Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 07-25-2010

Default air line fittings

Hey group:

Hoping to help my ignorance with air line fittings on the coach. Luckily I have had no problems or leaks with my system, but now that she is 13 years old she has given up on being leak free. I thought it lucky that the air line that decided to give it up was under the Isri air drivers seat. When I went to repair it, the one end of the line was a compression fitting. In the middle was a brass union , and another compression under the seat. The tubing is very brittle and needs replacing. So here is the questions:

1: Air line type: is it nylon or urethane tubing.

2: fittings: Searching the internet I find quick connect fittings like are on the coach now. Brass fittings. The union I have now will not release the tubing when I push on the collar. I see on the internet that they make a quick connect/release type, and others say nothing about releasing. Which is the better type to get ??? Seems to me that the release kind would allow a tubing fix without a fitting cost. These brass fittings are getting up in price.

3: replacing air lines before more go bad: I know that air lines in the dash and nose of the coach play important parts in step, defroster, vents,etc function.
Has anyone attempted or needed to replace the air lines yet in the older coaches ???

Just trying to avoid more problems down the road, and if I am buying fittings and hoses, better to buy them in bulk.

Thanks in advance for helping with my ignorance on this subject.

William Jensen
1993 PT 40 WBWL
8V92 Detroit Turbo
"Maudi"
Deerfield Beach, Florida
Old 07-25-2010
Gardner

William,
I have several of the insert-push release fittings on my coach. I want to replace them with compression types, however. My concern is how well they age and the consequences of a line blowing off. I think if the installation has the lines routed well with wide arcs and no stress on the line, it might be fine. So far I had one leak due to the line being stressed a little, tight quarters.

It's only my opinion, others may disagree.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey