Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions

Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions Sometimes as we travel throughout the country it may help to know what the current Highway, Road and Weather conditions are. Here is a good place to list current conditions and also good and bad roads that you have found in your travels You will also find here links to all of the USA road conditions and Weather Forecast and Radar condition web sites.

Site Search:

Old 10-08-2019

Default Bad weather on my path, need words of wisdom!

Leaving WA for NE tomorrow morning! Hwy 90 and 25 (southeast WY and southwest NE) will reach temperature of 19 or lower. So questions are:

1- I can park it and not drive on snow but don’t know how the coach will handle low freezing temperatures. Any thing I should do before I leave?
2- should I change path and drive a lot more to go south and around?
3-if I decide to go through, is running the engine at night will help keep liquid in its natural state? I remember in the old country diesels ran the engine overnight in freezing temps- fuel was the cheapest solution! What is fuel usage at idle for 8V92?

I am not in a hurry so I can park it and not drive in snow or freezing temps but I am not sure about the coach! Never been there and have not done that!

Anyhow, any and all comments are welcome, even the sarcastic ones! After all laughter is the best solution to all problems-or something like that!
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 10-08-2019

Default Have cold weather additive in your fuel.

Hi, a common additive is Howes:

https://www.google.com/search?q=howe...EW&pie=plaji-i

Truck drivers with over 25 years experience, like the Howes.
Cat 3208TA
Old 10-08-2019
Administrator

keep the generator running 24/7, domestic water may freeze. if you have the time, drive South stay away from below freezing temps. if this is your first long trip this Ole Bird will be tested in snow, ice, low temps.
Old 10-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
keep the generator running 24/7, domestic water may freeze. if you have the time, drive South stay away from below freezing temps. if this is your first long trip this Ole Bird will be tested in snow, ice, low temps.
Thank you Bill, good words of wisdom! I think I’m going to head out in an hour or so and go south on 15 and skirt the nasty weather system. I will add a lot more mile to the trip but hopefully avoid freezing temperatures.

I will post progress!
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 10-08-2019

I have driven, and stayed in the bus, in freezing temps several times. The bus drives fine in the snow, but I try to avoid it. In some states you are supposed to carry chains, I carry them, I have never used them. If I had to chain up, it would be to get to a place to wait out the storm.
My aquahot works fine keeping the coach, and the basement warm. The plumbing is fine if you heat the coach. I put washer fluid in the shower P trap, as I think it could be subject to freezing. We use the shower, then add the fluid again.
If it is below freezing, the aquahot will run a lot, using battery power. The few times we have boon docked in freezing temps I run the generator all night, and heat the coach with the electric heaters. Aquahot electric heats the basement, and I have 4 built in electric heaters.
At night when you have stopped, stuff two pillows, one each side of the steering column, where the drivers feet go. That area of the coach has almost no insulation, the pillows really help.
I have thermopane windows, which really help. Buy a role of the silver bubble insulation from HD. Put it across the front window at night, also cover other windows if you do not have thermopane windows.
If you park at night, try to not park on snow. If you do it will likely be ice under the drive wheels in the morning. Be very careful in the morning to not spin your tires on ice, carry some salt to melt ice in this situation. You do not want to tear up your rear end by spinning tires and then hitting dry pavement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190213_074208.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	64572  
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 10-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmarycamilleri View Post
I have driven, and stayed in the bus, in freezing temps several times. The bus drives fine in the snow, but I try to avoid it. In some states you are supposed to carry chains, I carry them, I have never used them. If I had to chain up, it would be to get to a place to wait out the storm.
My aquahot works fine keeping the coach, and the basement warm. The plumbing is fine if you heat the coach. I put washer fluid in the shower P trap, as I think it could be subject to freezing. We use the shower, then add the fluid again.
If it is below freezing, the aquahot will run a lot, using battery power. The few times we have boon docked in freezing temps I run the generator all night, and heat the coach with the electric heaters. Aquahot electric heats the basement, and I have 4 built in electric heaters.
At night when you have stopped, stuff two pillows, one each side of the steering column, where the drivers feet go. That area of the coach has almost no insulation, the pillows really help.
I have thermopane windows, which really help. Buy a role of the silver bubble insulation from HD. Put it across the front window at night, also cover other windows if you do not have thermopane windows.
If you park at night, try to not park on snow. If you do it will likely be ice under the drive wheels in the morning. Be very careful in the morning to not spin your tires on ice, carry some salt to melt ice in this situation. You do not want to tear up your rear end by spinning tires and then hitting dry pavement.
Thank you Peter, I am hoping to avoid freezing temps and dive around the weather! Appreciate the tips, learned new tricks, pillows, insulation for windows not stopping on ice!
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 10-08-2019

Shahin. That cold front is supposed to be for 2 days. We ate even getting that mess in Manitoba
You could wait a few days
where it is warmer. We have traveled in various coaches with weather as low as 15. Never had a frozen
water line
Keep all your heaters going. We also carry 2 portable electric heaters. At night leave the cupboard doors by the sinks open. Dont close the bathroom door. Do you have warm clothing. Might be needed if there is a lot of snow. Have you ever driven in snow?

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 10-08-2019

As semi retired truckers all the above is 2nd nature and you forget other people might not know. Great reminders!
ADD FUEL ADDITIVE antigel "Howes" or "Power Service" are available at Walmart half the price than truckstops. Add before fueling for good mix in tank.

We picked up our Bird last January in Michigan during a blizzard. Not winterized but Aquahot going it survived minus 40 F outside, cranked and drove at minus 20 F. No problem driving in the snow and ice but salt and brine will destroy (rust) the underside (I am still crying).

Leaving the 8V92 idling is NOT recommended. First you would have to speed the rpm's up if you do. Probably would use 1 Gal/hr?
Make sure you have an engine preheat and use it, even at 30-40 F, it cranks easier.

Your coach systems should be ok (I 2nd the pink stuff in the shower drain - froze on in a Beaver MH), empty your black and grey water.
Take your time, rather a minute of embarrassment than a lifetime of regret.

1999 BB custom 33' 8.3 Cummins
2002 Toyhauler 7.3 diesel
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thank you all for great suggestions and sharing your experiences! I left Couer D’Alene at 8 and instead of going down 25 from 90, I took 15 down and right now in Idaho Falls. Just finished a Rocky Mountain Kolsch and tomorrow is another day!

Happy Trails,
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I'm real close to you. I'm on hwy 89 at Gardiner. Wind is real bad. It will be interesting to see how Wednesday is
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.