Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-22-2012

Smile Propane Issue, 95 PT

Hi all,
when I picked up my PT in September, the propane indicator in the kitchen showed 4 of the 5 LEDs lit, which I take to be 3/4 full. Since I have stayed plugged in or on gen since then, the only propane used has been for cooking (Aquahot diesel for heating). So it doesn't surprise me that I still have the same 4 LEDs lit. Cause I don't believe we are using much. But this morning, we got a surprise when the stove quit working, while we were cooking. And we could not get it lit again. Oh, well, says me, it just means the sensors are not accurate. So, we take it to a dealer and fill up with propane. However, all he could make it take was 14.3 gallons, which would mean it was between half and 3/4 full, meaning the LEDs were probably right. But if that is the case, why would it have quit while we still had plenty of propane? Once we filled it up, stove working like a charm again. Anyone run across anything like this before?

All ideas and suggestions appreciated.
2010 Honda Element -- "Shadow"

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost." -- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Old 01-22-2012
Former Bird Owner

One possibility -- and this depends on where you filled up. "LP Gas" is generally a mixture of Butane and Propane. The mix varies and can have a lot of Butane or less. Butane evaporates at 32~34 degrees F. (Propane is a gas at much lower temperatures -- it evaporates at -35 degrees F or so (that's minus 35).) If the LP Gas has a higher mix of butane (likely if filled in a southern area) AND if you are in cold temps, then you may simply run out of the vapor that is used in the gas appliances.

I recently ran into this phenomena with my LP Gas burning generator on my Roadtrek. We'd filled up in Texas in late October -- and in January after I'd changed the oil in the generator, it shut down after running a few minutes -- then would not start. But a few days later, when the weather was warmer, it ran for about 2 hours with no trouble.

Another possibility is that the regulator is not set exactly right, and when the pressure is 'down' a bit, there's insufficient pressure in the system to light the stove. There are special tools required to check the pressure and it's generally best to have a qualified technician fiddle with the settings. The regulator should accommodate whatever pressure level is in the tank, and if it does not then in may need to be adjusted, repaired, or replaced.

It's important to know what you're doing so get qualified help if necessary. LP Gas is very dangerous stuff and you don't need to get blown up.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-22-2012

Pete, I bet the regulator is the issue. It got up to 80 today, so I doubt temp was the issue.

Thanks for the reply.

Lee
2010 Honda Element -- "Shadow"

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost." -- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Old 01-22-2012
ANOTHER REDNECK

i put 33.8 in mine last week and it shows 3/4

but it was all they would do

the bled is inside a compt with plate covering it

i am going to make a door so we can fill it proper with bled open untill liquid comes out
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571