Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 01-12-2008

Perhaps the first thing to do is to measure the existing opening with the old TV in place. Then narrow down the multitude of TVs available to the few which will fit your space available. I recommend using the Internet sites of a few of the major retailers (Bestbuy.com, CircuitCity.com and Outpost.com (Fry's) will work). Once you have determined the availability of a replacement unit you can proceed to see what your up against. Start by removing the storage compartments on both sides of the TV. They were held in place by 3 screws installed along the leading edge of the bottom of the shelves on my coach. You will then have access to see how the old TV is held in place. The previous owner had already replaced the original unit on my coach so I can't tell you what to expect exactly. My old TV was held in place by springs attached to threaded eye bolts mounted to brackets in the ceiling. (Remember that the old tube types are heavy beasts!!)
Old 05-11-2008

Default HDTV Installation

As promised earlier here's a couple of shots of my modification to our Bird. I installed a new MotoSat 5 LNB unit, a Sharp 1080P 32" LCD and a new DirectTV HD21 receiver.

Because of the area we live in and the heat generated by the recceivers and all the other equipment I installed a small cooling fan wired through a "snap disk". The "snap disk" turns the fan on at 110 and off at 90. So far I have not had an issue with heat.

The new Sharp HDTV fits exactly between my upper cabinet doors. For a guy that's been looking at normal TV on a 21 inch TV the difference is truly stunning.

My next project is to install a Dolby 5.1 unit, a Blueray unit and then a smaller LCD unit in the bedroom.

I was able to get the MotoSat unit for $2000, the 32" Sharp was just under $1200 via the internet, the HD21 reciever was $170 at Costco and the mount was about $80, also at Costco.

We're using our old DirectTV reciever for the bedroom TV so we have a DVR for both units (thinking about a 19 to 21 inch LCD unit back there). The RF remotes work great and will control both TV's in any part of the coach.

The MotoSat insallation was a bit tricky just because I hadn't done one before, other than that it went very well.

If anyone would like more info, drop me a note.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	306   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	494
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	307   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	308   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	309  
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 05-11-2008

Lance,
Thanks for the pics - the setup looks way cool. The front of our LXI is not like yours, however. I have the black acrylic all the way across and there are three separate compartments. The one that holds the TV is on the far right and it appears that to accommodate a larger TV that I would have to combine two compartments and possibly have to completely redesign the look. I would prefer to keep the acrylic look but the TV is relatively small, perhaps 22". Since we are likely to have to upgrade by next year anyway I would like to replace with a larger set. BB gave me a SWAG that said it would take $5-6K to modify and retain the look.
If there are any owners of LXI's out there who have modified your entertainment center and installed a larger TV, I would be interested in your comments.

Terry Baker
2000 LXI 43
"Always Something"
"Always Something"
Old 05-11-2008

Terry:

I considered building a ceiling mount and putting in a larger TV. One of my friends here did that and it looks and works very well. My front AC is to close to the front of the coach to do that and I'm very happy with the 32" set.

My friend built a box, covered it with the same material as the ceiling, put in a Dolby 5.1 system with the 3 front speakers mounted on the front of the box. He uses gas struts and raises and lowers the set manually.

If you're going to trade coaches then it makes no sense to spend the time and money, our problem is that we have yet to find a coach we like more than the one we have. Slides would be nice, but most of the new coaches have very little storage space and being full-timers that makes a huge difference.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 05-12-2008

Lance,
That looks great. I have a '93 and my front looks exactly like yours. I'm not quite ready to get into the heavy duty entertainment system yet but will be. I hope I can pick your brain when it comes time for me to do mine.
Jim

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 05-12-2008

Jim:

Pick away when you're ready.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 12-11-2008

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
If you go to the link below the photo, it will open a Feature Of the Month that we had a few months ago. A very detailed description of what Greg O'Connor did with his TV can be found by clicking on "NEXT" at the right of each page for more information.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/72004635
John,
I checked out that area but can't find anything about Greg's installation.

Liz
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 12-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRoamer View Post
As promised earlier here's a couple of shots of my modification to our Bird. I installed a new MotoSat 5 LNB unit, a Sharp 1080P 32" LCD and a new DirectTV HD21 receiver.

Because of the area we live in and the heat generated by the recceivers and all the other equipment I installed a small cooling fan wired through a "snap disk". The "snap disk" turns the fan on at 110 and off at 90. So far I have not had an issue with heat.

The new Sharp HDTV fits exactly between my upper cabinet doors. For a guy that's been looking at normal TV on a 21 inch TV the difference is truly stunning.
.................................................. .................................
If anyone would like more info, drop me a note.
=====================================

Howdy, Lance.
How do you keep the TV from bouncing around when the coach is moving?

How did you construct the supports for that arm mount?

TIA,
Jack
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 12-11-2008

Jack:

After taking out the old TV I used a couple of short pieces of 2" X 3" to built a support frame for the swivel mount (purchased at Costco). The frame is screwed to the existing mount and is very strong. The swivel mount is built to hold TV's up to 48", so there's plenty of "beef" there.

The mount can be locked in to any position and in addition I have mount Velcro around the edge as a final holding device. With everything locked down it just doesn't move. And yet I can have it up, runing and positiioned in a less than a minute.

If you'd like more detailed pix's I could certainly do that for you.

Lance
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 12-11-2008

Jack:

Getting the old TV out was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Like all the other cabinets in a Bird there are screws driven in from nearly all sides. Once you've got all the screws out the whole interior cabinet for the TV slides right out. It took me less than 1/2 hour to get it out. Of course you've got to disconnect all the wires first.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV