Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 07-14-2018

Default Wanderlodge Virgins

Hello! We have owned a fifth wheel and now a pull-behind but never a motorized camper. Actually, until about two weeks ago, we had never heard of Wanderlodge. My husband came across an ad for a 1983 Wanderlodge and it really piqued our interest. We had discussed getting a Diesel engine camper when we retired but the prices are really cha-ching! Plus we have a newer Ram diesel truck with all the new emissions junk and have had the emissions stuff repaired once already. The idea of the cat engine is really appealing since it doesn’t have all that stuff.

We went to look at the RV today and after delving into past wanderlodge’s for sale on this site, I am concerned it might be overpriced. I was hoping some of you more educated owners might offer some advice.

The posting states it has been on some lengthy road trips recently, so I think the engine is probably ok. It has 250k miles on it. It is 35’ long with the engine in front. The paint job is pretty rough with a few rust patches. One of the windows in the bedroom is broken, the ladder is completely rusted through at the bottom, one of the rear tail lights is broken, one of the hinges where you pull out the engine is rusted through and held with a zip tie, latches are broken on two interior doors, the headlights seem to be hit and miss if they will work and several other miscellaneous items.

I think we could fix most of the issues but I am concerned about finding replacement parts for some items. The current owners are asking $25k.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Richard and Tessa
Edgefield, SC
Old 07-14-2018

The rust is a red light, IMO. If you can see all these problems from the first look, there are probably plenty of others hiding, just waiting to jump out at you if you buy it. Sounds like the present owner isn't taking care of her.

Go to Randy's website, he won't steer you wrong, & the stuff he sells, he knows about.

Good luck!
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 07-14-2018
Forum owner

I think you can do better.
Buy the best coach you can with the money you have.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-14-2018
Forum owner

Also,be ready to buy,good coachs sell fast,have your money in hand.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-14-2018
RV Appraiser

We were all virgins at one time, good luck and the right bird will come along.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 07-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard & Tessa View Post
Hello! We have owned a fifth wheel and now a pull-behind but never a motorized camper. Actually, until about two weeks ago, we had never heard of Wanderlodge. My husband came across an ad for a 1983 Wanderlodge and it really piqued our interest. We had discussed getting a Diesel engine camper when we retired but the prices are really cha-ching! Plus we have a newer Ram diesel truck with all the new emissions junk and have had the emissions stuff repaired once already. The idea of the cat engine is really appealing since it doesn’t have all that stuff.

We went to look at the RV today and after delving into past wanderlodge’s for sale on this site, I am concerned it might be overpriced. I was hoping some of you more educated owners might offer some advice.

The posting states it has been on some lengthy road trips recently, so I think the engine is probably ok. It has 250k miles on it. It is 35’ long with the engine in front. The paint job is pretty rough with a few rust patches. One of the windows in the bedroom is broken, the ladder is completely rusted through at the bottom, one of the rear tail lights is broken, one of the hinges where you pull out the engine is rusted through and held with a zip tie, latches are broken on two interior doors, the headlights seem to be hit and miss if they will work and several other miscellaneous items.

I think we could fix most of the issues but I am concerned about finding replacement parts for some items. The current owners are asking $25k.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Richard and Tessa
Edgefield, SC
From what you have listed as needing attention, I would agree its overpriced.

Randy might have something in his pocket that isnt listed. Give him a call at Buy Bye Blue Bird.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 07-14-2018

yep get acquainted with randy he will be a help in your search,,, he has helped me and many others
and
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 07-14-2018

Default Thank you!

Thanks to all of you for the great advice My gut was telling me the same thing but my heart was saying “Buy! Buy!” Sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else.

Good news is that we’ve discovered a cool option for our future RV! These vintage Wanderlodges are seriously AWESOME!

Richard and Tessa
Edgefield, SC
Old 07-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard & Tessa View Post
Thanks to all of you for the great advice My gut was telling me the same thing but my heart was saying “Buy! Buy!” Sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else.

Good news is that we’ve discovered a cool option for our future RV! These vintage Wanderlodges are seriously AWESOME!

Richard and Tessa
Edgefield, SC
Welcome to the group and I think you made the right decision of passing on this one. If you have never even heard of a Wanderlodge before two weeks ago, I would suggest you take your time and learn more about them. Unless your situation doesn't allow you time, it would be smart to look at the various different styles. Sounds like your budget is most likely an FC, but even the FC has some differences. Until you know these differences and understand their advantages and disadvantages, you should buy yet. You may kick yourself later when you see an FC that may suit your needs better. Plus your budget may be higher than what I think and a PT, BMC, or even a WB might fit your budget. Lots of options for you. Just my thoughts. Best of luck in your search.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME 2020 to Present
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278