Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Comments and Questions about the Wanderlodge factory

Comments and Questions about the Wanderlodge factory If you have a comment or a question about the Wanderlodge factory, ask them here.

Site Search:

Old 01-15-2011
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteaeonix View Post
Except you ignore the fact that 100% of the mainline diesel locomotives on U.S. Railroads use a diesel-electric power configuration, with power rated as much as 6600 HP. (Most road locomotives used today range from 3000 to 4500 HP.) (With the exception of relatively small segments of fully electrified rail lines.) (See http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/history/loco/locohs03.shtml )

Having worked 21 years at a major railroad, I can assure you that rail carriers squeeze every nickel out of costs and would not use the diesel-electric arrangement unless it was the most efficient.
I suspect that the generator in Christian's example isn't terribly efficient at converting diesel to Alternating Current. I also suspect that there's a sweet spot in terms of power delivery where locomotive style electromotive drive systems become the clear efficiency winners. As power goes up, the efficiency and reliability of mechanical transmissions taper off; meanwhile, as power goes up the efficiency of electrical generators increases.
Old 01-15-2011

one thing that the railways do is use fuel
a circa 1980 engine uses in excess of 400 gals an hour at full throttle and full load
a new AC engine uses about 2/3 that
a 1965 1800 hp uses as much as a new AC engine
and their a lot of old engines still in service on all railways
railways have a tradition of spending a dollar to make a dime and I worked on a class one carrier that has the LOWEST operating ratio of all the carriers in North America

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 01-16-2011

Back to the original topic (but I LOVE the Railroad stuff too).

Here is the criteria that made myself and "She Who Must Be Obeyed" agree that only a Wanderlodge would do:

1) SAFETY! Us and our children will be in this big metal can and it's gotta be safe!
2) Durability. Although it's not no maintenance, a Wanderlodge requires less maintenance over its lifetime than any other coach out there.
3) Liveability. It's not a house, but the general arrangement is outstanding for the size.
4) NO ******* SLIDES! High weight and maintenance and I just don't like them. Certainly more room than my Granddad's old Winnie).
5) Retro Styling. Personally, it's camping... with kids. Classic yacht styling and NO WHITE SURFACES works for a family. Light - Bright - All White just makes me cringe.

I've gone over the total cost of a All American RE dressed out like a classic FC and even with a roof-raised to 7' modern materials and careful planning could enable putting out a new "Retro Classic" Wanderlodge very reasonably. Add in other costs Premier would have (including profit) and they could kick the pants off of any perceived competition.

Besides... I WANT ONE!
Old 03-27-2016

I'm new. But I have to throw in my two cents on slides.
We are (relatively) young- in our 30's- and when we started looking at RV's in general we very quickly realized we did NOT want slides. I realize that plenty of people expect them, but would it really completely tank sales if there weren't any?
We also didn't want 'cardboard' walls. The last time we looked at a newer (2014) diesel model, the man knocked on the (hollow) bathroom walls and declared that the entire room was a 'fart resonator'.
Talk about things that will make a sales guy awkward....
Old 03-27-2016
Forum owner

Fart resonator!
Not thats funny!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-27-2016

Welcome Skylar. If you ever have a question we may be able to help. In the mean time, happy trails.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-27-2016

Hahaha thats a good one
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.