Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-10-2019

Hi Patrick, is this the grease fitting you are talking about? I found it only after reading the steering box manual. It still had a plastic cap on it, so I don’t know if it had been greased before or not. I have had it serviced twice at Spartan, so hopefully they know about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	887F9BFE-0B55-4481-AC34-AD532E33F3CF.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	60182  
F110660
Old 02-10-2019

Yep. Looks like it to me Tim.

FMCA F469045
EAA 404878
Old 02-10-2019

Does a 1990 40 WB have that grease fitting?
1990 PT-40 Blue Thunder
Old 02-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by schamp View Post
Does a 1990 40 WB have that grease fitting?
BMC’s have a TAS steering box, at least my 95 does, made by TRW. Not sure what the WB’s have. The way I understand it the purpose of this grease fitting is to create a grease seal or barrier to keep dirt and moisture out from around the shaft.
F110660
Old 03-09-2019

Patrick, if the mood strikes you I for one would be interested in seeing where / how you are making the gear adjustments. @ 150000 I have a bit of movement in my steering wheel, all inspections point to the sector gear. I am considering installing a SafTSteer to band- aid, but also think if adjustable that might be a good thing to do too.

Also, every once in a while on a hard turn, I feel a hard spot, but again all inspections indicate no interference. I am wondering if I may have a little air in the system too. Do you recall the procedure to bleed? I also wonder if it might be time to change the hydraulic fluid? Id assume this would be quite a task with the engine fan motor involved, can you comment when you have time please.

Jim
Old 2 Days Ago

I am still trying to get a good grasp on how to adjust this Sector Gear, steering box.

Patrick or anyone, can you or would you have any pics of what you had to cut out of the bay to access the adjuster. Or a pic of the special tool? What is the process to make this adjustment, is there a torque specification, a tighten up and loosen up measurement? I understand if it's to tight one would get into trouble.

Tim, can you give me any more information on what steering box is in the 95 Spartan, maybe I can look something up that a way?

Thanks all

Thank you.
Old 2 Days Ago
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrescue View Post
I meant to write a follow up on this but kept forgetting. Sorry. Better late than never I suppose.

So, I took everyone's advice and paid to have the steering gearbox changed out rather than do it myself. I'm glad I did, but it wasn't without issue.

It was time-consuming for the shop that replaced it. Time-consuming of course equals expensive when you're paying by the hour. You have to disconnect the entire bracket that the gearbox is attached to from the frame, drop the assembly down, then disassemble it. It really is tough to do on these.

Spartan gave me a copy of a service bulletin that did help somewhat. The service bulletin covers replacement of the bracket due to cracks. I uploaded and it can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw1...ew?usp=sharing

After the new steering gearbox was put in, I had multiple issues with it, mostly due to the installers.

1) After getting home I found it had a small hyd leak. This ended up being from the fitting that screws into the unit at the top for the return line. I later took it all apart again and fixed the leak myself.

2) It initially had a small catch when turning to the right. The long and short is that it just needed to be bled more. To be fair, it is hard to get all the air out of a new one. Time helps.

3) There was slop in the reman unit. I was able to tighten it up using the sector shaft adjustment so it's good and tight now, but I shouldn't have had to do that (that part is on the reman company).

So, it was a considerable expenditure of time and money, but the end game is that it is definitely improved over when I started.

A couple other random thoughts from all of it-

-The sector shaft adjustment faces the storage bay. I made an access hole in my bay, and then made a cover plate. Now I can access it and adjust it easily. My old one had clearly never been adjusted, and it was not able to be adjusted. the adjustment screw seemed jammed in the old one even with the lock nut loosened.

Another way to skin the cat would be making a special tool. Marty Gregg told me that he made one. I bet he'd share a pic of what he made if someone wanted to go that route.

-There is a grease fitting on the steering gearbox that is hard to reach. It looks like it lubricates the main bearing the pitman shaft rotates on. I'm quite sure that fitting never gets any love on almost every bus.

-I'm definitely a big proponent of taking out slack that is anywhere in the steering system. My bus drove pretty well before, but with a tight steering system, and a good alignment it really steers well these days.

Anyway, that's all I can think of.

FMCA F469045
EAA 404878
I added the Spartan Motors Chassis, Inc. SERVICE BULLETIN RSB13-260-001 to the WOG Database - thanks Patrick.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001