Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 04-11-2010

Default Motorcycle and Car Towing Options

I currently have a 2002 Honda Civic that cannot be flat-towed, and a 2006 Triumph Sprint motorcycle. As I see it I have three options for transporting two vehicles behind my SP:

1. Buy a different car that can be flat-towed and install a motorcycle lift on the back of the SP;

2. Use a tandem tow dolly like this one:
http://www.racecityrvproducts.com/HD.htm

3. Use an enclosed trailer to haul both motorcycle and car ala John Finn.

I think number 1) is the "best" option from a convenience perspective but I am worried about hanging 800-1000 lbs of weight (lift + motorcycle) at the very rear of the motorhome. Will this lighten the steering, overload the rear axle, or ruin the ride by sagging the rear suspension too much? Do these connect to the hitch receiver or the frame, or are both types available? I think the tongue weight on the hitch should be rated for 10% of the towing capacity or 1000 lbs (with 10,000 lbs towing capacity) so maybe this isn't as big a problem as I think.

Number 2) seems not to be in favour as most people think tow dollies are a PITA. It also seems expensive as the tow dolly will price out at close to $5000 new with options and I can't find any used ones.

Number 3) seems like an awful lot of weight, expense, and PITA finding a place to park the trailer.

Thoughts and experiences, especially from anyone who has installed a motorcycle lift?
Old 04-11-2010
Forum Moderator

Richard could you tell us why your Honda Civic 2002 cannot be towed. Remco the towing gurus say this......

Towable as is. No formal testing but Remco knows of no problems. Follow procedures found under emergency towing. Hybrids?CVt transmissions require a dolly.

You can check the whole info at www.remcotowing.com
Old 04-11-2010

Rob, I was going off the dinghy towing guides published by Motorhome magazine. In their 2002 guide there are no Honda cars listed, only the CR-V. Thanks for the Remco link.
Old 04-11-2010

I'd go with #3

Weight on the coach maybe 1000 to 1200 lbs. tongue weight

The coach can pull anything you put in a trailer.

Any trailer you put a car in will have it's own brakes as well.

Versatile.

Never had a problem parking it usually om the same spot as the bus,if spot too small the park will usually accommodate you, never had to pay extra for parking it.

With the exception of when I really want it close by I just rent 2 spots. Makes for a big camp!

Old 04-11-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselin View Post
Rob, I was going off the dinghy towing guides published by Motorhome magazine. In their 2002 guide there are no Honda cars listed, only the CR-V. Thanks for the Remco link.
As I understand it the MH Magzaine guide leaves out vehicles unless the auto company specifically states they may be flat towed. Probably a lawyer/lawsuit situation. REMCO know it's stuff and I would trust it.
Old 04-11-2010

Richard,

I'm looking to do the same thing as you are looking into this summer. We already have a dolly that works fine towing my wife's Saab (the dolly came with the Wanderlodge when we bought it last year). I'm looking at the following as a motorcycle lift to attach to the back of my FC.

http://www.overbiltlifts.com/

You will notice that they sell a dolly that also has room for your bike. Also they are relatively close to me so I could bring the Wanderlodge to them and have them weld the receiver on and attach and set up the lift.

There is another carrier that lifts the bike up even higher, but I'm not sure how high I want it riding on the RV.

http://www.discountramps.com/rv-motorcycle-carrier.htm

Anyone that knows of either of these motorcycle carriers please share your experiences!

I have a Honda ST1100, not as heavy as a Harley, but still not small.

One nice thing about the overbuilt lift is it folds up to reduce the amount of room it takes up when you aren't using it. When we won't need 2 vehicles I think we can just take the bike, shorter vehicle and can back up (backing up our dolly, which has tires that turn, is really a trick).

Thanks for starting this thread!
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 04-12-2010

Well, I am using a full size pickup as my TOAD and using a Triple D Loader to lift my trike into the pickup. www.tripledloader.com How is it going to work out? Too soon to tell.

UPDATE: The Loader is working out Perfectly! it is a 1 minute operation to Load a trike with no strain and no stress.
Idaho

Last edited by jking99; 12-25-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: update info
Old 04-12-2010

One advantage to the enclosed trailer is that everything stays CLEAN.

One disadvantage to the enclosed trailer is you have it to park and deal with, similar to or perhaps more trouble then the tow dolly.

From my experience if I felt I HAD to have both the car and the MC I'd go with the enclosed trailer. ESPECIALLY if you are talking about a large motorcycle. Scooters and smaller stuff there are other ways to go which are more practical but if you are talking Harley's Honda Goldwings and such the enclosed trailer makes more sense then hanging all that weight off the end of the bus.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 04-12-2010

Richard,
I will repeat about everything that was said above. With a trailer, you literally have your garage with you. My Harley and Toyota stay clean no matter what the wether. With a lift and a tow dolly that wouldn't be the case. Not only that there is extra room for other incidental item storage. One other thing that I will mention. I haven't done it yet but am looking into it. With the trialer, I plan on putting an A/C unit on the roof, putting two or maybe more, fold up beds on the sidewalls. I have a small dorm style fridge to put inside too. This will give you extra sleeping space if needed. Don't know you particular situation but this would be good for me. You can still take all your toys and friends. Just move the toys outside at night and you have an extra room.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 04-12-2010

Jim, I think you make some good points and you know if you through in one of those Honda generators and insulate the trailer a little you have a lot of options. BUT, that being said we do this stuff to get away from it all and the more stuff you carry with you the more complicated we make it for ourselves.

Some of my use for my Blue Bird involves travel without even the toad vehicle. You know its pretty darned nice not to have to worry about that thing back there. So while I agree completely with your comments I just think it's important to make some statement that there are advantages to keeping it as simple (stupid) as is possible.

To the extreme. If you have to take it all with you maybe you'd be better off staying home? Each of us has to decide how much we need. I've seen my wife carry stuff in and out of the motor home a number of times and a significant amount of the stuff is just round tripped and not used. The larger the trailer the more stuff you'll think you need. So just factor that all into the equation.

A twenty foot trailer a Smart car and a motorcycle inside would work pretty nice.

If I get around to it I'll post my scooter lift I made. It doesn't extend my total length at all and works pretty well for smallish bikes and scooters. It's a pretty big PIA to use as compared to a trailer but it has the advantage of not taking up space once you've landed.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold