Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-19-2013
Geek

Default Power transfer problem, shore/gen/inverter

I have just completed an install of a Freedom SW3012 inverter, with control panel and auto-gen-start module. The inverter/charger are working normally except as noted below. The AGS will start and shut down the generator correctly. In the process of testing I ran into a problem that I can't tell whether it existed with the old inverter or not, because the condtions were never tested.

Conditions:
Inverter/charger on
Shore power attached (50A)
Generator started (either with AGS, or with manual switch) and reaches normal conditions to produce AC power.

Result:
Both 30-amp inverter breakers on the main inside panel pop, so there is no charging going on. Inverter continues to run, providing power to inverter-enabled items.

Resetting the two breakers results in normal operation, unaffected by turning the 50A shore breakers on/off/on. Turning the shore breakers on in that case is not a problem. Power switches back to shore when the generator finishes running, no problem.

Starting the generator with shore breakers off results in normal service - inverter switches to charge as soon as the generator warmup ends and it produces AC.

I don't know if this is something new, or something that happened with my inverter install. Regardless, even though I may not experience the conditions again, I'm not happy having something work incorrectly, so I'm looking for advice as to where to look for the problem.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 06-19-2013

Just curious, have you tried the same scenario with the inverter turned off. In other words turn the inverter portion off at the remote panel so that it is in only the charger mode during the a/c power change over?
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 06-19-2013
Geek

Good idea. I will try it tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2013
Geek

So I tried it with the inverter off, and there was no problem. I followed that up with another test with the inverter on, and again no problem, so I have a non-repeatable problem! Somebody's law.
Old 06-20-2013

Don, Make sure that you are not feeding shore power to the inverter output, you can check by disconnecting the inverter line out and checking for voltage on the disconnected wire with shore power on and inverter breakers on. It sounds like there is 120 from shore power and 120 from the inverter mixing and tripping the breakers. The inverter won't last long if that's the case.

Chris Blegen
La Crosse, WI
1989 SP36 Silver Edition
Old 06-20-2013
Geek

I didn't list all of the things I tried, but one of them had the inverter output disconnected, and the breakers still tripped when the generator kicked in. Today the breakers don't trip no matter what I do.

The M380 inverter output goes to a three-way switch: inverter, off, and pass-through. Easy to disconnect the inverter output.

Xantrex thinks something is faulty with my transfer relay (not the one in the inverter, of course)!
Old 06-20-2013
cmillsap

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
I didn't list all of the things I tried, but one of them had the inverter output disconnected, and the breakers still tripped when the generator kicked in. Today the breakers don't trip no matter what I do.

The M380 inverter output goes to a three-way switch: inverter, off, and pass-through. Easy to disconnect the inverter output.

Xantrex thinks something is faulty with my transfer relay (not the one in the inverter, of course)!
Don,

You might want to check the relays in the ATS and particurarly at the terminal board above the relays. I had to do an "on the road" repair there. There were loose wires causing a burned connection at the terminal board. The breakers were tripping is the reason I opened the ATS and found the burned connections. I think I posted a pic of what I found and suggested at that time that others check their ATS for loose connections. You probably should (at least) change the terminal board as it was burned pretty badly.

Chuck
Old 06-20-2013
Geek

Thanks. I found that thread, and will check right away.
Old 06-20-2013
Geek

OK, I don't see any problems. Very obvious where you had the burnt terminal, but fortunately there were vacant terminals that you were able to move it to. I checked all of the screws, and all but one were "unturnably-tight." I was able to tighten one less than a 1/4 turn; it was definitely snug before. The relays look good. Some pitting, but not excessive, and they move freely.