Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 10-20-2010

Question WHICH GPS TO BUY?

Howdy.
I want to purchase a GPS but I don't know which brand to buy. Which GPS do you have? Recommendations and suggestions will be appreciated.

TIA,
Liz
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 10-20-2010

You are talking about for on road use correct? For hiking, kayaking etc, it is a differerent type of GPS.

For on road use, we really like the Garmin Nuvi series. It is user friendly ,and intuitive. It takes a bit to learn to use all the features, but easier than most others.

The Nuvi 465T has features in the software for big rigs, but no external antenna port and that killed it as a choice for me. On our Birds with the distance from the windshield to have it where you can reach it, and the steel roofs - you NEED an external antenna port.

We chose the Nuvi 755T with external antenna port last year to replace our older garmin Street pilot 330. It is now a discontinued product, so I'd either find one still in stcok heavily discounted, or find the recommended replacement. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=14933

The 755 has things like fm traffic ahead warnings, lane assist that shows you which lane to get into for upcoming freeway interchanges, and is easy to use.

We move it from coach to car. You can pop it out of it's cradle when you park your car, and take it with you. It remembers where you pulled it from the cradle, so as you walk back to your car you can turn it on and use it to find the car - nice in strange cities.

I recommend accesories like this:
Portable friction mount - easier to move coach to car and back: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=63953

Antenna: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...3#accessoryTab (I use the magnetic roof antenna in the coach, none in the toad)

Read this review to learn more: http://gpsmagazine.com/2009/01/garmi...55t_review.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandLiz View Post
Howdy.
I want to purchase a GPS but I don't know which brand to buy. Which GPS do you have? Recommendations and suggestions will be appreciated.

TIA,
Liz
Old 10-20-2010
95 WB 42

Jack

My wife just bought a Magellan Roadmate I was against it at first----now
WOW it really gets the job done and it has a 7" screen,I can see it.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 10-20-2010

I have a NUVI 350 by Garmin and a Magellan1440. The Magellan has lane assist ( tells you what lane to be in via what look like overhead highway signs) which is very helpful in the cities when towing. The Magellan also lists AAA, and other campsites, while the Garmin doesn't. The Garmin is smaller, while the Magellan is a wider view.
My experience is a little different than Dan's in that I have never needed an external antenna.
Hope this helps.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 10-20-2010

We have a Nuvi 765.

Pro- small, easy to move from vehicle to vehicle, relatively intuitive to use, have not needed an external antenna in any vehicle/situation

Con- is routinely wrong, doesn't have large vehicle capbilities, the touch screen is just "good" enough to drive you crazy (push one letter/option and get another), there's no home feature- you routinely have to go back through several screens to get to the home page

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 10-20-2010
Former Bird Owner

I had a Magellan Road Mate (purchased based on a Consumer's Reports recommendation). It was fine until I needed to update the maps. When I went to order the maps, I was treated like a thief and had to provide serial numbers numerous times to place the order. (Who's going to order the maps if they don't have a compatible GPS?)

Then when the map CD arrived, there was another complex bunch of hoops to jump thorugh, entering the serial number, etc. The map CD was Windows only, so I had to go several miles to a friend with a suitable PC to use to load the update. Guess what, 4 screens into the #$@!%! update process, it asks for a "receipt number" that was on the confirming email when I bought the #%#%# upgrade CD. I had a 32 mile round trip to retrieve the receipt since I had no expectation that it would be requested.

I will never own another Magellan (I sold it along with my coach) and I will never recommend that anyone ever buy a Magellan product.

I've heard good things about Garmin and Tom Tom. The Garmin Nuvi models seem to get excellent reviews. Get anything but a Magellan.

If you have a Mac, double check computer compatibility -- several of the Garmin models work with Mac and Windows computers. It's not always convenient to "borrow" a friend's computer if you need to update the maps (not a bad idea every year or so).

In general, when using a GPS in your coach (or auto), it's wise to check the suggested routes against _both_ Google Maps and Mapquest. (The online maps are sometimes wrong, too.)

At one time, we were just east of San Antonio -- and asked the GPS to select a route to Denver. It suggested driving to EL Paso, then turning north. Double checked the parameters in the GPS -- there was nothing causing a restriction of route -- and it STILL wanted me to drive hundreds of miles out of the way via El Paso to get from (near) San Antonio to Denver.

Using Google Maps, we eventually took US 287/I-27 via Lubbock Tx and Lamar CO. The GPS kept telling us to "make a legal U-Turn at the next opportunity" for about 100 miles.... before it finally figured out the route we were taking.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 10-20-2010
Skidder

Default Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Quote:
Howdy.

TIA,
Liz
Check out the new Cobra 7750, which is the newer model from the 7700. Pricey, however, really a great unit. You might still also be able to get a good price on the Cobra 7700 which this unit just recently replaced.

Wannabee
Old 10-20-2010

Keep in mind these things are improved all the time. I've had a couple and I don't even remember which ones. Actually right now I had a GPS ap added to my "I" phone and I believe it's the best one yet that I have used. Find one that doesn't require a complete address. It makes me mad when you want to go to Houston and the darned thing insists that you provide a street address before it will compute. Some of them are not intuitive at all. I had one that wouldn't even compute from your current location. Heck if you're lost you don't know where you are, you just know where you want to go. Another thing to consider is that it's hard to hear over the noise in the bus and especially it your hearing isn't 100%. It's helpful if you can plug in an ear phone or make some arrangements to connect to amplification.

I just got a new netbook and I've installed streets and trips. I don't find streets and trips to be that great of a GPS but it does have (with the addition of the Discovery Owners POI program very helpful information for RV owners.

In the end I've found you can't entirely trust the GPS either. I too have had situations where I thought you have to be kidding on directions. Also if you are extremely close to your turn it can get confusing. Do you turn right now or 25 ft down the road. If you can see the screen you can tell but the voice directions some time can get you into trouble. What it takes is a good co-pilot and they are hard to come by some times. Mine likes to sleep and read rather then helping the old man. What's fellow to do???

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-20-2010
cmillsap

Well, we've used GPS in several different ways. If you like a big screen and carry a laptop computer, then a Garmin NRoute program works pretty well and it's cheap. We also have a Garmin Roadmate stuck to the driver's overhead cabinet which I use very little. We mostly use the gps function on Tela's Droid cell phone. I prefer this because I don't have to be distracted by watching or listening to the directions as she just looks at her phone and tells me which way to go. We also have an expensive GPS system in our car which we don't use much any more as we just prefer to use the cell phone GPS. Cell phones are not just a phone anymore. They are a multi-tasking marvel. We use the Droid hooked to a laptop for internet service and email. Information (such as contacts and appointments) is easily downloaded from/to our home computers to/from the Droid.

Chuck
Old 10-20-2010

Quote:
Howdy.

TIA,
Liz
I had a Magellan and had all the problems others spoke of....and more

I just bought a Garmin nu vi 255W, in West Virginia and it guided me home to St Louis 960 mi driving alone.
Never one wrong turn or bad route...
Gives plenty of time for lane changes........

It had a speed limit feature I liked... it shows the speed limit on the road your traveling within 10 feet of the sign!
It tells you how far your next turn is and will find traffic that effects your route and let you know so you can reroute if you want.
It will also show you traffic around you. It will give you an idea what roads get bad at what times without being a part of it.
It has a home feature.
It will find parks,campgrounds storefronts...ANYTHING!
Type in an address....
One of the screens has trip computer that has a large display of how fast you are going... easier to see than the dash speedo....

Works in an all steel BB... I keep mine on the windshield right at dash level
can reach it and see everything

Under $150 bucks