Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 12-21-2009

Default series 60 ecu

My 96 series 60 showed a EEPROM error on the drive home from picking it up in Florida. The error reset with every engine restart, but returned after a period of driving (various time required before returning).

Looking through the PO paperwork in 2006 he had it at the BB factory troubleshooting some Pro driver error codes. The result was BB determined that the ECU needed replacement, in order to keep the error codes from returning, but the receipt clearly shows that the PO did not replace the ECU. He had BB put the old one back in. There is no paperwork to indicate that he ever replaced the ECU. I assume that I am getting the same error code that he was getting.

There are several Series 60 DDEC II ecu's on EBay. I assume that these will work, or is there a place that can test and repair an ECU? the ones on Ebay are used (assumed serviceable). My fear is you could end up buying an ECU that has some problems, maybe worse than the one I have.

Anybody with experience/knowledge in this area?

As always - thanks
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 12-21-2009

Any of the larger truck shops (DD specifically) should be able to do the work. I'd check with them to see if there's a specific calibration that will work better or is programable more than others.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-21-2009

I talked with the local Detroit Diesel shop. They claim the the EEPROM error, code 53, and is a nuisanse code and there is nothing wrong with my ECM. He says it is likely just a check sum error. I guess it is very common. Also he told me that the ECU is for the transmission, and the ECM is for the engine. He said that they could likely reprogram the ECM so thet the error 53 will not trigger the engine caution light, I guess later models were programed this way.
He said the other possibility is there is a internal battery that might be wearing out. The DD solution is to buy a new ECM ($2000). He did say that they can open the ECM and replace the battery but that is against DD policy ( I think they replace batteries a lot).

Does anybody have and experience with this, and if they are reprograming the ECM is there other changes to the programing that I should consider.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 12-23-2009

There are 2 changes I'll eventually do to mine. I'm going to turn the fuel up a little. The coach is much more responsive when this is done. There does not appear to be a loss in fuel mileage in doing so. Second, I am going to change the Jake preselect to 5th. You can always manually select 4th; but if it selects 4th, you can't manually select back up to 5th. The Jake is much freindlier this way.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-23-2009

Peter:
We had a similar-but not the same-problem a year ago. There were a couple of issues (alternator being the primary), but I would definitely check the cable that goes from the battery to the ECM and ECU. A dirty or compromised terminal could cause an intermittent low voltage reading. Any reduction of voltage can cause error codes.