Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-23-2015
Gardner

Default Cruise speed sensor

I finally crawled under the bus and traced the wires for the speed sensor for the Cruise control. Imagine my surprise when I found a sensor at the left rear ( drivers side) brake drum. I have always said you don't need the notched drum on the left side and now I find that I did. Since I replaced the drum with a standard one there are no notches and no cruise signal.

So I tapped into the speedometer sensor (same type) and we will see next time I take it for a ride. I also changed the pressure control valve in the cruise unit. I spent hours trying to get the compression fittings back on, I don't ever want to do that again.

I also had to open the upper dash to determine the wires on the spedo, and found that Chap was right, the screw holding the left side of the upper dash is at an angle and you must remove the accessory switch to access it. Not all FC's have it done that way, but there is no other way to get to it on mine because the switch body blocks the screw, you must pull the switch out.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-24-2015
Gardner

Well that was a bust, still no cruise. It does do the fast idle which according to the book means the unit is OK. Before it would cut out the fast idle if it saw anything on the speed sensor, now it stays on meaning there is no signal at all. I assume there was a little noise from the sender and the smooth drum that caused it to cut out. Guess I picked the wrong point to connect on the spedo.

Back to the drawing board

I would hate to spend 600+ on a new cruise and find I have no useable speed signal. So I guess I need to do more research and trace the spedo sensor wires.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-25-2015
Gardner

I tried both connections on the spedo and neither worked, but the spedo does. I guess I am at a dead end. I know Shane's coach uses the same sender for spedo and cruise, so what am I missing?
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-25-2015

Could you re mount the cruise speed sensor so it reads the same drum as the speedometer sensor?

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 05-25-2015
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTW1086@cox.net View Post
Could you re mount the cruise speed sensor so it reads the same drum as the speedometer sensor?
I considered figuring a way to mount it with a clamp of some sort to the current spedo sensor, but I don't want to crush the threads on the current one making it impossible to get out if it fails. It needs to be a real solid mount as it must be close to the drum but never hit it under all sorts of vibration.
Ridgewood, New Jersey