Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 12-15-2017

Have you seen any detailed specs for the ELX-500-12B? I'd be interested in comparing its RPM and dBA levels to other 12V fans.
Old 12-15-2017

Thanks for the sizing info! Hopefully they are quiet, the heat exchanger in my kitchen area is extremely loud. Lucky for me, ones in my bedroom are very quiet.

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 12-15-2017

I don't think they put out much information about these fans, as they're not a big ticket item for Aqua-Hot. I just ordered the fans, but I went through Roger Burke's site, as he has them listed in his store. The cost for two fans, with shipping, came to $60.00. I called Aqua-Hot, but was put on hold for too long. I wanted to use them, as they are close to me, as located in Colorado, but Roger's place is out of South Dakota, so not too much further. If you don't know who Roger is, look him up, as he's a Aqua-Hot god, if such a thing exists. His prices are about the same as what the Aqua-Hot company charges. Here's the link for the fans.
http://www.parts.rvhydronicheaterrep...angers_c13.htm
Old 12-26-2017

So I received the ELX-500-12B fans in today, and they are a perfect fit, as far as holes lining up and fitting the opening that is there. The only difference is the depth, which is not a problem, as the fan is just shallower. Putting in the fans is not a quick job, as it should be. The problem stems from the fact that the engineering, as far as mounting the fans was a little screwed up. In stead of using machine screws, they used a screw and nut setup which entails removing seven screws to get the entire top panel off of the fan unit and then using a Philips screw driver from the underside of that panel to loosen the screws from the nuts. When that is all done, merely cut the wires going to the old fans, one fan at a time, so you don't mess up the wires, as far as where they go, reconnecting the wires using 20 gauge wire nuts and securing the new fans back to the heater core housing. In order to do all of this it will be necessary to remove the 3 screws that secure the heater core housing to the wood floor. Get about 6 small wire ties as you will need them to secure the wiring once all hooked up. If the correct machine screws would have been used, it would have been about a 20 minute job, but in stead it took just over an hour. Due to the time involved, I replaced both fans, even though only one was bad. I have attached a picture of the old fan. As you can see it was made in New York or Canada. Unfortunately the new fans are made in Nam. I don't like buying things made there, but unfortunately I had no say in it. Sucks! The new fans are made by NIDEC Servo Corp with a model number of CUDC12B7 and they are a 12 Volt fan rated at .28A for a total of 3.4 watts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater Fan Original.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	53061  
Old 12-26-2017

So are the fans quiet? I have a couple of units that practically scream with the fans on.

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 12-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by alustiza View Post
So I received the ELX-500-12B fans in today, and they are a perfect fit, as far as holes lining up and fitting the opening that is there. The only difference is the depth, which is not a problem, as the fan is just shallower. Putting in the fans is not a quick job, as it should be. The problem stems from the fact that the engineering, as far as mounting the fans was a little screwed up. In stead of using machine screws, they used a screw and nut setup which entails removing seven screws to get the entire top panel off of the fan unit and then using a Philips screw driver from the underside of that panel to loosen the screws from the nuts. When that is all done, merely cut the wires going to the old fans, one fan at a time, so you don't mess up the wires, as far as where they go, reconnecting the wires using 20 gauge wire nuts and securing the new fans back to the heater core housing. In order to do all of this it will be necessary to remove the 3 screws that secure the heater core housing to the wood floor. Get about 6 small wire ties as you will need them to secure the wiring once all hooked up. If the correct machine screws would have been used, it would have been about a 20 minute job, but in stead it took just over an hour. Due to the time involved, I replaced both fans, even though only one was bad. I have attached a picture of the old fan. As you can see it was made in New York or Canada. Unfortunately the new fans are made in Nam. I don't like buying things made there, but unfortunately I had no say in it. Sucks! The new fans are made by NIDEC Servo Corp with a model number of CUDC12B7 and they are a 12 Volt fan rated at .28A for a total of 3.4 watts.
Wire nuts?
I read somewhere that motor vehicles should not use wire nuts and that crimp connectors are preferred. Makes sense with all the vibration.

Keirn Rush, Carolyn Rush
and Mike the Wanderdog.
New Bern, North Carolina
keirn@keirnrush.com
252-249-2628
95 BMC 37
Old 12-26-2017

Brian,
In answer to your question regarding sound, they put out a tad bit less noise, but they are not whisper.
Keirn,
As to the wire nuts, there is no vibration, and the wires are so thin I do not think crimp connectors would have held, at least I did not have any that would work. I used the wire ties to secure the wires in place. Also this is not really an automotive application, as it's an enclosed area where the heater is located.
Old 12-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by alustiza View Post
I have attached a picture of the old fan. As you can see it was made in New York or Canada. Unfortunately the new fans are made in Nam. I don't like buying things made there, but unfortunately I had no say in it. Sucks! The new fans are made by NIDEC Servo Corp with a model number of CUDC12B7 and they are a 12 Volt fan rated at .28A for a total of 3.4 watts.

North York Ontario is a suburb of Toronto

Email stephenbirtles@hotmail.com
Telephone 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 10-17-2019

I know this thread it a couple of years old, but thought I would chime in.
did anyone find a super quiet fan that fits?
I found a speed control in the kitchen and the bathroom to slow them down and quiet them a little. Does anyone else have these? I think I will add one in the living room under the couch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_160008[1].jpg
Views:	49
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	64722