Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 06-18-2012

I have a couple questions

Of the 88 or so M380 produced how many slide seals have been replaced and how many have been patched?

Is there a problem with the seal?

Has any one given consideration to the oem producer of the seal?

you may find a wealth of information they are a major US company producing Rubber Products of all types and have been around for over a hundred years

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 06-19-2012
davidmbrady

Thanks everyone! It's looking like we have enough interest to get the job off the ground. The idea of implementing improvements into the new seal is still on the table. Also, I don't know if the M380 uses the same seal profile and retainer on both the living room and bedroom slides. As far as I know, DRI's setup charge is still $1500 - I need to verify this. I noticed that the retainer uses a molded corner whereas the air seal does not. Since the retainer isn't a wear component maybe we can get away with manufacturing only the air seal bladder portion (see previous pics). If we can do just the air seal, unmodified from original, the price should be quite good. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2012

I'm currently in Alaska, but will be happy to contribute when we return late in August.
Old 06-20-2012

Anyone know the price of the OEM seal...any inherent problems with them that can be improved on, or is it a good design as is?
Old 06-20-2012
davidmbrady

Robert,

The M380 seal that I have in my possession shows good slide body contact around the entire seal and there are no obvious sings of buckling in the corners. The seal exhibits wear marks which indicate good contact. Now whether all M380's are like this, I don't know. I'm interested in any feedback from owners as to how well their seals fit. I did receive word from Chuck Millsap and his seal fits as described above.

In answer to Stephen's questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Of the 88 or so M380 produced how many slide seals have been replaced and how many have been patched?
Don't know, but they are a wear item and they have a lifetime.
Quote:
Is there a problem with the seal?
Trying to figure that out.
Quote:
Has any one given consideration to the oem producer of the seal?
I haven't.
Old 06-20-2012

Default M380 seal

Stephen: Who is the OEM producer of the seal and how much to they want for a seal?

David: Our rear seal wiper is getting cracks in it. The seal is still good, but the wipers with hats are starting to crack. So sooner or later we will have to replace both. We are very appreciative of all you are doing for the M380 owners.
Missouri
Old 07-05-2012

Quote: Thanks everyone! It's looking like we have enough interest to get the job off the ground. The idea of implementing improvements into the new seal is still on the table. Also, I don't know if the M380 uses the same seal profile and retainer on both the living room and bedroom slides. As far as I know, DRI's setup charge is still $1500 - I need to verify this. I noticed that the retainer uses a molded corner whereas the air seal does not. Since the retainer isn't a wear component maybe we can get away with manufacturing only the air seal bladder portion (see previous pics). If we can do just the air seal, unmodified from original, the price should be quite good. Thanks!

David,
According to Johnny Anderson and from my personal experience, the retainer must be removed from the coach in order to unite the retainer with the bladder. Removing the retainer from the coach without damage is difficult, but can be done. Perhaps seals could be offered with and without the retainer? If not I think the bladder and the retainer should be manufactured and assembled by the manufacturer.
As for new improvements, in order to prevent rust problems the air fitting and it’s associated parts (nut and washer) need to be brass or stainless or a combination.
Old 10-11-2012
davidmbrady

I need to apologize to the folks here on this thread. I've been so busy lately I dropped the ball on this initiative. Now that Roger Anderson of DRI is a member of WOG, this is a good time to get this effort going again. The idea would be to extrude an air seal for the M380. As you can see in the previous pictures I posted, the seal system is composed of two pieces; it consists of a retainer and an air bladder. The bladder doesn't use preformed corners whereas the retainer does. This means the tooling setup costs would be $1500 for the bladder but considerably more for the retainer. I propose that we start with simply reproducing the bladder. Roger has a sample of the seal on his desk at DRI. We can get this started right away if we can confirm interest. I have the following ten folks signed up for a $150 contribution per person. It'd be great if these folks would confirm their interest. If other folks would like to voice their interest in contributing, that'd be great too! Thanks, sorry for the delay.

Robert Britton
Chuck Millsap
Doc&Linda
Andre Vincent
Marv Wheeler
Dan & Cindy
Garry Hoover
Eric Lundquist
Jim Brookshire
Joe Crocker
Old 10-11-2012

Smile

I'm still in. Where do I send my $150.00 Check ?

Eric Lundquist
2004 M380
Old 10-11-2012
cmillsap

David,

I'm still in but I think a little more input as to the advantages of developing our own seal is in order. I believe the present seal is a good design except the seal walls need to be thicker. I say this only because of the bits and pieces of information I have gathered from others who have experienced a leaking slide seal on a M380. It appears that the seal failures are due to abrasions from the slide movement or because the seal was stuck to the slide and was stretched and ruptured during the slides movement.

In looking at the seal as it mates to the retainer, it would appear that the retainer would need to be removed in order to insert the seal into it as it looks like one side of the retainer would have to be bent backwards in order to get the seal’s foot into the space for it on the retainer. That probably will result in some of the retainers and the corner pieces being damaged during the removal and reassembly process.

If we only develop the seal; we would need to go back to the OEM for replacement retainers if and when we damage one. That may be a problem. So I would suggest if we are going to develop a better seal; we probably should develop all the parts needed to assemble it. As Joe said above, it would appear to me that the seal should be mated to the retainer by the manufacturer with the corner retainer pieces being located on the assembly in their correct locations.

I do not know who the OEM is, nor do I know what a replacement slide seal assembly costs from the OEM and I do not know how readily available they are. Also, it would be good to know the failure rate of the OEM seal. If anyone has that information, please post it here so we can get some idea of the economics involved.

I am not sure how the retainer is fastened to the opening walls but guessing that an adhesive is used as there is no place for fasteners other than under the foot.

Chuck