bit longer than you, 10' longer .

I hope the Big T isn't going the way of California. My trailer is barely big enough now.
It was on the south side of Abeline, where my brother lives who is a retired military police and knows most of the DPS officers and he told me he thinks that this guy is actually a DOT officer, he was driving a SUV and I had just passed him going the speed limit, and lets face it our 'Birds being flat nosed tend to look longer with an enlosed trailer than a regular Hood style tractor - trailer combination, I think that he was just doing his job.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-26-2009
Geek

State reciprocity does apply to licensing.

State reciprocity does not, generally (ever?) apply to other traffic laws.

So if you are in Texas from a State like California that only requires a regular drivers license for any weight you will be fine over 26K lbs in terms of your license. (I'm ignoring, for this discussion, the California requirement for a higher license when the MH is over 40 feet)

If, however, you are in Texas (or California) with a license from a state that allows 70 feet you will not be legal at 66 feet.

The length limit isn't a function of license, so doesn't apply to reciprocity.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 11-26-2009
RV Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel View Post
I am in compliance in my home state (FL) as I do not need a special license, but do their rules apply in other states? If, for instance, I go to SC, am I supposed to have an "upgraded" license or am I covered by being in compliance with my state of issue?
John,
I'm no attorney, but you should be ok as long as you don't take up residence in the state. Your coach is a private vehicle, if it were a transport for hire then you may have a problem. I don't think it is like the motorcycle torts or speed limit signs. If the state has a helmet law, you must conform, if the speed limit is 65 you can't drive 80. If their legal age is 16 for a license you have to be 16 or over, but I really do not think they can force you to go to their local BMV and obtain a special classification for your bird simply because you were driving through their state. On the other hand California does some wierd stuff they even let you grow your own weed, well for medical purposes anyway.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 11-26-2009
Geek

A complete discussion of the reciprocity of licenses can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%..._United_States

With the critical line near the top: "all states recognize each other's licenses for temporary visitors subject to normal age requirements." So age is the only exception for not recognizing a license for general driving purposes.

There is a different agreement among (most) states called the Drivers License Compact that has to do with how states deal with violations occurring in other states. It includes all states except Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin, Tennessee, and Massachusetts. Details can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 11-26-2009

Hi All,

I have been in this area that John is in for about 5 months (I 20 between Abieine and Odessa) I have met a couple of RV owners who tow race car trailers and they are over the 65' mark and every time they run from here to Dallas for the races they all get stopped and ticketed I have heard this from 3 different people. I did not ask how much the ticket was but I did hear that you can apply for an over lenth permit for a month with allows you to come and go in that time frame. I have not verified with the state DOT. Hope that might help if you are over the limit.

Denny
727 631 3844

1980 FC 33' SB