Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-09-2019
Forum owner

Default fogged up drivers window,LXI

The LXIs and the LXs have double pane/insulated windows on the front door and the drivers window.
THose windows,like all insulated windows get foggy over time,moisture getting between the glass sheets.

Theres several places around that can remove the windows and take them apart and clean and reseal them.
My windows are foggy and i had a spare window here that was foggy that i removed from a customers coach a long time ago.

So,i took it apart and took one of the sliding windows apart and one side of the glass fell right off of the glass spacer thats between the glass sheets.

On home insulated glass theres a spacer between the panes of glass,and in that spacer theres desiccant.

On the windows we have,the spacer is simply a spacer,its not filled with desiccant.
WE have what the professional glass guys call a 3 year window,or less.
Theres a local window maker here that builds high end glass,they build 30 year windows (i went to their shop yesterday and go a great education on insulated glass)

My local shop here sold me some spacers with desiccant.
I came home and cleaned the glass and using the new spacer assembled
the one test window i had ready.
Easy peasy.
They did tell me if i could put the window in an oven at 120 degrees it would help the windows seal.
My oven was not wide enough for that so i heated the oven to 25 degrees and stuck one end in the oven for a few minutes,then rotated the glass,sticking the other end in for a few minutes.

A handy person can do this at home,i was lucky that we have a window maker right here in town,and i could get new spacer with desiccant.
I could not find anyplace on line to buy the spacers.
It comes on a huge roll,like 2 sided tape.

I think the factory spacer could be reused ,it would need some kind of a sealer to seal it to the glass,and i bet thats what the window fixer guys do.
When i do the windows in my bus we will take lots of pics.

One more thing,i watched a youtube a while back and they showed a guy drilling a small hole in a window to remove the moisture.
Jim B was here and we tried it with a spare window i had (HAD).
Our windows are tempered glass,and you can drill it,as long as you stop before going all the way through!!
Once you go through the pane,the glass explodes into little pieces.
Just to make sure,Jim and i drilled two panes,with the same result.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-09-2019

That will go on my list.

Thanks

Buck Jackson
Dickinson, TX
2006 M450 Lxi
Old 03-09-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
That will go on my list.

Thanks
Maybe a window party?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-09-2019

Having paid big bucks to have mine done, I'm glad to see it can be done by us. Thanks for the pioneering effort.

Charlie Vaughn did a non opening window like the M380's and M450's on the pax side. Looks really nice. He decided not to do the later version of the driver's side even though the toll booth window is lower and more convenient because you cannot stick your head out when backing. I guess I'd agree. I like to look down and see where my front tire is.
Old 03-09-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Having paid big bucks to have mine done, I'm glad to see it can be done by us. Thanks for the pioneering effort.

Charlie Vaughn did a non opening window like the M380's and M450's on the pax side. Looks really nice. He decided not to do the later version of the driver's side even though the toll booth window is lower and more convenient because you cannot stick your head out when backing. I guess I'd agree. I like to look down and see where my front tire is.

I like windows that open,Molly rides all day with her head out of the pass window,she would be mad if the window did not open!
Carol handles the tolls from the 2nd window back,after all,shes in control of the money!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-10-2019

i am doing both side's this spring all supplies are available i plan on using CLR 777 butyl i have used it in the past,,the hard part will be getting windows out of the coach as some screws are tuff to get to in our coach i will replace those with hex headed screws.... if glass is etched on the inside i will polish them first to remove etching if its not to bad- don't think ours have the old style desiccant in spacer some of those did etch the glass if it got wet in there...
ps. CR laurence makes a silicone-urethane product(877) for sealing double pane glass i will buy some of it as i didn't know they made it...the world keeps turn'n and it may be a better product.
they sell glass spacer material as well
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.

Last edited by irmagoo; 03-10-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: new to me info
Old 03-10-2019

I never liked the LXI window arrangement anyway, so I replaced mine with the slider on the bottom like the 380's. Much easier when paying tolls. And I think it looks better as well.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 03-10-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmagoo View Post
i am doing both side's this spring all supplies are available i plan on using CLR 777 butyl i have used it in the past,,the hard part will be getting windows out of the coach as some screws are tuff to get to in our coach i will replace those with hex headed screws.... if glass is etched on the inside i will polish them first to remove etching if its not to bad- don't think ours have the old style desiccant in spacer some of those did etch the glass if it got wet in there...
ps. CR laurence makes a silicone-urethane product(877) for sealing double pane glass i will buy some of it as i didn't know they made it...the world keeps turn'n and it may be a better product.
they sell glass spacer material as well

Mike,i agree,the screws are hard to get too and i always buy hex head screws when it goes back together.
You will need 1/4 tape when you stick it back together.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-10-2019
Forum owner

I like to drive with the windows open,when we can.

Hey,this reminds me of that old schoolie i converted,i put one piece windows in the drivers area and on the pass side.
This was after i moved the door back.
I made tracks and put big windows in and made them power up and down,power windows in a schoolie!
And i use air to raise and lower them.
Fabco made me some long air cylinders and control valves and i used GM window switches.
Way cool!!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-11-2019

good thing you figured out a process. I just got off the phone this am with the RVFog Dr in Seircy Arkansas. had to send them pics of my drivers window inside and out. He said the glass is etched too bad and they aren't doing these in the bluebirds anymore
1999 Blue Bird 43LXi
Body # F123448
Chassis # 84788