Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 07-02-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh0 View Post
Glad this was helpful. There are four wires going to each blower, on each side, three heavy 12ga power wires, from the corresponding a/c fan switch on the dash, and a black ground wire, secured by a screw on the outside of the evaporator, one per side. These four wires are easy to locate, since they pass through their respective hole on each side of the top plate, directly over each motor. From the wire harness, the three power wires are the same color, blue in my case, and are heavy, about 12 gauge, and have numbered labels. Since there is nothing else electrical attached to the evaporator, other than these wires, you can simply cut each bundle, right where they pass into the top, separate them, strip them, hook the black ground (from the screw in front) to the new blower, then using a test light or meter place the blower switch in the first position and see which of the three is hot, and connect to your new blower. Cap off the other two for future reference and you are good to go. Since this was a quick project, (going fishing tonight) I didn't worry about the speed issue, but I will fix that later. These motors can easily be controlled with a solid state variable PCM controller, available cheaply, which would replace the three position switch in the dash. Of course, you would want to assemble a potentiometer with a power switch section to engage the compressor, for the left side control. Good luck, and keep your dash air working, it is a wonderful feature, and I wouldn't be without it. p.s. When I get back from fishing, I will photo the wire numbers and location and pass it along.

I checked the wires in the overhead compartment and all of them are there for the left blower, but the ones for the right have been butchered, so I will add a TYCO (BOSCH) Relay up there and use the left blower switched wire to tap 12v off of to trigger the relay for the add on blower on the right side, that will allow both sides to be controlled by the dash switch.............................don't you just love people that cut up the wires instead of just disconnecting them and then maybe as a favor labeling them

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-03-2010

The tags on the wires are 4,5,6 for the right blower high,med,low and 7,8,9 for the left blower high,med,low both groups of wires proceed from the same main bundle, so if you can find the left wires, the cut off wires cant be too far from the scene. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2010

Update: just returned from fishing trip. Blower will require speed control. A/C worked great all the way, but blower noise was excessive, and air flow was more than desired, especially after system really got cooled down. But at least it worked!
Old 07-11-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh0 View Post
The tags on the wires are 4,5,6 for the right blower high,med,low and 7,8,9 for the left blower high,med,low both groups of wires proceed from the same main bundle, so if you can find the left wires, the cut off wires cant be too far from the scene. Good luck.

I found the wires in question..............................unfortunatel y they are all dead as a door nail, so I started to look even further, I traced the actual wires going to the left blower motor and they are different colors on mine where they actually enter the overhead a/cond housing and then I looked even further for the right blower motor wires and sure enough there they were cut off of coarse, but tucked back out of the way so that they were difficult to see. I grounded the black wire and ran a hot wire jumper from the 12 volt buss bar and touched it to the orange wire and what do you know the right blower motor worked just fine, so I decided to just use the left blower motor hot wire to trigger a TYCO (BOSCH) relay for the right blower like I had talked about earlier.

The next time I open up the dash I will investigate were the power loss is at after the 12v leaves the dash switch I checked it last time I was in there and there was 12v going in and out of that switch, I suspect it will be in one of the cannon style plug under there and if I can get it fixed, it is easy to just remove the relay trigger wire from the left blower and use the normal right 12v wire in its place.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-12-2010

If I had anything to add, it would be bear in mind that the wires coming out (or going in to) the evaporator will be different colors, because they originate directly from the internal motor, and are spliced outside of the evaporator to the factory harness, which is covered in a coarse, woven, anti abrasion, cloth cover, flowing from the main harness in the back. (one per side) Since you have established that each of your dash switches has power, presumptively from a breaker located behind the driver's side headlight door, on the ignition switched row of breakers on the back of the steering column. But the blower wires for the right side are dead, then most likely its the nylon molex connector for that blower switch, as opposed to a canon plug. I am not even certain a canon plug is in that circuit, without consulting the schematics, but I know a molex plug is, and they are all suspect. The best favor a bluebird owner could do for themselves, would be to replace each of those plugs, with whatever the gold- plated-pin-equivalent plug in the year 2010 might be. Those old molex plugs account for fully 90% of the intermittent operation of gauges, jacks, indicators, speedo, tach, engine monitor, alarm, lights, you name it. Every bump is a new adventure so long as they remain.
Old 07-12-2010
Senior

Guys I believe you are making the replacing of the blower motors etc more complicated then you need to. You do not have to remove the refrigerant to replace them. I replaced the motors and fans on my evaporator for the chassis air in my previous 1982 FC35, then installed bosch relays to control the low,medium, and high motor speeds for the motors so that all of the heavy current was taken out of the switches that originally controlled them. Contrary to what Bluebird told me the fans are still available from a company in Texas. I believe this company made the fans etc for a lot of the other bluebird products including other year wanderlodges. I just looked thru some of my stacks of information on these beasts and cant find it quickly. But I do have their catalog if there is any interest in ordering new fans for your coach. I apologize that I have not got it handy now. I thought I had the pictures of this work on photobucket but just looked and only have a few pictures of the bosch relay installation for the motor speeds. http://tinyurl.com/ka2ep

You can remove the evaporator top cover but it is a little difficult. There are several phillips head screws at the rear of the cover that have to be removed. to do that I bought a set of small ratched screw drivers and after a lot of sweat removed the cover.
6V92
Old 07-12-2010

I did remove the top cover on my evaporator, and I could have removed the right fan, but the left fan was completely shot, and was hung behind the plumbing of the evaporator core, which I was able to lift out somewhat, but I couldn't find just the right combination because in my case, the hose from the dryer was short enough that I just couldn't swing it without placing unacceptable stress on the plumbing. I have heard that it is possible, but I reached the point of diminishing returns rather rapidly, so I went with the quick fix. That's my story.