Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 17 Hours Ago

I would never advocate drinking and driving, especially these beasts...but honestly it feels like I am. The steering feels drunk. Tony has no issues, but of course he is used to driving not only this bus but various POS's in his life and can drive just about anything. I have always driven good automobiles with nice tight steering with no slope or play. I just want the bird to fly straight...is that really asking too much?

Fort Myers, Florida
1982 FC33 3208T "EM-50" - SOLD
1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"

danahcks@aol.com
Old 17 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrl View Post
I would never advocate drinking and driving, especially these beasts...but honestly it feels like I am. The steering feels drunk. Tony has no issues, but of course he is used to driving not only this bus but various POS's in his life and can drive just about anything. I have always driven good automobiles with nice tight steering with no slope or play. I just want the bird to fly straight...is that really asking too much?

YES.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 17 Hours Ago

Dana you will get there. It's hard to know how much is the bus and how much is you . Ive been there and I know what you are experiencing. You need to get the bus as right as you can and then just practice. The eighteen wheels WILL push you some . An experienced driver might compensate automatically . By your discription you are over adjusting but that's entirely normal. You have to get a feel for it but the biggest advice I can give you is go slow. I understand exactly what you are saying and you will be fine but keep the speed around 50. 60 to 65 is really pushing the FC 62 is a pretty good cruising speed but only after you get some miles. Don't panic if you feel like you don't have control apply a little braking. I feel for you. I've been there. It's not you it's the bus and they do drive differently Also I had to get used to the position of the brake . I would get on the gas sometimes when looking for the brake.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 9 Hours Ago
Learning about Bluebirds!

Time and experience. The first small two lane in a provincial park (awful road) was nerve wracking and I almost ended up in a bog. I learned to slow down and go the vehicle's speed for the road conditions. After going into the Rockies I now find that small two lane a piece of cake. It was all about getting comfortable.

I stay at 60 MPH on a good highway towing a Honda Pilot. Anything faster in an FC just isn't worth the wear and tear in my opinion.

Witness tape is a good idea. PO taught me to use the driver side mirror to be right on the lane marking. If you can see the painted line you are good. If there is too much space between the bird and the line not good. Other drivers tend to give the bird a lot of respect - don't ask me about the avalanche sheds in British Columbia though
2003 Honda Pilot Toad
Pokornikd@wclc.com
Old 8 Hours Ago

Aside from obvious mechanical issues, which you may have, but I'm going to think may not. Sam didn't seem to have an issue with it, so I'm going with this.

RELAX!!!!

Randy's comment on using one hand is good. Andy's comment about letting the wheel slide back and forth is also good. Both of these techniques will allow you reasonable control and make driving a little less stressful for you. It also helps if you have armrests on our seat. My armrests are adjustable for height. I set them so I can rest my elbow on the armrest put the wheel in my fingers, more than in my hand. I switch hands as needed, keeping the other one in close proximity to the wheel, usually just under the wheel on my knee "just in case."

You being a motorcycle rider are also aware of what Andy said about steering the direction you are looking. Because there are so many places you need to be looking, it is very easy to fall into the trap of steering the bus that direction your eyes take. You kind of have to break the two wheel rider habit or at least put it to rest, when driving the bus. Again, the biggest thing you can do is RELAX. That will more than likely happen with experience. You don't seem to be a person that lacks confidence, so I'm guessing that is not an issue and should make relaxing a little easier.

All of our comments are intended to help; however, you have to do what is comfortable for you. Try the other techniques and if they work great. If not, do what works best for you and your comfort zone.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 7 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrl View Post
Glad to see you guys and carry on a conversation during my absence...lol We have made it to Milton, FL uneventfully. We stopped the first night and slept in my first Wal-mart parking lot in Tallahassee. The FC has preformed as expected.
I did a little driving on I-10 and all I can say is I have a new found respect for you guys, especially Finn with his tremors. I found I really couldn't go above 60mph or I was wandering all over my lane. My hands went to sleep. Getting the Saf-T-steer this year at Pine Mountain and hoping that helps. I hate putting all the driving on Tony, plus I love to drive, just am having trouble getting this marshmallow steering under control.

Now if we could just get the stove top to work...... oh we also had the propane tank refilled. Stove still doesn't work and no one has the replacement shut off solenoid for the range gas.
Do the following to light stove Top:

Make sure the propane tank and propane detector are on.

Turn one of the knobs all the way to the light or ignite (can't remember what is printed on the knob) position and then push in on the knob.

At this point you should smell propane, if not, there is still air in the line, keep pushing on the knob until you smell propane.

Now, push the red button (you should hear a loud click) while still pushing on knob and it should light, if not, keep hitting red button until it lights. Hold the knob in for 5 to 10 seconds to warm up the igniter. now let go of knob and it will stay lit.

The reason you need to hold it in for a few seconds is to warm up the igniter so it will stay lit, it’s a safely feature I guess. The stove top is not original to the bus, we had it replaced with this one and it’s actually for a boat and you can see it has a feature that will let it sway on pivot points to compensate the motion of the boat in the water. but we obviously had in the lock position for the FC.

by the way, your private message box is full.

Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 7 Hours Ago

I do appreciate all the help and tips. I don't take offense to any of it, even Randy's occasional ribbing. lol It just blows my mind. Driving came naturally to me and I take great joy in fully driving my machines and exploring their possibilities...sure Tony being the ex-racer is a bit more adventurous with his driving than me, but I'm not far behind. It just breaks my heart that driving my beloved bus is not very natural for me. I'll get it...eventually...or die trying.

Fort Myers, Florida

danahcks@aol.com
Old 7 Hours Ago
Forum owner

A full air ride coach is tough to drive.
Very few semis have front air ride,and theres a reason.
You have a learning curve for sure,but just think of it this way,if the OLD men here can drive one,you can drive one!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 5 Hours Ago

My wife drives the BB more since my back injury. Last trip she asked how I got it to drive better. I lifted the front end and greased the king pins with red grease (someone should turn the wheel slow when greasing it). Then greased the rest of the chassis, are pressure, ect.
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 1 Minute Ago

Thanks again everyone. I'd be lost without you all.
The camp guy came around this morning to welcome us to the place and thanked us for coming. We are the only Bird here and he said anytime a Bluebird was in his park, it was a sign of good luck.

Also found a place I really like and best part is it's waterfront...we just have to clear some underbrush from the train tracks and there is an amazing view of the bay. We did Ft. Pickens this afternoon and it was awesome. The beaches are amazing and very uncrowded. I LOVE IT! Meeting with the realtor in the morning. Just have to figure out where to park the bird on the property.

Fort Myers, Florida

danahcks@aol.com