Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-18-2012
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
Here is a picture of the modified CV joint boot. I had to remove several of the convolutions to make it short enough to fit in the available space (only about 2 inches). Interlocked two of the convolutions to (hopefully) allow it to rotate freely and keep water and contaminats out (again I hope).

As for pictures of the work required to seperate the ball joint from the spindle/hub. I apologize to Randy and the forum. I do many things in ways that work for me, but may not be suitable or satisfactory for others. After seeing the issues caused by KC's ramps, I am just not willing to spend time defending and justifing how and why I perform work in the manner that I do.
That boot looks good in the pics.
And,I completely understand your feelings on the pics etc.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-18-2012
davidmbrady

Quote:
While my joint has some play, (the max listed by Meritor is around .080) it appears to still be serviceable.
Jim, where's that 80 thou measured?

Skip that. I found it on page 10 of the RIS16EF Maintenance Manual: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...Suspension.pdf

Last edited by davidmbrady; 04-18-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Thanks anyway, I found the info.
Old 04-18-2012
davidmbrady

Here's a pic of a tie-rod end ball joint for my bus. It's interesting that the dust cover is clear. Ryan, any idea what it's made of? Also, it's allowed to slip at the tapered end, it doesn't twist and bind up. It seems like asking a 2" tall dust cover to twist 110 deg isn't such a great idea. Here's a photo album with close up shots: https://picasaweb.google.com/dmb2000...eat=directlink

Old 04-18-2012
davidmbrady

Ryan, skip that. It appears to by a polyurethane dust boot. Polyurethane seems to be the current trend.
Old 05-01-2012

Latest report on the modified CV joint boot to replace damaged split originals. We just returned from a 1500+ mile trip. This included much twisting, turning, bumps, etc in the VA and West VA mountains. Happy to report that the boots look just like they did when we left home. No damage and they appear the still seal very well at both top and bottom. The only thing I cannot verify is that nothing penetrated the area where I interlocked the convolutions to shorten the boot and allow freedom of rotation. Still much better than a big split just inviting water and grit to get into the joint.

If Ryan can come up with a design that allows a new boot to be installed without seperating the joint from the spindle it will be great. Even if not, at least it will be possible to install a one piece new boot without any special tools (just big torque multipliers and a fair amount of work).

Thanks to Shane and John Finn for the excuse to do the 1500 mile test run.
Old 05-01-2012
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Latest report on the modified CV joint boot to replace damaged split originals. We just returned from a 1500+ mile trip. This included much twisting, turning, bumps, etc in the VA and West VA mountains. Happy to report that the boots look just like they did when we left home. No damage and they appear the still seal very well at both top and bottom. The only thing I cannot verify is that nothing penetrated the area where I interlocked the convolutions to shorten the boot and allow freedom of rotation. Still much better than a big split just inviting water and grit to get into the joint.

If Ryan can come up with a design that allows a new boot to be installed without seperating the joint from the spindle it will be great. Even if not, at least it will be possible to install a one piece new boot without any special tools (just big torque multipliers and a fair amount of work).

Thanks to Shane and John Finn for the excuse to do the 1500 mile test run.
Jim thanks again for the sample boot It will be a bit of a challenge to make a 2 piece boot with the limited space available I will be looking into it in Earnest (T Bass...) in a few weeks. M380/450 switch bezels are at the top of the list along side Brady seal retainer molding.

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 07-13-2012
Timberlake Products Group

Whew, too many bird parts

The suspension boot is next on my list finally. Stay tuned...

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 07-14-2012

Anyone ever compare the boots on the 380 vs the 450? Are they the same or do we have a heavier axle and different sized boots/ball joints?

Dan
San Marcos, CA

Old 07-14-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
Whew, too many bird parts

The suspension boot is next on my list finally. Stay tuned...
Do not have these boots , but still interested, Goooo Ryan.
waiting for the pics.
Old 07-14-2012
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gsur View Post
Anyone ever compare the boots on the 380 vs the 450? Are they the same or do we have a heavier axle and different sized boots/ball joints?

Dan
Good question Dan.
I am also wondering if the 450 suspension is the same as the 380.
Have any of you 450 guys checked the boots?
Hish,if your watching this thread,can you tell us how long after an automotive product is made do they have ton provide replacement parts?
We have been in touch with everyone,and theres no balls joints available for the 380's,and we have a member that needs them dearly.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com