Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 10-21-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Chuck,

I can't believe my eyes... Are you saying that you get unlimited data for a onetime payment of $30.00, not a monthly payment, just one a onetime payment?
Sorry, David,

Don't both you and I wish that were true???
I meant the PDANet application/program costs $30 for unlimited access. No, you still gotts pay your phone company for the internet package. But I did read sometime back on a forum thread where the poster had said he could use PDANet only without needing the phone company's internet package.
I was surprised to read that and have not had the opportunity to see if it would work or not. I'll try to find that thread and we can both ask him how that works.

Chuck
Old 10-21-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmillsap View Post
Sorry, David,

Don't both you and I wish that were true???
Chuck
Definitely too good to be true, and if it were true, it wouldn't last long.
Old 10-21-2010
cmillsap

David,

Let me clarify that a little better. If my memory serves me right, I think the guy said you need the internet service on your cell phone initally to download the PDANet application, once that ap was downloaded you could access the internet through it and no longer need the phone company's package? I don't know if that will will work or not???

Here's the thread. see post #6. I think he is saying that Verizon wants another $25 if you are going to use the PDANet ap.
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ghlight=PDANet

Sorry, Jack and Liz, for getting your thread off subject......

Chuck

Last edited by cmillsap; 10-21-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-21-2010

I am not sure how it works for all phones, but with Windows Mobile phones you download the PDAnet app to the phone from your computer using ActiveSync. You will need to have a data plan with your phone, but PDAnet makes tethering about as simple as it can get.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 10-21-2010
Black Sheep Division

PDAnet works with Palms also. I have the unlimited access internet package on all our Plam Centros & I connect them to the laptops when ever I need internet. Works fine & is faster than WiFi sometimes.

TOM
Old 10-21-2010

Personally, I am installing a dash mounted Navigation AV system.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ms/AVIC-Z110BT

There are a few different models, and this link above is the top of the line.
They are a lot more expensive than just a regular little gps that you stick on your window, but these things are also a full entertainment system, and really, it is like a little computer.
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-21-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morefire View Post
Personally, I am installing a dash mounted Navigation AV system.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ms/AVIC-Z110BT

There are a few different models, and this link above is the top of the line.
They are a lot more expensive than just a regular little gps that you stick on your window, but these things are also a full entertainment system, and really, it is like a little computer.
David,

I use the Alpine Powernav NVE-N852A with an Alpine IVA-D106 head end which has a 7" flip up touch screen. I love it. The GPS is spot on with great resolution and current maps (it does lack true trucking capabilities: bridge height, weight restrictions, etc). The separate Powernav houses the map DVD's which allows me to play CD/DVD's while also navigating. I run a separate Fosgate power amp for the subwoofer.
Old 10-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
David,

I use the Alpine Powernav NVE-N852A with an Alpine IVA-D106 head end which has a 7" flip up touch screen. I love it. The GPS is spot on with great resolution and current maps (it does lack true trucking capabilities: bridge height, weight restrictions, etc). The separate Powernav houses the map DVD's which allows me to play CD/DVD's while also navigating. I run a separate Fosgate power amp for the subwoofer.

Nice! I wasn't sure anyone on this forum would have been into sound systems, so I didnt mention mine yet. But I have a full ZAPCO system going in...including: 1x Zapco 9.0 sub amp 1x Zapco 4.0 4ch amp, and 4x zapco competition 6" mid's with tweeters. 1x JL 1500watt 13" sub.
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-21-2010
Former Bird Owner

Note that a GPS program can sometimes be remarkably stupid -- or, at least, rather unhelpful.

At times, I've had the GPS voice tell me turn by turn how to get through a simple intersection with very obvious signage. Yet, on freeway interchanges in Dallas-Ft. Worth, and in Tulsa, OK, it would announce an instruction as you enter an interchange, then remain dead silent as you must navigate past a half-dozen signs and road splits. Fortunately, my internal "Gut Positioning System" got me through, no thanks to "the voice in the box."

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com