Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 09-12-2019
Debugjaws Debugjaws is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newberg
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhodes View Post
No, all DDEC engines are electronic controlled so there is something his computer is seeing to tell the injectors to add additional fuel at idle which is why he needs to see if there are any codes registered, clean all the plugs as suggested or even may need to upgrade his EPROM Stabilizer kit in the computer to the last version #154 if it hasn't been done.


https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detroit-Die...ox!34952!US!-1
Thanks Barry. I'll check for the codes, and will clean the plugs. I'll also check the eprom version.
__________________
Gerry Lefebvre
Newberg, Oregon
91 WB 40'
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-16-2019
Debugjaws Debugjaws is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newberg
Posts: 189
Default

Barry - yesterday as we were getting ready for our trip, the engine was idling and slowly revving higher. I lifted the fuel peddle and tapped on the side of the throttle positioning sensor, and the idle dropped right back to its normal idle @ ~650 RPM. I'm thinking I found the culprit.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhodes View Post
No, all DDEC engines are electronic controlled so there is something his computer is seeing to tell the injectors to add additional fuel at idle which is why he needs to see if there are any codes registered, clean all the plugs as suggested or even may need to upgrade his EPROM Stabilizer kit in the computer to the last version #154 if it hasn't been done.


https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detroit-Die...ox!34952!US!-1
__________________
Gerry Lefebvre
Newberg, Oregon
91 WB 40'
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-16-2019
brhodes's Avatar
brhodes brhodes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Port St. Lucie
Posts: 1,674
Default

Good catch, try a little lubricant on the hinge of the pedal being careful not to get it on the electronic reostat.
Then disconnect the plug and get some CRC Electronics Cleaner from the automotive section of Walmart and spray both sides of the contacts ie: reostat and plug ends and see how she responds then.
If the problem continues, you will need a new reostat.


Throttle Position Sensor Pedal DDEC II

Williams Controls 131140
Volvo Part Number 8066395

5526 DDEC II
For use on 359593, 359594, 359595 and all pedals with DDEC II engines.

Replaces Volvo 3133491
__________________
Barry & Mary Rhodes
Port St. Lucie, FL.
1990 WB 40 "Northern Lights"
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com

Last edited by brhodes; 09-16-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-17-2019
Debugjaws Debugjaws is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newberg
Posts: 189
Default

OK. What about opening up the metal enclosure under the pedal and spraying to clean in there. Were you inferring that regarding the rheostat? Seems like it's more than likely located there.

Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhodes View Post
Good catch, try a little lubricant on the hinge of the pedal being careful not to get it on the electronic reostat.
Then disconnect the plug and get some CRC Electronics Cleaner from the automotive section of Walmart and spray both sides of the contacts ie: reostat and plug ends and see how she responds then.
If the problem continues, you will need a new reostat.


Throttle Position Sensor Pedal DDEC II

Williams Controls 131140
Volvo Part Number 8066395

5526 DDEC II
For use on 359593, 359594, 359595 and all pedals with DDEC II engines.

Replaces Volvo 3133491
__________________
Gerry Lefebvre
Newberg, Oregon
91 WB 40'
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-17-2019
brhodes's Avatar
brhodes brhodes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Port St. Lucie
Posts: 1,674
Default

Clean all dirt and dust from the hinge area and lubricate it with a good lubricant.


Disconnect the plug from the pedal and using CRC Electronics Cleaner, spray both to ensure they are clean.


operate the pedal by hand with the engine off to ensure the pedal is releasing completely and then see how she responds when running.


If it is still acting up. order a new reostat from the parts lists I show above and replace it. You may then need to have a code reader to ensure the computer is seeing the correct counts when ideling as well at full throttle.
__________________
Barry & Mary Rhodes
Port St. Lucie, FL.
1990 WB 40 "Northern Lights"
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-18-2019
Debugjaws Debugjaws is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newberg
Posts: 189
Default

Cleaned the connectors, cleaned and lubed the pedal. Seems to operate fine for now, but the problem is intermittent. I went ahead and ordered a new TPS off of eBay. We'll be traveling ~400 miles this weekend. If it's going to act up it will be then for sure. I'll keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhodes View Post
Clean all dirt and dust from the hinge area and lubricate it with a good lubricant.


Disconnect the plug from the pedal and using CRC Electronics Cleaner, spray both to ensure they are clean.


operate the pedal by hand with the engine off to ensure the pedal is releasing completely and then see how she responds when running.


If it is still acting up. order a new reostat from the parts lists I show above and replace it. You may then need to have a code reader to ensure the computer is seeing the correct counts when ideling as well at full throttle.
__________________
Gerry Lefebvre
Newberg, Oregon
91 WB 40'
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-18-2019
Randy Dupree's Avatar
Randy Dupree Randy Dupree is offline
Forum owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port St Joe,Fl
Posts: 35,626
Default

Check and see what kind of screws hold the TPS to the pedal,mine are torx heads.
My pedal is so close to the console i had to use a torx bit for a drill driver and a small wrench to turn the bit.
If you remove the rubber pad on the pedal its eaiser to get to the screws too.
__________________
DO NOT SEND PM
email me at randy@randydupree.com only.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-21-2019
Debugjaws Debugjaws is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newberg
Posts: 189
Default

Drove 100+ miles yesterday, Enterprise OR., to Pendleton OR. No instances of the surge at idle, in drive or neutral. We make the 230 mile drive tomorrow to home and will provide status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debugjaws View Post
Cleaned the connectors, cleaned and lubed the pedal. Seems to operate fine for now, but the problem is intermittent. I went ahead and ordered a new TPS off of eBay. We'll be traveling ~400 miles this weekend. If it's going to act up it will be then for sure. I'll keep you posted.
__________________
Gerry Lefebvre
Newberg, Oregon
91 WB 40'
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-25-2019
Debugjaws Debugjaws is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newberg
Posts: 189
Default

Finished a 200+ mile final segment on Sunday with no further incidents. It appears as if the cleaning has solved the issue. New TPS arrived today. I'll decide if I'm going to install, or hold on to it for when the existing one does fail.

Thanks for all the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debugjaws View Post
Drove 100+ miles yesterday, Enterprise OR., to Pendleton OR. No instances of the surge at idle, in drive or neutral. We make the 230 mile drive tomorrow to home and will provide status.
__________________
Gerry Lefebvre
Newberg, Oregon
91 WB 40'
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-25-2019
brhodes's Avatar
brhodes brhodes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Port St. Lucie
Posts: 1,674
Default

Good to hear Gerry.

Like Randy said, check the screws holding the rheostat to make sure you have the tool required in your tool kit if and when you need to change it while on the road.
__________________
Barry & Mary Rhodes
Port St. Lucie, FL.
1990 WB 40 "Northern Lights"
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
12 V intermittent failure. toolmaker Electrical 11 04-28-2019 01:14 PM
1992 Detroit with loud intermittent grind at idle tnraggie Vehicle Issues 9 08-21-2017 08:47 AM
weird starting idle problem 8v92 rwoody Engine 5 09-03-2013 06:22 PM
INTERMITTENT HIGH IDLE KCSS Engine 0 08-27-2012 11:22 PM
87 FC Intermittent Wiper Controller rick87fc35 FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) 10 03-09-2011 02:51 AM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.