Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 12-23-2009

Lightbulb Got Bird-Bug? Prospective Full-Timer Makes First Intimations

At age 1-2, I fell out of one of my father's first FC Birds. That was 1989. 20 years later, I am 21, nearly out of college, and am still drawn to those rolling fortresses where my childhood took place. My father is member 'bennett' and currently owns a WLWB40 (F44557).

Without too much fluff or excited rambling; I will be concise: I'd like to purchase a Wanderlodge and spend a year as a full-timer traveling the continental US. Roughly speaking, I'd like to leave in the spring of 2011 and head north while the weather is warm; head west across the Great Lakes, then down the west coast and eventually back east.
Born in Raleigh, North Carolina; I have been west to Asheville (once or twice), flew into New York once on my way to study abroad in Spain and I have visited a boarding school room mate in his home in the Bahamas. In other words, most of my traveling has been from inside a BlueBird, somewhere along the east coast; either going to a North Carolina beach or headed south to the Keys. Very romantically, driven by a youthful lust for excitment; I'd like to attempt this journey (beginning with exploring its planning/criteria). This thread is my first attempt at advice outside the seemingly endless wisdom of my father (haha), whose passion for the Wanderlodge has filled him with happiness in the best times, carried him in the hard times and filled a family's life to the brim.
The "Keys-disease" is what he called it, after hearing the term at Lore-lei's or Papa Joe's somewhere in the Fla. keys. For years, one of my father's Birds sported a tag that read "KEASDZ" (taking the first four letters of our last name: keasler). I'm not sure if the 'keys-disease' is what I have; though it may be a chronic condition that is simply in remission, but I have certainly inherited the "Bird-Bug". So here, I am.

Any advice, relevant stories, tips are all welcome and appreciated. Topics my father and I fill bourbon glasses with include:
What coach I ought to aim for?
What routes? what time of year?
Events not to be missed in varied areas of the country?
And anything the like,
This will be an ongoing discussion/preparation. I have this spring semester, summer and fall semester still left as an undergraduate at the College of Charleston. I'm planning my 'escape' for shortly following my graduation. Safe Travels.

Cheers-

Joe Keasler-WannaBe-WanderWhy
Charleston, South Carolina
"See you all, further on up the road..."

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -B. Dylan

"You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." -J. Garcia

"If life is ultimately a journey to the middle, it ought to include a thorough exploration of each of its extremes." -Me
Old 12-23-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum, one of the things you can do to broaden your knowledge about the Wanderlodge Wandering disease is to attend a rally and there are two of them very close to you that will be held this coming spring check out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Rallies, Shows, and Organized Events > 2010 Hot Rod Magazine - Maxton - Bluebird Mini-Rally

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Rallies, Shows, and Organized Events > 2010 'Bird's At The Beach Rally (Myrtle Beach)

That way you can get a closer look at a wide variety of 'Birds and we all like to show them off to prospective 'Bird owners. I live just up the road a piece, outside of Columbia and we have numerous owners that live throughout the Carolinas. I am however currently traveling on the west coast in Palm Desert, CA.

If you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask. How about posting any old pictures of you and your Dad's 'Bird if you have any. I like to feel that I have the Keys-disease but not necessarily the Florida Keys although I have spent plenty of time down there, but rather the Ignition Keys, sure like to twist those and head on down the highway, like I'm doing right now.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-23-2009

Welcome to the site! If you have the ability to take a quick trip to Quartzsite, AZ the middle of January, you'll be able to see virtually every style and configuration of bird made. There's going to be over 100 coaches there this year. That would be a great spot to narrow your coach preferences down.

Sounds like you've got the start of a great adventure planned. It's a great country to see.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support