Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 10-19-2014

Default Winegard Travler Mount

Thinking about replacing the old KVH satellite dish on our M380 with a Winegard Travler Dish. We use DirectV in our home and in the FC and want to stick with this provider. Has anyone done this install themselves? Did you install it right on the roof or use the Winegard reinforcing plate the sell for "thin roofs"? Looks like Amazon has a good price on the latest version of this unit.
1984 FC35 SB Wanderlodge II (sold)
Old 10-23-2014

Default When installing dish use caution to avoid flexing thin roof skin

Eric

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. But wanted to mention a caution about the roof (other than be careful when you're up there). When I was shopping for my coach I saw several M380s with severely flaking/peeling clearcoat/paint over parts of the roof, mainly around areas where it appeared installers had done work. It looked like the concentrated pressure of feet walking around up there had flexed the thin aluminum skin enough to crack the clearcoat and the sun/weather/wind had done the rest. To hopefully stop this from happening, when I'm on the roof I use plywood to spread out my weight over a wider area and crawl instead of walk whenever possible. Lastly, check out the extension ladders at Northern Tool. The one I purchased is lightweight, very sturdy and compacts nicely to fit in the flat horizontal storage bay.

Van
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	32381  
Old 10-23-2014

Thanks Van,
Unfortunately, it looks like our roof has the kind of damage you're talking about. I haven't walked around on it so far, just looked it over from a tall step ladder. Your tips on using plywood and crawling rather than walking will be utilized as I proceed with the dish install. Your points argue for using the Winegard reinforcement plate for the install.
1984 FC35 SB Wanderlodge II (sold)
Old 10-23-2014

I just installed an RF Mogul DirectTV Eagle HD dish myself. It's similar to the Winegard, but bigger diameter, which doesn't blank out as much as others during rain. The electronics are super and it finds the satellite very quickly. We're very satisfied with it. They shipped it directly to me at Ernie's house and I carried it up the ladder on the roof by myself. It has special plates and mounts for thin roofs.

http://rfmogul.com/

I have no financial interest in this company
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 10-23-2014

I don't want to have anyone damage the roof of their coach by listening to my experience. However, while earlier installing the goat rails and recently installing the solar panels and closing off the opening that vented the Dometic refrigerator, I have spent considerable time on the roof of my M380. While I wouldn't and haven't walked about with baseball or golfing spikes, I have not seen any reason not to walk with almost any rubber soled shoes. It of course does not have the additional aluminum deck plate or extrusions that the previous Birds, but seems to be as solid as the bare steel was on my SP. I wouldn't suggest placing chairs up there as we have done with the SP, but I have not felt any need to refrain from walking on it when needed.
Old 10-23-2014

I've walked a couple of miles on the roof of mine. Haven't noticed any ill effects.
Old 10-23-2014

Here's a couple pics I dug up of two of the coaches I was talking about. The first had solar panels and a Traveler dish installed by workers (sadly the rest of the coach had issues). The roof damage was all around the panels and places where they had worked, as you can see. Maybe they wore golf shoes when they did the work? Either way, they did allot of damage and I still plan to be extra careful when I'm up there. When I get around to doing the antenna project I will be ordering the extra plate. Better safe than sorry. The coach in the left picture had the dish mounted up front just behind the spot light. Where do you plan on putting yours Eric?

PS - Jim: Saw your coach in the first WOG rally drone video at 2:12. From the air those solar panels stand out! Wish we were there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	32392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	32393  

Last edited by NoGas; 10-23-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2014
Geek

just based on the pictorial evidence I would have said sun blistering...
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 10-23-2014

It has been my experience that the roof of all Birds suffer from paint issues long before the lower body does. I think it is a combination of more UV exposure and the fact that it appears that not as much paint and clearcoat was applied to the top. It usually shows up on steel coaches as fading and peeling on the rounded edges that are not protected by the deck plates and on the entire roof of our 380's because of all the roof being exposed. Check back in 10 years and I will see if the roof under the solar panels looks better than the rest of the roof.
Old 10-23-2014

I don't think it had much to do with installers. The elements!
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656