Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 07-31-2010

Default TA Fuel Prices

I live in Washington and fuel in Oregon on many occasions. If you look at the $2.66 price you most always see in small letters underneath the sign "With PUC". There is no argument. Oregon requires the dealer to charge the private individual the road tax when paying at the pump and the holder of the PUC pays directly to the state. That's the way Oregon does it. We may not like it but again that's the way Oregon does it.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 07-31-2010

Ayup--it's true. I've fueled (that is, watched the pump attendant pump the fuel) in Oregon many times on my way through from Washington to Southern Idaho. The PUC charge is true for all fuel sellers in Oregon. There was a thread started October of last year that covered this in some detail in relation to Flying J (see Cash Price 4 Diesel Same in RV & Truck Islands? at http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4270)
http://theronflatlee.blogspot.com
Old 07-31-2010
Geek

I wonder if anyone in an RV fueling at a truck stop in Arizona would require the attendant to charge them the price posted on the sign out front for trucks? Their law is the other way around - the posted price for trucks is higher than it is for cars and RVs.

Truck stops post prices for trucks. Automobile gas stations that have diesel (in both Oregon and Arizona), post the automobile price. That's how it should be. Expecting either to post prices that are aimed at other than their primary customers is not practical, nor is it false advertising when they correctly post what the majority of their customers are going to pay.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 07-31-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
I wonder if anyone in an RV fueling at a truck stop in Arizona would require the attendant to charge them the price posted on the sign out front for trucks? Their law is the other way around - the posted price for trucks is higher than it is for cars and RVs.

Truck stops post prices for trucks. Automobile gas stations that have diesel (in both Oregon and Arizona), post the automobile price. That's how it should be. Expecting either to post prices that are aimed at other than their primary customers is not practical, nor is it false advertising when they correctly post what the majority of their customers are going to pay.
Don,

Interesting in that Travelcenters of America (TA) services about as many automobiles as trucks.

Chuck
Old 07-31-2010
cmillsap

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
Feel free to disagree.

You and/or TA stole .24 per gallon in taxes from the state (even though unintentional on your part). I am no fan of taxes, but I don't intend to suffer the fines for not paying a legal statewide fuel tax. I don't refuel with red off road desiel, and I don't accept a tax break that is not legally mine at the pump. I was asked 3 times at one major chain in Oregon (Portland) if I was private and I said yes all 3 times - I think they were offering me "the break". Oregon likely has fuel tax inspectors visiting the fuel sellers, and I don't want to become the example in the courts or on the nightly news.

Your best and safest recourse is to never again fuel in Oregon as EVERY fuel station does the exact same thing on the electronic billboards statewide. Every Oregon resident and most visitors know the advertised price is for the truckers, and that a private sale is .24 more per gallon.

A letter writing campaign to Oreogn legislators and EVERY fuel chain in Oregon "might" get you to have things the way you want them to be, versus the reality of life in Oregon.

Taxes do suck in general, and get higher by the year.
Dan,

First of all, I don't know where you got your 24 cents, $2.98-$2.66= 32 cents. I'm glad to know that you are a honest person and pay your taxes. That was not the issue here. Your remark that is outlined in red above was uncalled for. You don't know if TA collected and paid the taxes on the sale or not, you're just assuming they didn't. That being said, I'm now sorry I brought the issue up but I was only trying to make all aware of the discrepency in the TA road sign prices and the actual price. This is my last post on the subject. Please consider the conversation closed......

Chuck
Old 07-31-2010

I'm on Chuck's side here. If they advertise a price and don't qualify it, then they must honor it, otherwise it is false advertising. I don't subscribe to this "everybody should/does know" BS, that is PC talk for screwing the out-of-state customer.

Not a fuel price thing, but I got dinged for a $7.50 toll violation in Colorado. I stopped at every toll booth, paid every toll I observed, but still got dinged because of some "everybody should/does know" BS that is not posted and is designed to gouge the out-of-state visitor who doesn't know.
Old 07-31-2010
Forum Moderator

All good points but lets keep it civil guys. After all we all have to go to rallies together.
Old 07-31-2010

Oregon has some odd laws - -like you can't pump your own gas - - - - except for diesel.
So you can't fill your toad (unless diesel) but bus is ok.
????????????????????

Ed & Carolyn Nowokunski
95BMC37 - Thunderchief
The Great Outdoors (TGO)
Titusville, Florida
Old 07-31-2010
Geek

Usually the price on Oregon Truck Stop pumps is 30 cents higher than posted. That's 24 cents tax, 6 cents for not using cash.

I've never fueled at the TA in Troutdale, but I've fueled next door many, many times. Most recently 3 weeks ago, two days after it switched from being a Flying J to being a Love's. The price on the big flashing sign was $2.739, and the price on the pump was $3.039. I paid cash and paid $2.979. Was expecting to use my Flying J card for the cash price, but of course that wasn't happening anymore at that location.

Most truck stops in all states have prices on the pump 6 cents higher than the sign out front says. Oregon is unique in having the extra 24 cents, but there is also Indiana where the difference is not a set cent-spread but rather is 6%.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 07-31-2010

The lower price is the PUC price. Most stations have sign that says deisel price and then the letters PUC below. It is 24 cents per gal difference (State fuel tax on diesel).
One with an RV can buy the card and get the price but the card costs so much that one would have to buy 1000;s of gallons of fuel each year in Oregon to make it pay off.
"Dream Catcher"