Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 01-11-2013

Default 4 rules in life that I just learned

Learned these rules today. Guess it goes to show that you CAN teach an old dog...something.

#1. NEVER trust your fuel gage to tell you the truth ("sure, go ahead one more stop...you still have 1/4 tank").
#2. ALWAYS carry ether.
#3. When the tow truck driver has your gonads in a vice...there is NO room for negotiation of price
#4. There are some mechanics that will fix your stuff for a fair price.

<Dennie - on his way to Phoenix with his '76>
Republic of Texas
Amateur Radio (KC4QNW) - General Class
"When you change yourself, others will change"

Last edited by EagleOne; 01-11-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2013

Well... at least you did not have anyone saying "I told you so!" when you went by the station!

Hope the rest of this delivery trip goes as planned! Safe traveling.
the (SLO-CAN) :
Old 01-12-2013
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
Learned these rules today. Guess it goes to show that you CAN teach an old dog...something.

#1. NEVER trust your fuel gage to tell you the truth ("sure, go ahead one more stop...you still have 1/4 tank").
#2. ALWAYS carry ether.
#3. When the tow truck driver has your gonads in a vice...there is NO room for negotiation of price

Hey Dennie.. here's an easy one.. NEVER start a trip without a FULL TANK!

Seriously.... You should keep your tank as full as possible while stored just to prevent algae! A full tank keeps the air and moisture out that algae needs to grow.

But you're right.. Never to late to learn new tricks.. now make sure your new bus is FULL too!
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 01-12-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post

#2. ALWAYS carry ether.

OOPS,, Dennie I feel your pain, No-one is hurt, just keep on going forward.
Old 01-12-2013
Former Bird Owner

Rule #1 is the first rule I learned when I was studying to be a private pilot.

But the corollary is to start with a full tank. As noted, storing a coach with a nearly full tank eliminates/reduces condensation in the tank (less space for moist air to enter the vent into the tank). It takes moisture and air to allow growth of algae. (I never used and algaecide in my coach -- and there were never any sign of algae.)

Rule #2 would be less likely to be needed, if rule #1 had been followed (with a fill-up prior to going on the road). I note that I once made a blunder and got an air-bubble in the fuel line on my S-60 engine. A bit of ether was invaluable for getting it to re-start, as the fuel pump could not clear the air gap powered by the starter motor alone.

The "ultimate solution" for the air in fuel line problem was suggested as adding an electric fuel pump at/near the tank to maintain positive fuel pressure under all circumstances. The service provider gave me his newly opened ether can -- which I carried for more than 2 years -- and never used it again. (Having learned about blundering when fiddling with fuel filters and their effect on the fuel line.)

Numbers 3 and 4 could be less of a problem if you have an emergency road service contract with either Coach Net or Good Sam ERS. My fuel line blunder was solved by a service call to GS-ERS ... and the service provider got me going for a very small fee.

Another point, made by Randy and others, is to use Automatic Transmission Fluid instead of diesel fuel when filling a filter with "fuel" (to avoid a fuel line air gap). This is another good idea, as ATF can be purchased in modest size containers (gallon jugs) and as long as the container is sealed, no contaminate can enter it. I carried diesel fuel in a 3-1/2 gallon container -- and it always seemed to stink of diesel, adding an unwanted "eau de diesel" scent note to my basement compartment. Note that "official" diesel fuel containers are usually yellow in color, while red is (supposed to) designate gasoline.

I hope your experiences improve in the future. Each of us have many "lessons learned" from dealing with minor (and a few major) disasters with our 'birds.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteaeonix View Post
Yep first rule of three things that don't help - fuel at the pump, air above you and runway behind you.
Blue Bird Maps 156
Old 01-12-2013
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Yea.. when it comes to the bus keep it full, start full. You'll NEVER run it dry in a day. Actually we should start a special club for those that can!

Now, Planes... You're rules are for "normal" planes...

When skydiving it's keep the tank as empty as possible so we can handle the overloaded plane stripped of all essentials, seats, insulation, panels, etc.. just full of skydivers! They use to dip a wood stick in the fuel tank before each flight..

I'm not sure which was scarier? That or knowing the year the plane was built? Was fun though watching all the cables moving when he flew...
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 01-12-2013

Yep, the only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire!!
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 01-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteaeonix View Post
I know, the same rule I was taught when I was studying to be a private pilot...years ago. Guess I forgot that one. Never again. Just seems to cost more when you are filling it up from almost empty...OUCH!

But the corollary is to start with a full tank. As noted, storing a coach with a nearly full tank eliminates/reduces condensation in the tank (less space for moist air to enter the vent into the tank). It takes moisture and air to allow growth of algae. (I never used and algaecide in my coach -- and there were never any sign of algae.)

Rule #2 would be less likely to be needed, if rule #1 had been followed (with a fill-up prior to going on the road). I note that I once made a blunder and got an air-bubble in the fuel line on my S-60 engine. A bit of ether was invaluable for getting it to re-start, as the fuel pump could not clear the air gap powered by the starter motor alone.

The "ultimate solution" for the air in fuel line problem was suggested as adding an electric fuel pump at/near the tank to maintain positive fuel pressure under all circumstances. The service provider gave me his newly opened ether can -- which I carried for more than 2 years -- and never used it again. (Having learned about blundering when fiddling with fuel filters and their effect on the fuel line.)

Numbers 3 and 4 could be less of a problem if you have an emergency road service contract with either Coach Net or Good Sam ERS. My fuel line blunder was solved by a service call to GS-ERS ... and the service provider got me going for a very small fee.
Have a service contract with Coach-Net. They told me that if it was a fuel problem, and not a mechanical failure, that I could submit the receipt and the would refund the price of the wrecker. If it is a fuel problem (no matter that the fuel gauge is incorrect), they do not pay for the tow.

Another point, made by Randy and others, is to use Automatic Transmission Fluid instead of diesel fuel when filling a filter with "fuel" (to avoid a fuel line air gap). This is another good idea, as ATF can be purchased in modest size containers (gallon jugs) and as long as the container is sealed, no contaminate can enter it. I carried diesel fuel in a 3-1/2 gallon container -- and it always seemed to stink of diesel, adding an unwanted "eau de diesel" scent note to my basement compartment. Note that "official" diesel fuel containers are usually yellow in color, while red is (supposed to) designate gasoline.

I hope your experiences improve in the future. Each of us have many "lessons learned" from dealing with minor (and a few major) disasters with our 'birds.
=====================
I learned quite a bit from this experience. Hard (expensive) lessons.
<D>
Republic of Texas
Amateur Radio (KC4QNW) - General Class
"When you change yourself, others will change"