Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 04-15-2010
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
Another interesting point.. it appears that these states do not allow 102" (8-1/2') Coaches;

Kentucky, Louisiana, & North Carolina. It's a good thing NONE of our members live there with a wide coach! hee hee hee

Anyone have any issue or know of any incidences with that?

Actually.. This article applies to trailers.. not coaches.. so in these 3 states they indicate you cannot have a trailer over 8' wide. Anyone have 1st hand knowledge of that?
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 04-16-2010
Timberlake Products Group

Michael,

Its all good conversation! Just for clarification, there is a retailer here in town selling tandem axle #7000 GVW trailers with only one axle brake, not a DOT legal trailer but being sold never the less Sad

Anyway, I hope you copy and pasted that long disertation? Lots of info!

I will say that Express Trailer, our local builder, is first class in quality and staffing as well. Just to see the exquisite welding, fabrication and powder coating etc. put me at ease. Dang, real works of art!

As you said, I too am glad that most of us are on the side of caution and certainly safety too.

The state laws are a bit odd but what about government is not odd?? The caveat to it all for me anyway is the term "reciprocal", some states are, some are not reciprocal. Georgia is not for one... What this means is they can turn a blind eye or make a life miserable there choice.

I prefer to be as "legal" as possible even though my 8' 6" wide trailer is not "legal" in the state of Georgia??? Go figure!

Ultimately I think that yes sir, no sir, whatever you say sir is the safest side to be on with law enforcement.

Probably out of date but here goes...

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Be safe!

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 04-16-2010

Just because the max width/length/whatever is less than what you're traveling with, doesn't mean you can't travel in the state. You just need to get the permits to do so. The state that should get everybody looking at their trailers is Nevada. Anything over 1500 GVW needs brakes on all wheels. I look at the minimums and try to meet those, so then I'm legal every place else.

Good info and discussion, btw!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 04-19-2010

Default Looking at This Trailer

I've found this trailer, new, on Ebay and located in Indiana. Thoughts on quality and value? The "Buy It Now" price is $7700. From the standpoint of hauling a car and a motorcycle I think it is near ideal, if a bit heavy (4300 lbs curb, about 7500 lbs with my car and motorcycle).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_3280wt_1167

Anybody know how easy it is to add additional D-rings for the motorcycle? Should these be installed by the dealer/manufacturer?
Old 04-19-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselin View Post
Anybody know how easy it is to add additional D-rings for the motorcycle? Should these be installed by the dealer/manufacturer?
I had the manufacturer add E Track so that I could adjust the attachment points depending on what I was hauling.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/99502470

I use various types of attaching devises for the E Tracks;

Here is how I attach the tie downs and ratchets for the race car.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/99502467
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0000-Powertye-2-E-Track-Clip-w--D-Ring.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	4715   Click image for larger version

Name:	0000-Powertye-2-E-Track-Clip-w--O-Ring.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	4716   Click image for larger version

Name:	E TRACK.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	4717  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 04-19-2010
95 WB 42

Richard

I agree with John about the E-track I installed myself was easy and is very secure,maybe 45,000 miles NO problems.
Screwed to floor with wood screws in all holes-self tapping Tec screws at all metal floor joists,=2 every 16" maybe overkill but screws are cheap insurance.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 04-19-2010
Forum owner

I would not buy a trailer with torsion axles.
Johns trailer came with torsion axles and the first set was replaced under warranty after they cracked,The 2nd set cracked as well and even before they cracked John had big trouble keeping tires on it,they had strange wear problems that indicted they were not straight.
We changed the torsions to spring type axles last november,hes had no problems with tire wear since that change,8000 miles ago.
JMO

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-19-2010

Torsion Axles that's a good subject.

I've had a 24' Haulmark Edge with torsion axles since 1995 and have mixed feelings about the axles.

Lots of tire problems with the tires.

Finally decided the debate about needing tires built specially for trailers in BULL *******!!!!! They flex differently and this and that B.S.

If it was that critical why are there not more companies making them two choices Goodyear or Carlise,( Goodyear), and a few Chinese Brands.

By the way Goodyear Marathons are built in China.

Goodyear Marathons should be pulled from the market.

Undoubtedly the worst tire ever built.

I would loose a tire every time I took the trailer down the road. REALLY!!! The last 4 I bought, the first one went out in less than 500 miles. The others didn't make 1500 miles.

Solution I went to 16" Kumho truck tires tires .

5000+ miles latter no problems, no visible wear. I never had a Marathon go that far.

My recommendation regardless of what trailer you buy. 16" Pickup truck tires with an appropriate rating will serve you better than anything they call Trailer Service Tires.

Goodyear does make a trailer specific tire that is good but they are 300+ dollars each and require rims that can hold a 130 PSI that will come out 2000 bucks for 4 tires and wheels, to re shod your trailer, very expensive. The 6 Kumho tires and 5 American Racing rims $1150.

I bought and extra rim and mounted 1 tire and have a back up to that spare. Why? Because of the bad experience I had with Goodyear. So far haven't needed the spares

Here they are, Anybody want them. No warranties!!!!

I have 5 take offs from my Car Hauler. I went to 16's. 1 tire has some wear on it the tire on the bottom of the stack less that 800 miles on it, but good enough for a spare. 3 in very good condition and one new, buy all 5 for $495.00 or trade for 1 new Michelin 12R-22.5 or a 315

Old 04-19-2010

Interesting. I have always assumed the torsion axles were better, they do use them on the more expensive trailers am I not correct in that?

Everything Kurt said makes sense to me. I would think the two critical things with a trailer would be keeping it going straight down the road and being sufficiently well built and shod to carry the load. I suspect that those two issues are very commonly not up to snuff. You see lots of trailers of all kinds with little wheels. Bigger is certainly better and is the one single thing that has always impressed me most about the Birds. Big wheels and big tires.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 04-19-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

If I didn't already have a collection of 15 inch aluminum and steel trailer rims, I would have probably gone with 16 inch wheels and tires when we changed out the axles to Dexter dropped spring style axles, and I also had purchased a different brand of tire after having so many problems with three other brands of trailer tires, so I purchased five MAXXIS Trailer Tires http://www.maxxistires.com/ and here is a comparison of two of those tires after I had to switch out one of them due to a non-repairable flat caused by a nail in the shoulder of one of the tires. Although at first I was reluctant to purchase these tires because they were quite a bit higher priced than those other brands that I had been using, I felt that I was running out of options in a 15 inch trailer tire, but now I am very happy with the performance and wear of these tires and will purchase a another set whenever these need to be replaced, which as you can see below doesn't appear to be any time soon.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MAXXIS TIRE COMPARRISON.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	4734  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11