Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 01-04-2013

I think that there is no question your involvement with your son on his racing activities are central to what your family does. But, what happens when/if he decides not to continue with this. When he goes to college or gets married and so on. I guess my thought is that I can still be involved in my son's activities with a "motorhome looking RV" Then I can also take it to the local state park and a trip just to relax and enjoy like most of us do with our coaches and still have something I can be proud of and maybe even sell should I decide to. Of course you can still do all those things but selling it might require someone to re-paint. I don't think I have ever seen Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart in a coach that was all done in advertising graphics. Now their trailers maybe but their coaches look pretty high class to me.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 01-04-2013

No matter what you decide I would be paying very close attention to what is being applied and how! Quality in the paint business usually equals dollars. Typically, a back yard paint job will put color on but not factory color. For instance, all clear coats and color coats are not equal.

To give you an example, the color coat alone, nothing else, for my Mercedes 500SEC car cost $700 in the can.

Quality PPG two stage paint, in general, calls for a base coat flash time of 10-15 minutes, maximum 24 hours at 70F, then clear coat. The longer you wait, the more likely the clear coat will fail to bond chemically and then will peal. Miss the re-coat window and you get to scuff and reapply the color coat then clear or you get clear coat peal after they got your money. If not set up to do so, that is a very large piece to paint properly in a timely fashion.

For these reasons, and from personal experience, I have never been a fan of two stage paint. It just provides one more step for a costly mistake to be made, typically on your wallet.

Me? I would stick with three coats of Imron over quality epoxy primer. Just like they do on airplanes.

Like I said. I would be paying very close attention.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 01-04-2013

I realize paint colors are a very personal decision, but I believe Rob and Sue have the most beautiful paint job ever put on a bird. The colors and style are perfect for that model and year.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 01-04-2013
Former Bird Owner

I'd be careful about "too commercial" a design. As an author, I thought it would be cool to wrap my coach using a design to promote my book and design business.

I happened to mention that idea to my insurance agent. Warning-Danger Will Robinson! The insurance agent stated that "then we'll have to charge you business use rates on the coach." That would have been WAY more expensive. (The cost of the wrap also proved prohibitive, considering the benefit.) After considering the costs a "bland, RV look" proved to be exactly what I was happy with.

So, check with your insurance agent.

I note, too, that a few years ago an ad company was offering to wrap VW beetles with payment to the owners for the advertising (for a variety of products). The plan was limited to a few major cities (like S.F., L.A., Chicago, etc...) but in some states the insurance rules turned those into "commercial" vehicles with expensive ramifications.

Long ago, I learned a lesson about being "too ostentatious" -- it can attract unwanted attention. As a child, my mom would park her Mercedes around the corner when she visited a vendor to get quotes on custom items (like window coverings). She said, if they see the car, prices would go up 10% or more! (Lesson learned -- I drive a fairly ordinary Toyota -- when I could have gotten a substantially-similar Lexus.) Indeed, there are times I wish that my Sprinter van carried the Freightliner grill and logos instead of the Mercedes. (Meanwhile, there are 'kits' to change the look of a Dodge or Freightliner Sprinter to Mercedes -- for those who need the ego boost.)

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-04-2013

Also some designs may attract unwanted attention from a variety of people.

Sometimes blending in is not a bad thing............

Just a thought.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 01-05-2013

Thank you for all the feedback gents..... I actually agree with most of what you are all saying. I am taking the bus and trailer up to the shop in the morning so they can start with the body work. They figure they will be sanding and body filling for the first week, then prime, so I have at least another week to confirm the colour....

I found a pic that caught my attention......

what do you think of this?.. (without the cat)
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 01-05-2013

Boy that's sharp.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 01-05-2013
Timberlake Products Group

This one is subtle but classy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version