Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 07-28-2019

Default New owner with some Q's

New to us '99 LX. 40'

How does the water heater work?
If I turn off master power will all batteries still charge while shore power plugged in?
Capacity of the factory tow hitch?
What does the aqua hot heat?
I assume the propane tank master with is on when in the up position.

I have some of the original paperwork in the the box, but these issues don't appear or I don't understand.

Its 114 degrees in Maricopa right now so even painfully slow typing is beating out crawling underneath.

Thanks for now, Mark
1986 Newell 40
1999 LX 40
Old 07-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little View Post
New to us '99 LX. 40'

How does the water heater work?
If I turn off master power will all batteries still charge while shore power plugged in?
Capacity of the factory tow hitch?
What does the aqua hot heat?
I assume the propane tank master with is on when in the up position.

I have some of the original paperwork in the the box, but these issues don't appear or I don't understand.

Its 114 degrees in Maricopa right now so even painfully slow typing is beating out crawling underneath.

Thanks for now, Mark
You have a 1500 watt elect element in the Aqua Hot for AC heating. When you turn on the Aqua Hot the Burner heats the water. When you run down the road, the engine heats the water.

Mine will still charge. The master turns off the DC power not the AC

10, 000 tow and 1000 tongue weight.

The Aqua Hot will heat the engine, the interior of the coach, the bays of the coach and supply you with domestic hot water.

We use so little LPG I cant recall which way the switch is for on. Try lighting a stove top burner then check the switch.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 07-28-2019

Thank you.

Is the AquaHot diesel fired or propane?
Do I need to turn breaker to water heater off while plugged in with no water? I would assume yes.

Friends have aqua hot and its diesel only.

Systems on this one are more complex than on the 86 Newell.

Partial to the M11 in the Bluebird over the 8V92 but the Detroit seems to have more power. I assume the Bluebird is somewhat heavier. Stopped in Kingman to weigh but scale was out of service. What would the LX40 weigh??

Came down 93 from Vegas in 115 degree heat pulling a 7000 lb toad and temp stayed near the 180 all day.

Anyway, thanks for response. Learning as we go. Mark

Tried the stove both ways yesterday. Nothing, so propane gauge must be ***. or the valve/switch might also be pooched. Ill fill the tank and go from there.
1986 Newell 40
1999 LX 40
Old 07-28-2019

On the LPG, there are more switches for propane, at least on mine all must be "on". Look near where you fill it, also under counter near tank level indicator, and the alarm near your toes when at the stove, which should chirp a few times when activated.

Then try the stove.

Randy & Deborah Turner
'97 WLWB 43'
"horizons..."

Travel Blog
Old 07-29-2019

Is the AquaHot diesel fired or propane?
Diesel. Coach's fuel tank must be greater 1/4 full.

Do I need to turn breaker to water heater off while plugged in with no water? I would assume yes.
No, it's not required as long as the AH unit is filled with proper coolant. The alternating current heating element heats the AquaHot's coolant, which in turn heats your house water. (Personally, I use the AH diesel burner for heat and hot water due to its efficiency.)

Partial to the M11 in the Bluebird over the 8V92 but the Detroit seems to have more power. I assume the Bluebird is somewhat heavier. Stopped in Kingman to weigh but scale was out of service. What would the LX40 weigh??
Behind my center panel above the dash is listed Unoccupied Vehicle Weight of 41,436 lbs.

Came down 93 from Vegas in 115 degree heat pulling a 7000 lb toad and temp stayed near the 180 all day.
My 2000 LX runs at 175-180* F as well.

Tried the stove both ways yesterday. Nothing, so propane gauge must be ***. or the valve/switch might also be pooched. Ill fill the tank and go from there.
Sounds like either no propane or the propane tank's gas valve solenoid is not energized.
Old 07-29-2019
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little View Post

On the ground directly under the cook top (its in the toe kick area under the cabinet), there is a propane sensor. Make sure its on. If its not flashing green, its off. When you turn it on, it will chirp a few times and then go to flashing green. Without it on, you will get no propane flow to the stove or the refrigerator.
Marietta, GA
Old 07-29-2019

Also there is a propane switch inside the drivers side fuel filler door. Needs to be switched on for the propane to flow.

Oh now I see Randy already mentioned that switch.

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 07-29-2019

Your propane system is controlled by a normally closed solenoid valve at the tank. To get this valve to open three conditions must be true:

1. The switch by the fill port must be on (up)
2. The switch behind the panel in front of the kitchen sink must be on (up, light on)
3. The detector under the sink (on the recessed kick panel) must not sense propane in the air and send current to the solenoid at the tank.

The original detector used in the 1999 is probably aged out and dead. This detector is out of production, nobody repairs them, and there is no new old stock.
The good news is that you can buy a replacement detector that will fit the same space and perform the same function. You will also have to replace the solenoid valve at the tank, as the existing solenoid uses 6-9 volts, the new detectors apply 12, and the old one will burn out. You will also need to find a 12 volt return (-) for the new detector.

Finally, if the system has been off for some substantial period (months) it can take a while to get gas to the stove. Keep the valve open and the spark igniter going for a minute or two; it will take a little while to get a steady flame.

Two other conditions are necessary to get propane.

1. There must actually be propane in the tank. (check the small valve by the fill port. if turned counterclockwise you should have propane escaping).
2. The physical shut off valve on the tank must be open (fully counterclockwise).
note: Propane valves are designed to be either fully opened or fully closed unlike gate valves and SCUBA valves (full on, back 1/4). If not full open/closed there is a high change of leakage.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 07-29-2019

Ok thanks. we have an issue then. The detector chirps constantly, there is no switch in the panel under sink. Looks like it was set up, but no hole for switch. Water pump only. There is propane in the tank. (opened valve as u suggested) Leaving this for another day.

We have a Xantrex inverter, no power to the remote in dash, but inverter is working. (AC power inside) however a flashing red light on the inverter itself. Stays on even when inverter is turned off?? This one has me stumped. I have the manual, but the solution must be somewhere I can't find. This I need to figure out.

Also when in storage do you leave the master switch on or off? What about the 12v switch beside passenger seat?? The owners manual isn't clear. Storing inside for about 30 days.

Also who could cut a spare key? The local ACE was unable to locate a blank.

Thanks for the help. Mark
1986 Newell 40
1999 LX 40
Old 07-29-2019
Forum owner

Have you talked to the PO about this stuff?
It seems like he should have given you some tips here.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com