Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 10-07-2010
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morefire View Post
Ok, few updates....

I am hoping to stuff a 75Gal Propane tank in here beside the fuel tank.

FWIW: Most Wanderlodge's that I am aware of that carried propane had 45 gallon tanks and that went a loooooong way. You know what your wants and needs are but 75 gallons is a lot of propane. I would consider things such as what kind of heating system you plan. Will it be diesel fired? What kind of fridge, will it be an RV unit or a compressor based home unit? Depending on these answers it may turn out that propane will end up being for cooking only? Just some points to consider. Best of luck....

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynavion View Post
FWIW: Most Wanderlodge's that I am aware of that carried propane had 45 gallon tanks and that went a loooooong way. You know what your wants and needs are but 75 gallons is a lot of propane. I would consider things such as what kind of heating system you plan. Will it be diesel fired? What kind of fridge, will it be an RV unit or a compressor based home unit? Depending on these answers it may turn out that propane will end up being for cooking only? Just some points to consider. Best of luck....
The plan right now is to have a propane/electric Fridge, propane stove, and probably a slide out propane BBQ in the Bay that is tapped into the propane lines. I probably dont really need a 75 gal tank....but I got it out of a Newell that was being stripped....for free.

But I am really hoping to find a good deal on a good used Aqua-Hot system for the hot water and heat.
So far I did run into a Hurricane system with 1100-hours, for $900. is that good?
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Why two? Who bought the ISX equipped coach?
From what I understand, there was a trucking company in Maryland that bought all 6 coaches that was on the assembly line when the factory shut down, along with some engines.
It sounds like the trucking company was just going to pull out the drive trains, then sell and dump the rest. Then 2 partners/friends bought the coaches from the trucking company and had plans to each build a motor home coach and sell the extra's for parts. One partner is going ahead, and that’s the 45' wonderlodge you see in the background, and the other partner gave up and decided he can’t bother, and just wanted his money back, and that is who I bought my 2 40' coaches from.

I bought the second coach because I got it cheap, because the original trucking company already took out the Cat engine and trans. I don’t think I am ever going to finish it, but will just keep it for parts, if I ever need it. It has the wheels/tires, a Massive Thermo King AC on the roof etc...

The sad part......1 of the 45' wonderlodge coach's was as complete as mine, but had 4 working slides already installed, and would have been drivable, but the trucking company took out the drive train, and had the workers pull out the slides, chop them up, and throw them in a recycle dumpster!!
They had no clue....just for the engine, they chopped up a coach they could have probably got $100,000+ for, as it was.
They were about to chop up the rest of the coach before these 2 guys bought them.
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-07-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
You might want to look for some dead space under the chassis for propane tank. You want it outside where the wind can get to it. Not real enclosed. When they are filled there is allot of fumes and vapors escaped you don't want them trapped in your cargo area. I guess you could vent stuff. That stuff really goes when it goes! Especially if it is trapped gas!.....................................You might want to look for some dead space under the chassis for propane tank. You want it outside where the wind can get to it. Not real enclosed. When they are filled there is allot of fumes and vapors escaped you don't want them trapped in your cargo area. I guess you could vent stuff. Open both sides? for venting while filling?
I know that on Randy's BURNED 'BIRD Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning > FIRE!!!!!Cheech and Chong,up in smoke! the propane tank was actually located in the middle of the coach inside one of the outside compartments and behind a panel that was accessible by removing screws, I believe that a lot of the later model 'Birds came the same way. The filler is accessible from near the outside of the coach.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-07-2010

the propane tank can be covered on 5 sides but must be open to air on the bottom in also must be installed in a manner that is NOT locked must be accessible
it also must be sealed from the inside of the coach

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 10-07-2010
Forum owner

Before i installed any propane devices i would contact my insurance company to see if they will insure a coach with a home built interior and equipped with a propane tank and fixtures.
Lots of companys that convert coachs do not install propane because of insurance problems.(or so I have read).

Do you have a title for the bus?

Stephen,none of the propane tanks in the WB's are assessable
They are all sealed behind a panel in the bays..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-07-2010

Randy, Yes, we have a title and the title say Motorhome, not bus or conversion.
But I will deal with insureance when i get to that point, After the Coach is done and ready for the road, and if for some reason my insurance company didnt want to cover it, I'll just find another insurance company.
Also, they way I am planning this....there shouldnt be anything too home build looking about this. I plan on doing a good job with it.

I can't tell you how many school bus conversions I have seen around... still yellow with raw construction grade wood on the interior... if they can get insurance....Im not worried.
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-07-2010

My propane tank is in front of the black tank behind a unlocked door. Access is a snap. I sanded and painted mine. Easily maintained. It is isolated from the interior.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 10-07-2010
Forum owner

Homebuilt.
Hmm.maybe not the best choice of words.
I didnt mean to imply it would look homebuilt.
Just wondering how the insurance will look at it?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Before i installed any propane devices i would contact my insurance company to see if they will insure a coach with a home built interior and equipped with a propane tank and fixtures.
Lots of companys that convert coachs do not install propane because of insurance problems.(or so I have read).

Do you have a title for the bus?

Stephen,none of the propane tanks in the WB's are assessable
They are all sealed behind a panel in the bays..

Just doing some requotation from a gas fiitter with 30 years experience

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact