Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2010

Default Foretravel vs Bluebirds

Why Bluebird over a Foretravel? Specifically looking at 1998/ 2001 BB's and 2001/2003 Foretravel's.

I have looked at and driven many Foretravel coach's. They have a loyal following and generally a quality product. Their ride/handling is one of their main selling points and since I have only driven one BB, a 1998 LX, I need some help comparing the two brands handling.

Are build qualities comparable in your judgement?

Thanks
Steve
Old 11-04-2010
davidmbrady

Go to the Foretravel yahoo group and do a search on bulkhead separation (or just google it) - rust jacking is implicated, and this is still the case for otherwise "rust-free" coaches. The area gets wet from the fresh water tank overflow and retains water, (see: http://www.beamalarm.com/Documents/b...separation.htm). They've also had problems with fiberglass sidewall delamination, (talk to Xtreme Graphics, http://www.xtremegraphics.net/index.html, they've fixed a bunch). In addition, they've also had problems with their thermo-pane windows made by a now defunct company named Creation Windows. These problems exist in the model years that you're looking at. They are lighter than a BB - handling, ride, acceleration, and braking are good, but they lack that bus feel - I drove a late model Phenix. Another problem is the price. They're priced way above similarly equipped Monaco's. My feeling is that Foretravel is a slight notch above the other plastic coaches. I say this cause their interior work and exterior paint are above average. They have a hugely loyal following and they do a good job of keeping the deficiencies in the family. On this forum, we publish all of the shortcomings of all models of Wanderlodges. Many different issues exist, but I've never heard of a Wanderlodge's frame separating. Wanderlodges have an unbreakable feel about them. This kind of structural integrity trumps ride and handling. In short, I don't think build qualities are comparable.

Last edited by davidmbrady; 11-07-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-04-2010

Yeah...but Foretravels still in biz.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 11-04-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
Yeah...but Foretravels still in biz.
You do have a point; however, I've noticed that their factory isn't stepping up to the plate to address the issues. Owners are implementing "fixes" on their own. Foretravel recently entered the horse trailer business (Nobody's selling new motorhomes these days, at this price level).
Old 11-05-2010

One of the issues I had with Foretravels is they have rubber roofs. I don't like rubber roofs.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 11-05-2010

A friend owned a early 90's, I realize not the vintage you asked about, but I will give you my thoughts on it. 10,000lbs lighter than the comparable SP that seemed to be achieved by using thin wall steel box tube for bays, hollow core doors and walls and lots of fiberglass. The 250 CAT moved it along pretty well, though. Not a bad coach, but it definitely had a "motorhome" feel instead of that big, heavy bus feel. Lack of chassis heat, one gas furnace and so on.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 11-05-2010

I traded my Gran Villa in on my first bird~ Dave Hollis has that coach. Still looks great.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 11-05-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Ekberg View Post
I traded my Gran Villa in on my first bird~ Dave Hollis has that coach. Still looks great.
Ernie did you get time to visit the 84 FC???, I agree it still looks great
Old 11-05-2010

Foretravels are built lower. The head room is less and the bay area height is less as well. My 99LX had a clearance height of 12'6". I beleive Foretravels are less. It was a company objective to make them lower and lighter.
"Dream Catcher"
Old 11-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Ernie did you get time to visit the 84 FC???, I agree it still looks great
I did, and got to meet David for the first time. He has a nice coach and wish I still had it
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Closed Thread