Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 10-17-2012
NEWBY

Default We need help!

Hi,

We are looking for a starter bluebird...if there is such a thing. We have only ever tent camped and now actively looking at these Wanderlodges because of the quality and safety. I think we may have found a good buy, but need help deciding if it is true. We went to view it on Monday. My honey crawled under it, over it, through it and found no leaks, rust, water damage or any other signs of issues. The coach does need new tires and has a sun faded paint job. The generator only has 12 hours on it and the engine shows 55,000K. It started right up. We didn't take it for a spin as it was being shown by the owner's friend and that made him nervous as he had never driven it before. We know we need to drive it or at least have them do so. They have told us that there is a short in the generator to the air conditioner (??) They are asking 44K for the bus. I asked for service records on the unit. Can someone let us know who to contact in Palm Springs or elsewhere for an inspection? What else do we need to do? (help, help) Only two previous owners, Dan Kelly and before that Ted Lennon.

This is the link to the craigslist ad

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/3325406059.html

Thanks!

Susan
Old 10-17-2012
RV Appraiser

Sounds like it might be a good enough buy but even an absoulte creampuff will need something. Even though 55K miles sounds like low mileage it could have as much mechanical issues as a bird with over 250K; sitting idle is not good. Rubber & cork gaskets and seals deterioate quickly from lack of use, so you will most likely need new belts, hoses and tires as well and that alone could add up to 3 - 5 grand depending on your flavor of tires. The levelier seals, air bags, axle seals all need use or will break down over time. So there is more to a good bird than just looking good with low miles. Some sellers think low mileage is an advantage, because of the low miles there was low maintence requirements but as an owner of a former garage queen I have learned the hard way or should I say the hard pay, a garage queen may not be the best bargain. Lack of use and the lack of a routine preventitive maintenance program may not be a good thing. Have it checked out, having a bird owner look at it is better than going at it blindly, but you will need a professional mechanic to check the brake lines, air chambers, all the belts and hoses, check and change all the fluids and even after all of that you may have some issue raise their ugly head several months down the road. It all depends on your goals and objectives, is this a life long committment then go for it, but if this is a short term dream fulfillment, seriously think it over before you get in to deep. I don't mean to be discouraging I just gave you a dose of reality. There should be plenty of folk in the area to give you a hand to look at it. The price sounds right and you should count on spending 10 grand or more on the bird in a year or two to get it really back into tip top shape. Whatever skills you have to assist in maintaining the bird will be an advantage and savings to you. OTR Appraisals
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Last edited by birds_first; 10-17-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-17-2012

Need more information. Is the coach a PT, SP, ?? Any photos? Sellers last name? Someone(s) on this forum might know the coach. I believe I'm about 100 miles from that coach.

2000 LX40 Millennium Limited Edition #4 of 6
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" SOLD
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 10-17-2012
NEWBY

Default 1991 bluebird pictures

Hi,

Here is a link to the pictures provided by the seller. it is the 36' coach....just the right size...I'm afraid I don't know the difference between PT and SP. By the way, Dave and I are nearing retirement and, living in Arizona, feel we would use this bus during the hot months to escape. I can work from anywhere and Dave is a retired carpenter.

Thanks for looking and any assistance.

Susan

https://picasaweb.google.com/1073143...eat=directlink
Old 10-17-2012

Susan,
The coach is an SP36. By the looks of the photos it looks clean, and in good to great shape considering its age. I do agree with John M. and Curt S. about the money that will need to be invested after a purchase to make it roadworthy, comfortable and correct. Supposedly this coach hasn't been driven more than a 1000 miles in the last 5 years per Randy (guy showing it).

I recently purchased a 1989 FC35 this summer and love it and get compliments wherever I go. I priced tires today and they were $682 ea. for the Michellin's down to $485 ea. for the Hankooks, not including taxes and mounting fees.

I've attached a link to another site that has additional info regarding the Wanderlodges, plus there is a buyers checklist for newbies. I'm in San Diego and also about 100 miles from the coach.

Additionally, Jan 2013 there is a get together in Quartzsite, AZ where there will be many Bluebirds in attendance and the folks will be more than happy to show you their different coaches to really get a feel for what is available in the different models. Good luck on your search and if there is anything I can help you with, please let me know.

http://www.vintagebirds.com/
Old 10-17-2012

You have come to the right place! We are looking at Birds in this age bracket also. Do lots of searches on the subject on this forum and you will learn a ton! We have had 3 other coaches and lived full-time for 13 years in them, I STILL learned a lot from this forum about BBs!
Old 10-17-2012

Is that wall paper inside or is it some sort of brushed aluminium wall covering?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 10-17-2012
NEWBY

Default 1991 bluebird...wall covering

My honey thought it was some type of formica...we both thought it was ugly.

Susan
Old 10-18-2012

Here's another SP36 thats local to me in San Diego and is priced under $30K

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/rvs/3345690967.html
Old 10-18-2012
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcrazy View Post
Hi,

Here is a link to the pictures provided by the seller. it is the 36' coach....just the right size...I'm afraid I don't know the difference between PT and SP. By the way, Dave and I are nearing retirement and, living in Arizona, feel we would use this bus during the hot months to escape. I can work from anywhere and Dave is a retired carpenter.

Thanks for looking and any assistance.

Susan

https://picasaweb.google.com/1073143...eat=directlink

Susan,

Bookmark this thread for future use, it covers the model deignations and other useful terms used on WOG. Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > How to use the Forum Features > Abbreviations and Acronyms, Using Them In Your Posted Messages And What They Mean

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11