Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 10-24-2010

Default Recommended Tire Pressure

I recently picked up my M380 from my repair facility and asked them to checked the tire pressure given that it is not easy when towing a car to find a place to air up or having to use the on-board compressor. The technician assistant told me he put 110 in the rear tires and 95 in the front. Naturally I had him change it to the recommended 95 in the rear and 115 in the front. He told me that the recommended pressure posted was for the original tires not the one's I currently have which are rated for 120 lbs. and that the rear should carry more air since the weight was in the rear. I have always followed the posted recommendation and carried 95 in the rear and 115 in the front. Questions: If the weight is in the rear shouldn't it carry more pressure? Is 115 lbs. to high for a tire posted for 120 lbs.? Why the word "recommended" why not just post the proper tire pressure, how much leeway is in that word recommended>
Old 10-24-2010
Forum Moderator

Dennis if I'm wrong here someone will remedy that but the common wisdom is that you first weigh your coach at each tire position if possible but at minimum you should weigh each axle. You then go to the tire manufacturers load range tables and select your tire and the weight the tires carry for each position or overall axle weight. Using the tables and keeping in mind the maximum psi allowed by the wheels you can determine the correct tire pressure for your particular coach and it's load. Remember to use the same tire pressure for all the wheels on a particular axle.
Old 10-24-2010

Dennis,

As Rob said; the only way to get to the correct pressure is by weighing the coach.

The reason the drive axle tire pressures on our coaches are normally less than the steer axle is because there are 4 tires on that axle carrying weight that is not near double the weight on the steer. When checking the load inflation tables after weighing your coach, be sure to follow instructions for single tire or dual tire as duals do not carry double the weight at the same pressure.
Old 10-24-2010

FWIW I have never been told to only inflate a tire to 115 PSI that is rated for 120 PSI. The manufacturer and most guides say to check the tire pressure when cold. It is normal for pressure to rise as the tires warm. I wonder if the person making this recommendation is trying to leave room for the tire pressure to rise after driving. I don't believe that is necessary. If the tire is rated for 120 PSI I think that pressure is what can be measured when the tire is cold.

Now having said all this, your pressures will need to be set once the coach is weighed on each corner. That will drive you to the correct pressure for your coach for the weight each corner is holding, plus 5 PSI for a safety margin.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 10-24-2010

Here is an example for Michelin tires.
http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...ion-tables.jsp
Old 10-24-2010

Thanks guys, I assumed much of what you said, but never like to act on assumptions.
Old 10-25-2010
Former Bird Owner

Note that when you weigh your coach wheel by wheel, there is usually some imbalance from left to right. Select the pressure for the _highest_ weight of the two sides -- then inflate the tires equally on each axle so that both sides are the same at the pressure that supports the higher weight.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 10-28-2010
Chegment

Default Tire pressures

My coach has placards stating fronts should be 105, and rears 75. I brought this up previously on WOG forum and was advised to raise rears to 100. This is what I've been running in my 1981FC coach. I use Michelins on front and Bridgestones on rear. With new Koni shocks the Coach handles very well on all kinds of roads. Scarred to death of a blowout.
Connecticut 06089
Old 10-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Johnson View Post
My coach has placards stating fronts should be 105, and rears 75. I brought this up previously on WOG forum and was advised to raise rears to 100. This is what I've been running in my 1981FC coach. I use Michelins on front and Bridgestones on rear. With new Koni shocks the Coach handles very well on all kinds of roads. Scarred to death of a blowout.
Perfect! My first time reading about tire pressure on WOG and Rich has my twin coach, so I'll go with his research as quoted above. All of my tires have been at 120psi since I took delivery a few months ago, so the installer aired them to the MAX cold for each according to the tire. I'll go with Rich and the placard adjustment and see if it makes a difference driving.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Walsh
Scottsdale, AZ
1982 33-FC RB (7/2019-current)
Old 10-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Johnson View Post
My coach has placards... Scarred to death of a blowout.
Ignore those placards! Get a four corner weigh, then set COLD pressures as mentioned above using appropriate manufacturer tire inflation chart. As to handling a blowout, there’s an old video that shows how to handle the dreaded steer tire blowout & why: https://youtu.be/lkwOE1yKY5c (FF to 2:45). Correct procedure may not be what you think!