Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Got the Quattro all dialed in and happy. All 12 battries have been charged for a few days. I yanked the plug and turned on a few heaters and lights and it hardly showed a blip on my phone. I ran all three ACs and that was a bit more. I do want to do some testing to see how many hours I can run my stuff on one charge.

I have the Venus GX up behind the kitchen cabinet and the phone and iPad can pick it up no problem. I still have to put the Color Control VX up where the old Trace panel was. I don't need them both but I got them. I still have to tie the gen start in. I am putting in a set of breakers in near the water tanks to cut out the whole bay in case I have a problem, or just when I am on shore power and want to work on the battries etc. Up soon is the solar. I have to take a brake from this for the garage. it's going up this week!
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 4 Weeks Ago

nice update!
That bank should be a very sweet setup.
Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
nice update!
That bank should be a very sweet setup.
Doug
Thanks,

I have 8 solar panels to put up in a few weeks. The circuit breaker bypass , lighting suppressor, tie in the generator auto start and I will be done with that project. I have a dozen more sitting, waiting to put in. My better half didn't like all the boxes sitting till I started the hard work lol. I have till June to get the coach all settled for our trip out west.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 4 Weeks Ago

No more pictures? Come on now!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

This was last week. About 1/3 done. I have the batteries in boxes, 4 to a box. I have 6, 48 volt fans with 100' snap thermostats still to go in, along the top. 2 to a box. Boxes are oversize with cleats holding in the battries. That way I have voids down the middle, in each side and along the bottom. I have vents on the back bottoms to move the air around in them. I am making an LED panel to show if the fans are running, up in the coach. I can slide the boxes out onto a platform I built to work on them by only removing 4 wires (and ten screws) in ten minutes. I can get to the Aqua Hot that way too. Can't do much to hurt the Battle born battries since the BMS will cut them off, hot cold, low or high charge. Missing in this pic is the main fuse (400 amps) that now lives to the right of the aluminium surge suppressor. I had the inverter running full tilt last week (when it was 90' out) and it didn't even warm up much at all. I moved my environmental sensor chip down to the bay (from the coach) and have alarm set on the app on my phone if it gets over 100.' I want to insulate the back of the bay door. Up top I have a foam auto fire extinguisher and a smoke alarm. At the very top is the AM Solar phase converter so I can run the Victron on 2 wires and not 3. Each bank is on a battery switch, the big aluminum heat sink is the MOSFET surge suppressor to keep the BMSs from shutting down the battries in a inverter start up surge. It works good. Not warm at all when all three A/C were running. I yanked the shore power cord 3 times (with all 3 A/C running) to test the inverter start up and not once did the any of the battries trip. Behind the inverter is the Victron MPPT solar controller. Its tied into the Venus GX like the inverter. I ever get rid of the propane tank (it's empty, shut off hard and behind the battries) I'll move everything back there and get the bay back. I have a domestic fridge and am going to put in an induction cook top soon. Wife used the microwave / convention oven at the Florida Flywheels rally last week no problem.

I had to get 6, 12 volt Trojans back in the traditional house battery bay to keep the DC side of the house up. I had to get a yacht type battery charger (very smart) to keep them up. It uses 10 amps AC max to charge at 50 amps DC. I ran the 110 volt cable (boat cable, top notch) up to the breaker box and gave it the old engine heat breaker. I ever need engine heat I'll use the Aqua Hot. The only time I tried the electric engine heater I got a ton of smoke pouring out the back of the coach, I have to look at that to see what burnt one day. I have run this on the generator no problem when I turn the inverter down to 20 amps. The make up power available from the inverter picks up the 20 or 30 amps when i need it and when things quite down the inverter's charger makes it up PDQ. That I go from the engineer at AM solar. He called me last week asking how I was doing. When I told him what I was doing he got very interested. I have been able to ask him a lot of questions as I have been of Battle Born so this is not all hillbilly. Have at it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Half done.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	65988  
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835