Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 06-11-2013

Default Powertech Generator Insulation

While doing routine maintenance on my generator it became obvious I had a fuel line leak that had saturated the insulation in the generator housing as well as the insulation on the gen compartment door. Looking for replacement material. What I have now is a 1-1/2" foam type material with a high density layer and a reflective aluminum coating on one side. Anyone know of a good source for this type of insulating/sound deadening stuff? I've found a source on the web and they're asking $230 for a 4-1/2 X 6 foot sheet of 2 lb per sq foot material they say is the right stuff for a diesel application. Seems pricey and is quite a bit more than I need.
1984 FC35 SB Wanderlodge II (sold)
Old 06-11-2013
Goat rails in the sunset

I bought some insulation sheets from DUPREE PRODUCTS (Steve Birtles, he is on the WOG, his store has a website).

The really determined insulators a while back found a fireproof melamine foam with three layers--the claim for this stuff is that it blocks sound, aborbs sound, and decouples the compartment walls/ceiling from the sound. I don't think it was as expensive as what you're looking at. Try googling some of those keywords (melamine, decouple, sound, etc) and maybe you can turn up a pricelist for comparison.

Good luck! We'll be interested in hearing back about what you decide to go with.

--Ned
Full-time in 2019
Old 06-12-2013

I went to Mc Master/Carr and used 2 types of material for the different areas I was working with. They should have a def. on the uses of each material.
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 06-12-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Here's a post of mine from last year and everything is still the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I insulated and sound deadened mine in 2007 and it is still in good shape, with only a couple of the Auralex foam panels coming loose on one edge and only needing an application of the 3M Hi-Strength Adhesive around the edges and put back in place, I also installed long screws and fender washers through the insulation on the roof of the compartment

Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Parts Wanted > engine compartment insulation

I have used both, the JC Whitney in the engine doghouse cover and the Dupree insulation in the generator compartment, the Dupree Insulation at that time had a adhesive coating on the back that I also used the 3M spray adhesive on top of. They may have changed the insulation since 2005 but mine is still in there working great, I did use screw and fender washer on the ceiling of the generator compartment to help hold the panel of insulation to the ceiling area after the picture below was taken.

I later added more sound absorbing Auralex foam to quiet things down even more in the generator compartment.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-27-2013

Default Powertech Gen & Compartment Door Insulation

As requested, here are the materials I used for this job:
2 lb/sq ft, 1 inch thick insulation from Soundrite Acoustics
4 inch wide aluminum tape from Soundrite Acoustics
Aluminum anchors and hardware from Soundrite Acoustics
Bostick spray adhesive also from Soundrite Acoustics

These folks were knowledgeable and easy to work with. The insulation is sold in 4.5 X 6 foot panels which means no splicing on the main compartment door. They recommended the 2 lb/sq ft material for diesel engine compartments. Sealing the edges of the insulation with the aluminum tape will help prevent future deterioration from oil. Hopefully, after replacing all of the fuel lines, that should not be a problem for a good while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator Compartment Door.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	23229  
Old 06-27-2013
Goat rails in the sunset

Nice that they were tuned into the diesel engine room sound and had a product ready for you. Does 1" thickness do what you wanted? At 2lbs/foot X 1", it ought to be about as dense as wood?!

--Ned
Full-time in 2019
Old 06-27-2013

These guys sell quite a range of products. They have a 1 lb/sq ft, 1 inch panel they recommend for gasoline engines because of the different sound frequency. I think the 1 inch thickness, 2 lb/sq ft was the best choice for my installation because it conformed to the spaces available in the generator cabinet and on the compartment door. I used epoxy cement to anchor the metal spikes to the sheet metal surfaces in addition to the spray on adhesive. The Soundrite folks were adamant that I shouldn't just use the spray on adhesive alone to hold this stuff in place. Part of this may be due to the weight of the insulation. I think this will give me a more robust system that will last longer. Generator sounds good with the new stuff in place. Don't have any sound measurements for comparison.
Old 06-27-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBERIC35 View Post
These guys sell quite a range of products. They have a 1 lb/sq ft, 1 inch panel they recommend for gasoline engines because of the different sound frequency. I think the 1 inch thickness, 2 lb/sq ft was the best choice for my installation because it conformed to the spaces available in the generator cabinet and on the compartment door. I used epoxy cement to anchor the metal spikes to the sheet metal surfaces in addition to the spray on adhesive. The Soundrite folks were adamant that I shouldn't just use the spray on adhesive alone to hold this stuff in place. Part of this may be due to the weight of the insulation. I think this will give me a more robust system that will last longer. Generator sounds good with the new stuff in place. Don't have any sound measurements for comparison.

Eric,

Bring it to the WOG rally and we can have a sound off contest

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-28-2013
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBERIC35 View Post
While doing routine maintenance on my generator it became obvious I had a fuel line leak that had saturated the insulation in the generator housing as well as the insulation on the gen compartment door. Looking for replacement material. What I have now is a 1-1/2" foam type material with a high density layer and a reflective aluminum coating on one side. Anyone know of a good source for this type of insulating/sound deadening stuff? I've found a source on the web and they're asking $230 for a 4-1/2 X 6 foot sheet of 2 lb per sq foot material they say is the right stuff for a diesel application. Seems pricey and is quite a bit more than I need.
Eric if you need it right away and are near a boatyard go check them out. Marine yards usually have the insulation you are looking for.
Old 06-28-2013

we have insulation in Stock
please check our website

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact