Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-17-2010

Jim, You are asking questions that I for one would be most uncomfortable answering. What I can tell you is most areas under my FC is accessible with out stands or ramps. The air system is normally down and the leveling is up when I crawl around under there so there is no danger of it falling.

I don't have a concrete pad to place jack stands even if I had the proper jack stands. I do have home made ramps but try not to use them.

To ask what rate jack stand your would be be best served to ask the people you buy from. Give them the total weight of your bus and let them tell you what you need.

I want to help and in fact enjoy doing so. However, am not willing to advise anyone on something that could get them hurt or worse. Keep it on the ground and let the pros do the heavy work.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656

Last edited by Rick; 03-17-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added sentence
Old 03-17-2010
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
I have seen several posts where fellows have talked about WOOD supports. Very scary.
...I'm a little puzzled by Harvies comment regarding axle support as I place my stands there, using a floor jack to elevate the coach @ the rear axle banjo housing and center of front axle. Rear up first then front, roll floor jack in from rear under mud flap, haven't had any scary moments raising or lowering. Use 4 20ton stands.
Could it be that Jim Harvie is saying the coach needs to be supported under the suspension frame if it is elevated (airbags up)? If the coach is up high on the suspension, the axle remains stable on the wheels and tires that are on the ground. Therefore, the suspended coach, not the axle, need the support if you are working under the suspended coach while the axle, wheels and tires are on the ground.

I'm sure Jim will clarify when he reads this.

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 03-17-2010

Maybe there are some useful tools to be found here for working on/under our buses:

http://www.thomashaywardauctioneers....ess-a24169.php
VB 1570
Old 03-17-2010

Bill, This illustrates the concerns. We all interpret what we read based on our experience. background and understanding. I interpret the concern about not blocking the frame as you do that if the coach is aired up. However, I also see that by supporting the axle only the coach could (or is more likely to ) shift and fall off of the axle stands. I guess what I would do is to do both. Jim WILL have to expand. Perhaps all of my interpretation is off.

I have lots of issues. A drive that finding a level spot is difficult. Pavement that really is not nearly thick enough. It goes on and on. I do have a shop about a mile from home with a pit. I think I've made a pretty hard and fast rule for myself. There is no reason a short, fat , bald, old, out of shape dentist like me needs to be under a bus or running a chain saw or chasing young woman. But other then that I am pretty free to come and go as I like.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 03-17-2010
davidmbrady

Folks,

Here's a snippet from Blue Bird's "2003 LTC-40 Service Manual" which is basically the LX and LXi chassis:

Old 03-17-2010
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

John,

I agree with all you say. Could be two fundamentally different support issues being discussed here and these most definitely need to be clarified. Are they ????

1: lifting and supporting the entire coach including the axles,wheels and tires.

2: lifting and supporting the coach under its fully extended suspension and leaving the axles wheels and tires on the ground.

Looks like what David posted above rules out both. ONLY SUPPORT ON FRAME RAILS? Boy if this is true, every shop I have been to so far did not use this method.

We better get this right.

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
There is no reason a short, fat , bald, old, out of shape dentist like me needs to be under a bus or running a chain saw or chasing young woman. But other then that I am pretty free to come and go as I like.
Aw....my mom always used to tell my dad (college professor almost 20 years older than she is!) that he could "look", but not touch the pretty girls on campus. As a matter of fact she encouraged it to "keep his eyesight" up to snuff...!
VB 1570
Old 03-17-2010

Nother thing that deserves a reminder. Yesterday I started the bus inside the storage garage and while I thought I was being careful with ventilation etc. I did get a pretty good whiff of smoke and today I have a pretty nasty sore throat and cough which I relate to that smoke. Needless to say I will be much more careful about THAT in the future. There is more then one way you can screw yourself big time with one of these machines.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 03-17-2010

Ok let me clarify:
Unless I'm pulling the wheels, I support the frame. If I'm pulling the wheels then absolutely I support the axle as well.
Sorry for the confusion.
If an airbag or airline blows, and only the axle is supported, having jackstands only under the axle, will do me no good.
I feel the same as everyone else as far as liability goes, so this is the way I do it, and I'm not suggesting anyone else follows suit.
Old 03-17-2010
Campground Owner

I had a 6x6 pine block 1-1/2 ft long fail under the weight of the bus. Fortunately I was not under the bus. I had jacked the bus, and made a cribing pile log cabin style under the frame, with one 6X6 on the top row. I had let the jack down to allow the weight to settle on the cribbing, the left the jack under the axle. About 1 hour latter, the 6x6 split lenthwise, allowing the bus to drop onto the jack. It didn't come all the way down, but I was suprised by the failure of the 6x6.
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W