Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-12-2012
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
It's insane to replace the whole factory riveted ball joints just because the boots are torn. I would reproduce the boot even at a relatively high cost before I would drill out those joints unless the joints themselves are bad.

Phil Swanson
I need someone to send me a used ball joint assembly so I can get dimensions and check form/fit/function in order to possibly injection mold a replacement boot.

--------------------------------

I am also tooling up to make the various replacement faux walnut switch bezels that will fit the M380's and M450's. Cliff Vaughn gets the first set

Please send a PM and no, I don't need any tooling money
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_6125.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	15738  

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 04-12-2012

Now you're talking!

Phil Swanson
Old 04-12-2012
Forum owner

Thats an offer you can't refuse!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-12-2012

I had been holding off adding to this thread until I was further along with work on my coach. However, since there seems to be some confusion and missinformation being circulated, I will try to present what I have done and discovered about the 380/450 front suspension.

If anyone finds something wrong in what am saying, please bring it out. I am listing what I have found through research and personal experience with my coach, but it certainly may have errors and we are all here to learn.

First forget about your Honda rivited on ball joint. The comparison of the ball joint on the 380/450 to an automotive joint is similar to comparing the king pin on your FC or LXI to your kids little red wagon.

Even if we have new boots, the spindle must be removed from the ball joint to install a new boot. Simple you say --just back the nut off the stud and pop out the joint out of the tapered hole. -- not so fast -- It is a 2 inch stud with a 2 5/8 nut installed at over 920 ft lbs. After purchasing $500 worth of torque multlipliers and a 250 ft. lb torque wrench, I have managed to install a trial new boot (modified cv joint boot) on the drivers side of my coach. While my joint has some play, (the max listed by Meritor is around .080) it appears to still be servicable. Now, how many of you would be able to change the boot it you had a replacement??

If you need to replace the joint, just drill out a few rivets right -- again, not so fast. It is threaded, 80 mm for the lower ball joint and installed at over 1000 ft/lbs with locktite 243 using a special spanner socket.

Now that I have finished ranting. I am in the process of trying to remove the failed boot on the passenger side if my coach. It is split, but should be good enough to send to Ryan. Thanks for your kind offer. It is about 4 inches in diameter on the big end and 2 inches on the stud end. The issue is that it is only approximately 2 inches high. This appears to be the problem -- with the 55 degree steering angle it has to be able to rotate 110 degrees from stop to stop. If it doesn't slide on the stud end, it tears.

Anyway, enough for tonight. Later, we can talk about the problem that Al is having that Meritor says that they cannot supply any new joints.
Old 04-12-2012
Timberlake Products Group

Great observations Jim. I am looking into a snap together wrap around boot? No tools required

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 04-17-2012

count me in on the M380 replacement boot project!
Old 04-17-2012

I would like a set of boots and a bezel for an m380 when they are ready. I also would like to say THANK YOU for you guys that are willing to spend your time making someone else's life a little better.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 04-18-2012

Boot from lower ball joint removed from my coach was in the mail to Ryan yesterday. I now have modified CV joint boots on both lower ball joints, getting ready for approximate 1400 mile trip. Will see how they hold up. Wish me luck!!
Old 04-18-2012
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
Boot from lower ball joint removed from my coach was in the mail to Ryan yesterday. I now have modified CV joint boots on both lower ball joints, getting ready for approximate 1400 mile trip. Will see how they hold up. Wish me luck!!
You know what we say Jim.
Without pics,it never happened!
Good luck!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-18-2012

Here is a picture of the modified CV joint boot. I had to remove several of the convolutions to make it short enough to fit in the available space (only about 2 inches). Interlocked two of the convolutions to (hopefully) allow it to rotate freely and keep water and contaminats out (again I hope).

As for pictures of the work required to seperate the ball joint from the spindle/hub. I apologize to Randy and the forum. I do many things in ways that work for me, but may not be suitable or satisfactory for others. After seeing the issues caused by KC's ramps, I am just not willing to spend time defending and justifing how and why I perform work in the manner that I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM6626.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	15820