Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 02-26-2020

Had a bit of time to play with it today. It was nearly a gallon low on coolant. Hopefully that explains the overheating.

New issue is that it starts just fine and immediately turns off. It runs if I manually hold the shutoff solenoid open. The solenoid works as it should when I hit the start button but as soon as I let go it moves to the shutoff position.
Old 02-27-2020

Sounds like it still not fixed. Your Onan shop gots some splaning to do.
I don’t think your old solinoid was bad, isn’t it doing the same thing it did before?

I had a similar issue, ended up being the cannon plug. Bypassed the wire with a beefy connector and it solved it.

I would suspect the cannon plug first, that thing is a piece of ****, bypassing it completely solves a lot of troubles.

Make sure the solinoid is properly adjusted, it should have full travel to open.
Maybe reach around back and make sure the cannon plug is tight.

What happened with your ignition switch and the short ?
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
Sounds like it still not fixed. Your Onan shop gots some splaning to do.
I don’t think your old solinoid was bad, isn’t it doing the same thing it did before?

I had a similar issue, ended up being the cannon plug. Bypassed the wire with a beefy connector and it solved it.

I would suspect the cannon plug first, that thing is a piece of ****, bypassing it completely solves a lot of troubles.

Make sure the solinoid is properly adjusted, it should have full travel to open.
Maybe reach around back and make sure the cannon plug is tight.

What happened with your ignition switch and the short ?

They told me to bring it back. I'm going to attempt to bypass more of the cannon plug this weekend and see if that will do it.

In other news I needed to put the dash back together and one of the wires had fallen off the ignition switch and the bus wouldn't start. Figured out where it went and voila, a bus that starts. My first working repair.

I cleaned up all the terminals with sand paper and took my pliers and closed the gaps on the spade connectors so all the connections are nice and tight now. Hopefully I can put that issue to rest once and for all.

A neighbor stopped by today while I was working on it and introduced himself. He has a great looking PT36 just down the road from me. He said there is another bird in town too. Nice to see some Bird representation out here.

Random question but my trailer plus is inoperable. Do the wires get their power from the tail light right next to it? The tail lights seem to work.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I almost forgot, I was cleaning out the bus and Bruce had included a new water pump, thermostat, glow plugs, and an alternator/stator (I think) for the generator. Looks like I have a project ahead of me.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Onan generator

Hi Matt,
Per the manual in the blue box, a big deal is the generator end bearing replacement. It is a sealed bearing having a scheduled change due to the grease getting dried up. The Onan dealer would have the proper part number.
I would change engine mounts.
Suggest adjusting the valves.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

The fan motor was dead which caused it to overheat and trip the fault breaker. All seems to be working well.

Fixed the trailer wiring. Main thing left is to figure out the fan clutch issue.