Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Reasons I Bought My Bluebird

Reasons I Bought My Bluebird This is the place to list the reasons you decided to buy a Bluebird and direct others to who are considering a Bluebird.

Site Search:

Old 03-17-2014
WanderBee

Remember me talking about Norm heading north? About 3-4 days before our Sat AM appointment, I get a note from him that the weather is bad and he can’t make it back to the coach until Sat night. Oh crud!! That kind of puts a crimp in the plans. We had to scramble a bit but the wife and I decided to head to the beach for Saturday and then look at it on Sunday. We thought it would be nice to head to Daytona. Except I later learned it was bike week. Now, I could probably handle that scene myself – might even be fun to watch a time or 2. My wife? Not so much. Plus, there were NO hotels to be had.

Ultimately, she picked Clearwater Beach – and that was the final answer. Uh, dear…that’s 3.5+ hours from Jacksonville! No matter, Clearwater it was. So, I cancelled the previous hotel and car and made new hotel and rental car arrangements. The interesting part was that I had to completely redo my rental car – couldn’t just change it – and we ended up with a burgundy Mustang. It was weird because that Mustang was actually about half the cost of the next highest price class of car – which was a Prius. So, its Mustang vs Prius with the Mustang being half the cost. No contest!!!

The trip to Clearwater was interesting – spotted 2 yards on HWY 301 near Starke that were full of Christmas decorations. We are still scratching our head on that one. Plus, there was a fair going on in one of the towns. It made for an interesting ride - at least the first half was. The only excitement after that was dealing with the Tampa construction on 275 - no fun!

Finally, we arrived in Clearwater around 11:30 and the hotel had sold all of the rooms of the type we had booked so we were given us an upgrade to a suite – about 1500 sq foot of suite. It was a 3 bath, 2 bedroom suite with 2 balconies, a full kitchen, and a living room. All this for 2 people who were leaving the next day (and spending almost ZERO time in the room). That kind of cracked me up. The day started with breakfast on our balcony overlooking the ocean and then had a GREAT day on the beach that Saturday (much napping and laying around involved) and we both were rested and relaxed (we are very much beach people).

All in all, we're real happy it worked out the way it did. After coming off the beach and cleaing up (showers at the hotel fitness center/spa), we had a really nice dinner in Clearwater and then drove to our next hotel in Crystal River. That put us 30 minutes from the coach so we had a relatively short drive in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	27633  
Marietta, GA

Last edited by Joatha; 03-17-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2014
WanderBee

The morning came way too early after a restless night of anticipation for me – showered, ate and then headed on our way. The butterflies had really started for me the night before and they started for the wife as we headed out. I called Norm to let him know we were en route (and about 30 minutes behind) and off we went.

On our way, we ended up driving through the Goethe State Forest and spotted a bald eagle – it took off from the ground next to the road ahead of us and flew up in to a tree and perched. The sunlight was bursting through and it was quite a spectacular sight – not something that we get to see. We wish we could’ve gotten a picture of it all happening. Between the surprise of it and just being mesmerized, we didn’t think to whip out a camera or phone. For whatever reason, that scene put us more at ease and it was just about 10 minutes from there to see the coach.
Marietta, GA
Old 03-17-2014
WanderBee

The inspection and walk-through went smooth. My opinion upon reflection was that the interior showed better than the pictures and the exterior was just about what I had expected it to be. We spent about 3 hours going over things stem to stern and both Deborah and I asking questions. I was prepared with a 4 page checklist of things to look at and get explained and that helped a good bit. We were fairly overwhelmed with it all and it was good I had a place to make notes. I took PLENTY!

We followed that up with a test drive – which also featured my first time behind the wheel! I managed to miss the turn to go back to his place because I was too busy driving and didn’t really know the area at all. Fortunately, there was a second route and I was directed down that road.

From there, we finished out the paperwork, issued checks and the like, and made it all official.
Marietta, GA
Old 03-17-2014
WanderBee

So now I have to drive this behemoth home to our home in Marietta – 6+ hours! The good news was that we were in a more remote part of Florida that I had the first hour to drive on a two lane highway with little to no traffic. It took some getting used to but I managed to get to the Gainesville airport (about 45 minutes) with no incident and it was an easy trip for me. We dropped off our rental car and headed back to the interstate – where we planned to eat.

We encountered our first conundrum with regard to finding parking to eat. I had to circle the block a bit. But, I found a small service road behind a row of restaurants where another RV had parked and put it back there. We got some lunch and got back in the coach. I knew that I was going to need to get diesel but we had enough to get to Georgia where it would be a good bit cheaper than in Florida. So, off we went.

Now, there was a thread on here about the incoming weather. Remember that? Well, let’s just say that said weather was now blowing in. And by blowing, I mean blowing HARD with 20-30MPH gusts. I saw trees bending and bowing like crazy. How would you like to get your first real experience behind the wheel of a Bluebird at full highway speeds with that kind of wind?

Needless to say, there was a bit of a pucker factor going on. I had to keep the speeds down to about 60 or so for the first hour. I then got comfortable to run it to 65. But, that was it in this wind for a newbie like me. Meanwhile, we were rolling towards the state line – where we could see the line of storms coming in. The question was whether or not we could make it to Georgia and get some fuel before the rain started!
Marietta, GA
Old 03-17-2014
95 WB 42

Jonathan
Congratulations looks like a sweet Bird.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 03-17-2014

Nice write up. Waiting for the finish!

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 03-17-2014
BIG MAMA

Joatha,......excellent news!!! Hope you kids have as much fun as we have had/are!! Now go and see the good ole USA....and Canada...and Mexico!!

We left Randy and Carols this morning. We will be at Lake Altoona COE this week. Not too far from Marietta. We have adult children living near Canton.
2001 LXI single slide

04 M 380.......with goat rails SOLD
Old 03-17-2014

I know you've been a wannabee for a rather long time. Very happy for you and it sounds like you got a good one first time around. That's always a plus.

Best to do it as right as possible the first time and the price drop over the last couple of years didn't hurt either.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 03-17-2014
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpierce View Post
Nice write up. Waiting for the finish!
I haven't written the finish yet. I'll get to it tonight and/or tomorrow. It does include some high drama. Well...ok....maybe not HIGH drama - perhaps low drama is more accurate!
Marietta, GA
Old 03-17-2014
WanderBee

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the replies. This forum was a big reason I bought a Bluebird.
Marietta, GA